Early season and standing corn

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Prairie Sasquatch

Re: Early season and standing corn

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:52 am

The bigger bucks will often move a row or two in the corn. I shot mine earlier this week sitting in a low spot that drowned out and stunted the corn. He was maybe 25 feet when I shot him but in the first row. This was a ground set up.

Inside corners on fields or fence lines with the wind blowing toward the corner are your best bets. They can scent check and see into the open field. If something spooks them they escape into the corn.

Fence lines like on the THP hunt are like highways especially with corn or sunflowers on both sides and they move late in the morning and early in daylight on these spots.

Easy to monitor with a trail camera too.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Prairie Sasquatch wrote:The bigger bucks will often move a row or two in the corn. I shot mine earlier this week sitting in a low spot that drowned out and stunted the corn. He was maybe 25 feet when I shot him but in the first row. This was a ground set up.

Inside corners on fields or fence lines with the wind blowing toward the corner are your best bets. They can scent check and see into the open field. If something spooks them they escape into the corn.

Fence lines like on the THP hunt are like highways especially with corn or sunflowers on both sides and they move late in the morning and early in daylight on these spots.

Easy to monitor with a trail camera too.

This.

A travel corridor like that with a small piece of bedding structure nearby is an excellent set up. Especially if you have a good idea which direction he’ll leave bedding.
MarbleEye

Unread postby MarbleEye » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 am

Well I gave it a go Saturday evening. Came across a spot in the corn that a 10 foot section had the first 4 rows browsed down to half height which created a pretty nice natural blind. Had 2 does and a fawn cross in front at 15 yards. Was a gorgeous evening to be out.

Return to “Deer Hunting”