Bedding on tip of island , wind specific ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wolfofmibu

Bedding on tip of island , wind specific ?

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:50 am

I have this island that has a cluster of oaks , and then it narrows out through swamp grass and low vegetation . And then tapers off to a point before it turns into cat tails again. That’s where I found his bed. Would this be wind specific ? Or on any wind?. The narrow spot is kinda open.. although I haven’t seen it with green up yet. But from his bed I could almost see to the oak island . That’s where I was going to plan on setting up.. I was planning on sitting on the front of the island where I can shoot to the left or right . That’s where his Rublines skirt the edge on each side. So should I hunt it in that manner with a off wind and kill him before he catches my scent on either side?. Or do any beast recommend something better ?. I attached a pic below for reference . I’ll also add that the buck bed is about 130 yards from the oak island .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wolfofmibu

Re: Bedding on tip of island , wind specific ?

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:54 am

Here’s some of his rubs and actual bed. It did have hair and poop after the season. Could not determine if it was him tho .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
botemple

Unread postby botemple » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:19 am

I'm no expert on this, but I would guess he is bedding there with the wind at his back while we watches the opening to the oak island. Think about how this bed sets up to the bucks advantage. With any sort of north or easterly wind (assuming this pic is oriented with North at the top) he could smell and hear a predator coming through the cattails. He covers the area he can't smell or hear with his eyes giving him 360 degrees of protection. I'm curious how my answer would compare to other more seasoned beast hunters.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 pm

botemple wrote:I'm no expert on this, but I would guess he is bedding there with the wind at his back while we watches the opening to the oak island. Think about how this bed sets up to the bucks advantage. With any sort of north or easterly wind (assuming this pic is oriented with North at the top) he could smell and hear a predator coming through the cattails. He covers the area he can't smell or hear with his eyes giving him 360 degrees of protection. I'm curious how my answer would compare to other more seasoned beast hunters.

Thanks for the reply!, that is a good guess . Except behind him it’s a huge pond where predators will never reach him. This whole entire island is surrounded by waist deep water and in the back behind his bed it’s over my head . But what you said makes sense . I am also curious to see what others say. 8-)
botemple

Unread postby botemple » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:51 pm

I realized that after watching Dan's youtube video "Hunting Big Bucks on Marsh Islands", I was way off on my answer. Give the video a watch, it is almost the exact same set up as your scenario.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:27 pm

Guessing he might have a few different spots on that island for different winds. That tip could work for a lot of different winds like W, S & even E, however if a N wind showed up he might end up on the other tip. Looks like a great spot, good luck this fall!
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:28 am

headgear wrote:Guessing he might have a few different spots on that island for different winds. That tip could work for a lot of different winds like W, S & even E, however if a N wind showed up he might end up on the other tip. Looks like a great spot, good luck this fall!

Thanks headgear I’ll keep that in mind !, hopefully it’s not a Michigan spike :lol: . But good luck to you this seas as well.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:29 am

Ahh I totally forgot about this video !!, thanks Dan. I’ll give it a watch .
botemple

Unread postby botemple » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:43 am

Thanks for posting the video Dan. When I saw this video last night I immediately thought of this thread and how similar those spots are.
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:16 am

Dan, based on this video you’re preference is to hunt this point bedding on a north /northeast wind? Are most of these island points wind specific or would you also give it a shot on a southerly wind? I’ve got a couple identical setups the past couple years but hunted it with a southerly wind and I’m seeing 2 ½ yr old bucks at best…
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:24 am

I would hunt it on a south wind too in most cases
Johnny-6-fingers

Unread postby Johnny-6-fingers » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:47 pm

What about if you find a bed out in the middle of the cattails 40 yards off of an island (with the bed positioned so that the buck can face the timber/island). Would they be using this bed with the wind blowing at their back toward the island? How would you get close enough to hunt this buck with all of the likely satelite bedding at the tip of the island? What wind would you set up on in this situation?

Return to “Deer Hunting”