Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Flat, remote, thick, low land...

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:58 am

Elite wrote:Are you sure the hair you were finding was from deer and not Dan’s but crack?

Great video!! It seemed you needed to investigate that area more compared to previous videos. Job well done :clap:

certainly harder terrain to read than marsh or hills.... Dan but hair is 2 feet long and stiff like Copper wird.

MOtgrinMI

Unread postby MOtgrinMI » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 am

One thing that really impresses me about these scouting videos is how quickly Dan processes all the "evidence" or sign and info he gathers when scouting an area. I tend to hem and haw a while longer about what I am seeing before putting it all together but Dan seems to fly at warp speed. Loving this series of videos as they get me all jacked up about scouting and how fun it is. I can feel the excitement you all have when you find a good area. Thanks for the videos!
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:09 am

dan wrote:
sojourner wrote:
dan wrote:
sojourner wrote:Great video. I hunt an area like this.

Question, any reason no one is talking about taking a step ladder back there, brushing it in and sitting on that? Especially where it is “brushy” and the brush is not big enough to support a stand?
Actually it was discussed at one point but was not put in the video... it would be a good idea except to be legal it would have to be taken in and out every day, and we were 3.5 miles from the truck

Thanks Dan. The area I have access to (similar to video) I had a close encounter with a buck with a step ladder. I see tons of sign in areas like this. It seems to me that the deer feel safer there with limited ability for stands. I was able to legally leave my step ladder there, but it got stolen. I am going to have to pick up another ladder just for that area gain. Thankfully it is less than a mile in.

Again, thanks.

A couple of years ago I broke my ladder and wanted a new one so I went to a fleä market specifically looking for ladders. I found one for$15. as im carrying it to my truck a guy shouts out he has a couple for $10.. so I bought them, and as me and Carol are carrying them to the truck we hear some shouting and look back and there are about 4 or 5 guys with ladder I. there hands shouting to us... I nearly had to run out of there... lol... you ever need a hunting ladder, go to a flea market

Hitting the flea market this weekend to hunt for a step ladder. Thx. :D
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:10 am

MOtgrinMI wrote:One thing that really impresses me about these scouting videos is how quickly Dan processes all the "evidence" or sign and info he gathers when scouting an area. I tend to hem and haw a while longer about what I am seeing before putting it all together but Dan seems to fly at warp speed. Loving this series of videos as they get me all jacked up about scouting and how fun it is. I can feel the excitement you all have when you find a good area. Thanks for the videos!

Amen to that. The sign generally related to entrance and exit is a huge learning point for me.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:21 am

Another great video as usual but really glad you showed this one. It's funny- I was scouting terrain almost identical to that yesterday. I noticed too how last season rubs were concentrated in one area, but actually dried up once I followed the creek and pushed in further. There were historic rubs in further- nothing big though. All of the larger buck/fresh sign was in a thick tangle only about 150-200 yds from a 2 track. Seemed odd and backwards of what I expected, but Im sure theirs a reason.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:05 am

Question, any reason no one is talking about taking a step ladder back there, brushing it in and sitting on that? Especially where it is “brushy” and the brush is not big enough to support a stand?

Why not just make a bunch of makeshift ground blinds in the summer then sit in them with a ghillie in the fall, way easier?

Ive been hunting spots without trees in this way since the early 90s and find it far more lethal than hunting out of treestands in more easily accessible spots as deer move pretty much all day in spots without trees ive found. In fact, most of the time I don't even have a ground blind set up and just find cover to sit in with my ghillie. I think a ladder would actually be more of a hindrance than helpful unless youre like doing drives or something?

Hunt where the deer are killable even if that means you gotta hunt on the ground.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:03 am

szwampdonkey wrote:

Why not just make a bunch of makeshift ground blinds in the summer then sit in them with a ghillie in the fall, way easier?

Ive been hunting spots without trees in this way since the early 90s and find it far more lethal than hunting out of treestands in more easily accessible spots as deer move pretty much all day in spots without trees ive found. In fact, most of the time I don't even have a ground blind set up and just find cover to sit in with my ghillie. I think a ladder would actually be more of a hindrance than helpful unless youre like doing drives or something?

Hunt where the deer are killable even if that means you gotta hunt on the ground.

agree to a point... but elevation is far better than eye Level most of the time. Where the ladder comes in Handy is in the grassy openings that are surrounded with dogwood... ground would get busted without cover, but up in the dogwood brush you can blend in and shoot over the grass and brush that would deflect an arrow... But, inside the small trees you cant get elevated and ground Level has open shooting. ground is far superior in tjat instance
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:06 am

Wow does that place look like an awesome mess. Thinking about how thick and bug infested that area is in early season gets me excited for the hunt video. Would be some close quarters footage for sure and a real adventure of a hunt. That’s even before being successful.

The length of these videos is especially a treat. It’s like movie night in my household. Thanks again.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:29 am

Awesome.

Looks similar to an area I recently scouted.

Screenshot_20210414-152728_onX Hunt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:54 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Awesome.

Yep 8-)

1386.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 am

szwampdonkey wrote:

I have a ghillie and wear it sometimes. When I had my close encounter, no ghillie, just cabelas camo.

The area I hunt that has this environment has rules that shots must be taken from an elevated position. Also, using the step ladder, the height I get is advantageous for me to see further along the trails. There is also brushy area that I would never be able to get a step ladder in.

I’ve hunted in ground blinds, but they are just not something I like to use.

I definitely like the idea of sitting on the ground in a ghillie. That would have to be on a different property.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:10 am

greenhorndave wrote:

Yep 8-)

1386.jpg

You need to stop following me :lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Yep 8-)

1386.jpg

You need to stop following me :lol: :lol: :lol:

If both you guys send me coordinates, perhaps and can go verify.... Not in Nov of course
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:46 am

I really hope I see y’all hunt this spot this fall and make a kill in there.

Rick should save his antler and use it as toothpick!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:56 am

I really enjoyed this video. I have been doing a lot of scouting this spring and have found a lot of beds and trails and sign and whatnot. But I have failed to thoroughly scout each area enough to get the full picture. This video connected a lot of dots for me. Thanks for that!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”