Beast sticks. Packing them? Buckleless?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Beast sticks. Packing them? Buckleless?

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:03 am

Got a set of beast sticks this year really like them for the most part . But am struggling finding a good way to pack them. Most of the stuff I hunt is incredibly thick so if I lay them sideways on the stand they catch everything. I have been laying then with the tree cleat facing up and doing 2 and 2 on each side of the seat post. That works pretty good but being the steps stick out beyond my shoulders a bit they still catch a fair amount brush. Any help appreciated.

Added. Anyone doing the buckleless method with these sticks?

Earn what’s never given.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Beast sticks. Packing them? Buckleless?

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:07 pm

No advice here... I have the same challenges with them. I pack them horizontal and they get caught on a lot of brush and green briar I have to make my way through. I've actually just switched back to my LW sticks. They may be a bit heavier but they don't get snagged when packed up and at least now, that's more important to me. I may go back to them when the foliage is down and things are a bit less thick...

I haven't used them buckleless but I have used the rope mod which works fine.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Not saying I recommend anyone do it, but the steps can be made to pivot. Makes packing sweet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:31 pm

I use stick talons, which do stick out to the sides some, but generally can make my way through thick stuff. I had more trouble with LW sticks protruding up. They would always get snagged while ducking under stuff. Any stand/ stick combo is going to be a pain going through the thick.

I had a few ground hunts this year and it was great walking in without a stand.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:33 pm

Im using helium sticks with my LW assault this year and kinda having the same dilemma on how to pack them properly. Last season I had regular LW sticks with stick talons from Cgbigbear. I just hate the design of the LW sticks and went with helium sticks. So far I am using a single bungee cord and so far works good and I also pull all the straps off the sticks and keep them in my pack until I need them.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:47 pm

I have the mini sticks. They were catching brush so I started bungeeing them vertical to my mission platform . Solved the problem . Only thing now is the rub up against my saddle and showing wear from it
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Im using helium sticks with my LW assault this year and kinda having the same dilemma on how to pack them properly. Last season I had regular LW sticks with stick talons from Cgbigbear. I just hate the design of the LW sticks and went with helium sticks. So far I am using a single bungee cord and so far works good and I also pull all the straps off the sticks and keep them in my pack until I need them.

Any reason you’re not using Talons since switching to Hawks?
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:18 pm

You need a back pack to do it this way, but it works well for me. Also no chance of a metal on metal noise with the pack in between. The buckles are in my backpack with my sweatshirt and rock climbing harness.
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:28 pm

I have mine horizontal. It’s not too bad, but I like them vertical better because they disappear behind me better when slinking through the brush. I need to work on a better way, but it’s not bad.

I use the rope mod. I like it.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:37 pm

greenhorndave wrote:I have mine horizontal. It’s not too bad, but I like them vertical better because they disappear behind me better when slinking through the brush. I need to work on a better way, but it’s not bad.

Still bite well?
Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:38 pm

ZSV wrote:Image

You need a back pack to do it this way, but it works well for me. Also no chance of a metal on metal noise with the pack in between. The buckles are in my backpack with my sweatshirt and rock climbing harness.

This would work well if I put my camo between the stand and sticks.
Earn what’s never given.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:52 pm

20201018_120818.jpg

Here is how I'm carrying them with the saddle platform. They're all clipped together with a lone wolf kwik clip, then a piece of webbing with clips on each end turns the whole deal into a messenger bag. I usually spin it behind me, no issues going through heavy brush or the sticks snagging on my clothes. I have my pack lid secured to the top with all my stuff in there- release, flashlight, face mask, hat, etc. Now that its getting cold, I will start bungee strapping my winter layers to the sticks. Or for long hikes in where I dont want to go back to the car for my frame pack and kill kit, I will strap sticks and platform to my pack and bring it all.

Here's how I carried my beast sticks with my lone wolf assault, its the only way to go, in my opinion. Stick talons and two sticks on each side. Low profile and one trip up the tree. Nevermore, dont have that pic on my phone anymore, let me dig it up.

Found one on Instagram, not great but it gives you the general idea

Screenshot_20201018-225643_Instagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:02 pm

wolfie729 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:I have mine horizontal. It’s not too bad, but I like them vertical better because they disappear behind me better when slinking through the brush. I need to work on a better way, but it’s not bad.

Still bite well?

Yep, absolutely no difference. Might sag a smidge more before they bite, but the performance is the same.

Trout... those are great ideas
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:47 pm

ZSV wrote:Image

Agreed vertical is the ticket, with a pack or your layers in between the stand and sticks
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:40 pm

cbigbear wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Im using helium sticks with my LW assault this year and kinda having the same dilemma on how to pack them properly. Last season I had regular LW sticks with stick talons from Cgbigbear. I just hate the design of the LW sticks and went with helium sticks. So far I am using a single bungee cord and so far works good and I also pull all the straps off the sticks and keep them in my pack until I need them.

Any reason you’re not using Talons since switching to Hawks?

I would love some for helium sticks if you make them!!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”