Just on wind..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Just on wind..

Unread postby trob_205 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:07 pm

So I’m finally going to get another straight south wind with maybe even a touch of E in it. (Very similar condition to observed movement of a certain buck). Been waiting for a couple weeks on it, but the wind direction is about the only thing going for me. Calling for a high 60s/low 70s temp as a hi. I’m not sold on the moon but looks like the moon is overhead at @ 7pm so maybe that’s going for me?

So the main question here is would you guys go in after a buck into know bedding when all you have is the wanted wind direction? Looks like I’ll have pretty decent wind cover to maybe push the envelope on how close I should get. What are the beast thoughts?

Swamp Stache

Re: Just on wind..

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:31 pm

I guess I would. Just with the thinking that you may not get the wind you want to line up with any other factors before he starts roaming more pre rut. But my wall aint quite as full as most the guys around here.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:05 pm

Swamp Stache wrote:I guess I would. Just with the thinking that you may not get the wind you want to line up with any other factors before he starts roaming more pre rut. But my wall aint quite as full as most the guys around here.

Here’s the kicker, I have the pre-rut and rut pretty well pegged in this farm. I’d really like this deer down before November. There’s very nice deer that shows up in early November and I’d like for him to not have any competition when he gets here. I very much would be ok with putting a tag on either and dont really want to just pressure the out of this 8 point. He’s a 6.5 year old this year and would really like to see him on my wall instead of on trail camera lol
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:51 pm

Cant kill him sitting on the porch with the lil woman.

If you have the correct wind for him to be there and for you to get close enough to get him. Me personally I would be after him.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:13 pm

If you know he's there now, hunt him now.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:03 am

Gotta hunt him when he's there - good luck.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:25 am

If you are getting close to where he is bedding the wind is all you need. You don’t need him to move far. So my decision would be based on how far I think/know I am from where he is bedded.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”