Bowhunting & Blood Tracking

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mbone1327

Re: Bowhunting & Blood Tracking

Unread postby mbone1327 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:39 pm

Cool stuff.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:08 am

megavites wrote:
tim wrote:Where on the deer was your hit, I have had this blood before on a low passthrough right behind front leg but killed the deer . Bloo didn’t start for about 75 yards then opened up to carpet of bright red blood then one big pile of this blood that was frothy then more of the same bright red blood to the deer. Deer was bumped once but died 30 yards later

Hit was rear ham femoral artery. He stopped at a fence and left that frothy blood then bled all over low standing crops to a backyard 300yds away. Too weak to move.

Single ham or pass thru?
megavites

Unread postby megavites » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:13 am

<DK> wrote:
megavites wrote:
tim wrote:Where on the deer was your hit, I have had this blood before on a low passthrough right behind front leg but killed the deer . Bloo didn’t start for about 75 yards then opened up to carpet of bright red blood then one big pile of this blood that was frothy then more of the same bright red blood to the deer. Deer was bumped once but died 30 yards later

Hit was rear ham femoral artery. He stopped at a fence and left that frothy blood then bled all over low standing crops to a backyard 300yds away. Too weak to move.

Single ham or pass thru?

single ham
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:25 am

Bubbles are from the blood puddling and it dropping. Same as peeing in a toilet. My dad had a butcher shop for years. You see this periodically.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:25 am

Prairie Sasquatch wrote:Bubbles are from the blood puddling and it dropping. Same as peeing in a toilet. My dad had a butcher shop for years. You see this periodically.

Awesome I did not know this. Mine kept leaving big piles of blood so it had to be running out of it fast but only one was frothy. I had Initially though it was blood coming out of the mouth but no blood was from out of the mouth....thanks again
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:15 am

The general consensus on deer hit with shots that are back is to wait because the deer takes longer to die. Can anyone with a more medical background explain why something shot through the stomach, liver, or intestines takes longer to die? Is it less blood vessels, less blood in general, clotting factors higher, etc? Its something you always here but don't actually know the science behind it.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:26 am

strehb18 wrote:The general consensus on deer hit with shots that are back is to wait because the deer takes longer to die. Can anyone with a more medical background explain why something shot through the stomach, liver, or intestines takes longer to die? Is it less blood vessels, less blood in general, clotting factors higher, etc? Its something you always here but don't actually know the science behind it.

I would say that a quick death is mostly due to the animals blood pressure leaving the body. A hole through the guts doesn’t allow this to happen.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:32 am

matt1336 wrote:
strehb18 wrote:The general consensus on deer hit with shots that are back is to wait because the deer takes longer to die. Can anyone with a more medical background explain why something shot through the stomach, liver, or intestines takes longer to die? Is it less blood vessels, less blood in general, clotting factors higher, etc? Its something you always here but don't actually know the science behind it.

I would say that a quick death is mostly due to the animals blood pressure leaving the body. A hole through the guts doesn’t allow this to happen.

I was curious myself as to the medical reasoning:

"Unlike deer hit in the vitals, which die quickly of shock and hemorrhage, paunched deer usually die of septicemia (blood poisoning), during which the deer may experience symptoms similar to a really bad case of the flu — pain, nausea and fever.

The latter is why paunched deer are often recovered near water. The fever causes severe thirst. Though the deer probably can't comprehend why, they crave and seek out water. I've assisted in numerous recovery efforts and found several gut-shot deer lying near or even in ponds or streams."

https://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial ... eer/309384
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:48 am

<DK> wrote:
matt1336 wrote:

I was curious myself as to the medical reasoning:

"Unlike deer hit in the vitals, which die quickly of shock and hemorrhage, paunched deer usually die of septicemia (blood poisoning), during which the deer may experience symptoms similar to a really bad case of the flu — pain, nausea and fever.

The latter is why paunched deer are often recovered near water. The fever causes severe thirst. Though the deer probably can't comprehend why, they crave and seek out water. I've assisted in numerous recovery efforts and found several gut-shot deer lying near or even in ponds or streams."

https://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial ... eer/309384

Interesting. I wonder how the pass through statistic listed in Shane's data plays into the blood poisoning angle if that is what kills them most likely. I wonder if the pass through would then allow blood to more continuously bleed and aid in death.
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:32 pm

<DK> wrote:Well its that time of year again, I am seeing lots of posts lately w some nice bucks. I was looking for Shan's reply and decided to give this a bump.

I found his YouTube Channel as well. Hes got 2018 and 2019 track jobs uploaded. Great watches!

Funny you should bump this. I just posted a new video today. :D

https://youtu.be/j8cRijl0XIY
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:07 am

simpzenith wrote:
<DK> wrote:Well its that time of year again, I am seeing lots of posts lately w some nice bucks. I was looking for Shan's reply and decided to give this a bump.

I found his YouTube Channel as well. Hes got 2018 and 2019 track jobs uploaded. Great watches!

Funny you should bump this. I just posted a new video today. :D

Hey welcome back! Your videos and info are great man. It gives me confidence to keep looking. I look forward to more stats. I enjoy the maps you draw on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”