Are garmins worth it ???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

burtle

Are garmins worth it ???

Unread postby burtle » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:48 pm

Do any of you use a handheld gps (Garmin) for hunting? Are they actually accurate? I want to be able to get to my stand in the dark in the morning and then after the sun goes down take the same path I came in on. I just wasn’t sure if they are that accurate...I’m looking at the garmin 64st

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Are garmins worth it ???

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:05 pm

I have an older model, circa 2012, and the accuracy on that model in my experience has been +/- 10yards with decent canopy cover. They seem to be really accurate with a clear sky. They may have improved quite a bit in the past 8 years, but I am just speculating there.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:55 pm

burtle wrote:Do any of you use a handheld gps (Garmin) for hunting? Are they actually accurate? I want to be able to get to my stand in the dark in the morning and then after the sun goes down take the same path I came in on. I just wasn’t sure if they are that accurate...I’m looking at the garmin 64st

We used em in the Army, I keep the etrex 10 on me at all times. There super accurate, just let it cook for a few min and acquire satellites. I moved to mostly using onx but its not that accurate. Ill mark trees I know I wanna go to with the garmin.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:23 pm

My Garmin Oregon easily gets me within 10 yards. Hard to beat a dedicated GPS for getting you very close. Zoomed way in I can easily follow step for step on my recorded track.

I agree the accuracy of OnX isn’t too good lately.
Bud TN

Unread postby Bud TN » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:46 pm

I’ll go ahead and apologize for the length....

I have a 62st model. I never leave home without it. I also use onX, but it is aggravating in “offline” mode. My garmin works wherever whenever. I live and hunt in an area with zero cell service. OnX topomaps are fantastic when compared to my standard garmin 100k topo. Garmin works anywhere in the 50 states. You have to buy an annual package for onX (get it from camofire if you do). On x has way more features. But to work correctly In Offline mode you have to download the map then zoom into the areas you want to walk/scout. This ensure it is loaded correctly and the maps are not blurry. Then it works fine. If you don’t get the ENTIRE area resolved before going into offline mode you can run into blurry map regions even if you “downloaded” the area (no matter what size of map you download this happens to me). So offline mode REALLY doesn’t quite work offline all the time. And Do not restart your phone and expect your map to come back. This is why I always carry my garmin in the background. I find it to be acurate enough to get me to my destination in the dark with 5yrds. The garmin 62st uses 2 AAs. If you use it for 10-12hrs straight, you will go through a set. I usually only need to replace batteries after 6-8 scouting trips depending on how long I walk. Garmin tracks your steps as soon as you turn it on. The onx feature must be activated every time you want it to track your trail.
I hunt way back in the Appalachian mountains and pass through some VERY DENSE laurel and ivy thickets getting to my stands and don’t have any issues with reception getting where I need to go (on either onX or garmin).

my garmin 62st was DEFINITELY worth the money I paid 8-10years ago. It’s built like a tank!! I have put it through the ringer and it still works like a champ!!!

OnX is also well worth the $$$. They both have there place and both are very accurate. Both have pluses and minuses.

If I were to upgrade today I would get a garmin with in-reach capabilities. With a young family at home, being able to get in touch with them or Vise versa is a must have.
As you get older the “what if’s” start to weigh on you when you are hanging 15-30 ft up in a tree, miles from your truck and several more miles Driving Just to get back into cell service.

I would Also still keep onX just for the maps and other features.
Carrying 2 extra AAs is a lot easier and less cumbersome than a power cord and battery cell for a smart phone IMO.

My garmin has never let me down. My “smartphone” has...
Get the garmin. You won’t regret it.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:53 pm

I dont leave home without mine. And i use mine to get in and out in the dark.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:52 am

Handheld GPS units are pretty low cost at this point. Is it worth it is really dependent upon how and where you hunt IMO. Most of my local public is under 2,000 acres, with the majority under 500. I'm also in pretty reasonable cell range on most parcels I hunt regularly. In my case, my phone GPS works just fine, though I always have a compass too. At 2,000 acres on the large side, I can almost invariably know what direction I have to head for an hour or two to get out if I were to get lost in a marsh. At those sizes too, even going in blind to a new spot I cyber-scouted I don't find I often need a GPS to get where I'm going or out, but that's specific to my situation.

Now hunting larger more remote areas, I do and would opt for a handheld dedicated GPS, at least as back-up.
ol_ben

Unread postby ol_ben » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:33 am

I use my phone for almost all my GPS mapping needs. I have the Garmin Instinct watch as a backup, though, and always at least mark my vehicle on my watch in case my phone dies. I can also use the watch to find my current location on a UTM grid and navigate from there with a map and compass. To me if I were to buy a dedicated GPS I would just be getting a crappier smaller screen to navigate with compared to my phone, plus one more thing to bring (my phone is with me anyway). If you don't have a smartphone or just like the way the standalones work there's nothing wrong with it.
burtle

Unread postby burtle » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:11 am

Thanks so much for all the replies. I like onX but at times I have no service at all and even the offline maps don’t help me.

I pulled the trigger today and ordered a garmin 64st. I can’t wait to get it. I have a year of Birdseye for free and whatever other maps come with it. 100k it says. So I’ll see what it’s like.

If any of you have any other map suggestions let me know and I’ll order and download them onto my new garmin.

I hunt Illinois and Missouri
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:44 pm

Go to gpsfiledepot.com for maps. Much better topo maps than what comes with the unit.
Let's go Brandon!
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:01 pm

I bought a garmin astro 320 6 years or so ago and works great for me. I bought it so when I'm running dogs I can track them, but I also use it hunting and it works awesome. I second what mihunter said about getting different topomaps, the ones on the unit aren't that good.
Hillcountrydevil

Unread postby Hillcountrydevil » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:02 pm

I use mine all the time. Some good videos out there on how to use google earth to do map overlay. You can take a pic/screenshot of any map then make it so you can add it you your gps. It can be a little fussy but I have had good luck.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:23 pm

I got 64s with topo card in it. Yes it is accurate. Be sure and get one that will show location with you standing still. Some you got to move to get a location. Also I like GPS for marking where deer gave up ghost. Makes a trip back into get it a lot easier. I would call Garmin and speak to them. They are helpful.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:05 pm

Imo anything that gives u and your family security that u can make it back home is well worth the cover charge. Some can do it with woodsmanship, others a simple compass, and some either phone or handheld gps. Majority of stuff I hunt is under 75 acres so I’m no authority on the stuff. But piece of mind is worth a lot imo.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:42 pm

I like my 600. It’s accurate.
I’ve got onX and Huntstand on my phone. They’re ok when I’ve got a signal.
It’ll be interesting to see which is better in Colorado
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”