Strategies for after gun season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

Strategies for after gun season

Unread postby DhD » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:55 pm

It's that time of the season, the orange army descends on the woods this Saturday in Nebraska. I don't like being out in the woods with that many other people shooting high powered rifles in a place this flat, so I avoid rifle season. Curious as to what other beast's strategies are for getting back to archery hunting after gun season. At what point if ever do they get back to a somewhat normal pattern? There are a few properties around that do not allow rifle hunting, that may be a good place to start?

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Re: Strategies for after gun season

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:27 am

It won’t take long since y’all’s gun season is only a week long. By thanksgiving they will be back to the normal routine. Some seeking the last does and most seeking the hot food source.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:58 am

DhD wrote:It's that time of the season, the orange army descends on the woods this Saturday in Nebraska. I don't like being out in the woods with that many other people shooting high powered rifles in a place this flat, so I avoid rifle season. Curious as to what other beast's strategies are for getting back to archery hunting after gun season. At what point if ever do they get back to a somewhat normal pattern? There are a few properties around that do not allow rifle hunting, that may be a good place to start?

That’s where I would start, based on the theory that darn near all hunters will be headed out with guns. Might be an incorrect theory, but one I am going to try as well. In my small mind, pressure will be up everywhere else with less-than-normal pressure on the non-rifle areas.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:21 am

I'm going to drive by a could of them this week during rifle and see what the pressure is like.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:34 am

DhD wrote:I'm going to drive by a could of them this week during rifle and see what the pressure is like.

Depends on what part of the state as well.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:11 am

Yeah I am in southeast Nebraska, which is definitely the most populated area. I'm just gonna do a bunch of road scouting tomorrow and Sunday and see where the pressure isn't. I think the areas I have been hunting are gonna get hit really hard. Time to move on to something new.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:44 am

DhD wrote:It's that time of the season, the orange army descends on the woods this Saturday in Nebraska. I don't like being out in the woods with that many other people shooting high powered rifles in a place this flat, so I avoid rifle season. Curious as to what other beast's strategies are for getting back to archery hunting after gun season. At what point if ever do they get back to a somewhat normal pattern? There are a few properties around that do not allow rifle hunting, that may be a good place to start?

Never go to PA or MI during archery season then, I'd say that Nebraskas rifle pressure comes close to what we see during archery!
That said, you'd really be surprised how fast they return to normal. The thing is though, the little tolerance they did have prior to rifle is now gone. The one sit rule rings truer now then ever before. The single biggest thing you should be looking for is the hottest food source. Then getting super aggressive and get in the and kill. No time to be timid now, once they get your wind and ground scent they'll move on, or find a new way to hit that food source....
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:47 am

Second morning of rifle and my cell cams have gone from showing deer throughout the day to zero deer and five hunters today. Hopefully a few of those good bucks make it thru and give me something to chase late season. It sure didnt take them long to adapt. This is the first day since I put them out I havent gotten a single deer on camera in the morning.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”