Hill country bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigwoodslongbow

Hill country bedding

Unread postby Bigwoodslongbow » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:19 am

I live in northern vermont.
If I bow hunt down in the valley and swamps killing deer isnt hard.
Bow hunting the mountains I really struggle with for bucks

I watch these videos on finding buck beds in winter and spring to hunt hill countrt but thats not possible here. There is 3ft of snow until April and into may... They dont bed in mountains duing the winter and dont go bavk to the mountains until summer when there is food

How do I locate these beds without jumping the deer out of them?

I'm talking early season just to be clear... During the rut anyone can go kill a buck at a funnel

Airborne

Re: Hill country bedding

Unread postby Airborne » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:06 pm

I rewached the DVDs and here is the result!!! My bestest buck to date.

thank you Dan and the team!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:58 am

Bigwoodslongbow wrote:I live in northern vermont.

I watch these videos on finding buck beds in winter and spring to hunt hill countrt but thats not possible here. There is 3ft of snow until April and into may... They dont bed in mountains duing the winter and dont go bavk to the mountains until summer when there is food

I'm talking early season just to be clear... During the rut anyone can go kill a buck at a funnel

Though I didn't have a clue about Beast tactics while I lived in MT. I can somewhat relate to your problem. The mountain country bucks winter down low, 3000'-4000'. Can summer above 7000'. And spend the late fall/rut chasing does at mid elevations. Add in how much the terrain can alter "prevailing" wind direction and there can seem like there's no rhyme or reason to where they bed. If they're are in big hill/small mountain terrain. That mainly rolls and has few real steep areas. Bedding shifts up and down, depending on how hard the wind is blowing. Add in low deer densities, and finding consistently used buck beds can be futile.

I think Dan needs to go to a state like Vermont and help sort it out!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:58 am

Go bump em, learn what you can and use what you learned for next year.
Bigwoodslongbow

Unread postby Bigwoodslongbow » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:25 pm

stash59 wrote:
Bigwoodslongbow wrote:I live in northern vermont.

Though I didn't have a clue about Beast tactics while I lived in MT. I can somewhat relate to your problem. The mountain country bucks winter down low, 3000'-4000'. Can summer above 7000'. And spend the late fall/rut chasing does at mid elevations. Add in how much the terrain can alter "prevailing" wind direction and there can seem like there's no rhyme or reason to where they bed. If they're are in big hill/small mountain terrain. That mainly rolls and has few real steep areas. Bedding shifts up and down, depending on how hard the wind is blowing. Add in low deer densities, and finding consistently used buck beds can be futile.

I think Dan needs to go to a state like Vermont and help sort it out!!!

Lol that would be a real public land challenege!
I watched the michigan one they have deer everywhere! I hear the michigan guys complaighn about pressure and deer numbers.... Try new england

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”