Kestral Flex and Mantis.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhuntr09

Re: Kestral Flex and Mantis.

Unread postby bowhuntr09 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:55 am

parkersdad wrote:I could not get comfortable in either so I bought the JX3 Hybrid. Now I sit in the comfort of a Summit Viper with the flexibility of a saddle. I love the fork that contacts the tree as it takes all of the weight off of my feet and knees and I don't need a platform. I also only use the top of my stick for my feet.

I have a JX3 as well but I haven't hunted out of it for archery. I'm not a fan of the sitting archery shot and haven't really tested it enough to know if anything else is feasible. I do plan to use it for gun seasons though.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:55 am

phade wrote:I'm struggling. I bought two full kits (one of them Kestrel Flex) from Aero....on July 25. Still not here yet. Lead time has obviously elapsed already.

Hope it's worth the wait. Everyone notes the comfort on the Kestrel/Flex.

I would be asking for money back, cancel the order and just wait until they're in stock. Once the dispute period on your CC passes they could stiff you and you have no recourse.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:39 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:
phade wrote:I'm struggling. I bought two full kits (one of them Kestrel Flex) from Aero....on July 25. Still not here yet. Lead time has obviously elapsed already.

I would be asking for money back, cancel the order and just wait until they're in stock. Once the dispute period on your CC passes they could stiff you and you have no recourse.

I ordered my kestrel flex on july 25 aswell. First of all that's one heck of a coincidence. Two days after my order I recieved an email saying it was back ordered until Oct.11. Ridiculous I know but it did arrive on Oct. 11th and ive been using it ever since. You should probably call them or email them at the very least to see where things stand but they are a reputable company I wouldnt worry about getting stiffed.

The kestrel flex is awesome! Ive done several 4hr sits with no real discomfort and the linemans loops are super easy to find, even in the dark without a headlamp on. I'm so glad I went with aero hunter instead of tetherd.

One of the reasons I went with the kestrel in the end is the company. They make top notch arborist gear and have been for a long time. Nothing against the tethrd guys its awesome what they are doing but they just seem to be lacking in the finer details for the sake of saving a couple ounces. A saddle is already so much lighter and compact than a tree stand why make it so minimalist that you need to buy comfort add ons.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:25 am

EllieTheChubb wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:

I ordered my kestrel flex on july 25 aswell. First of all that's one heck of a coincidence. Two days after my order I recieved an email saying it was back ordered until Oct.11. Ridiculous I know but it did arrive on Oct. 11th and ive been using it ever since. You should probably call them or email them at the very least to see where things stand but they are a reputable company I wouldnt worry about getting stiffed.

The kestrel flex is awesome! Ive done several 4hr sits with no real discomfort and the linemans loops are super easy to find, even in the dark without a headlamp on. I'm so glad I went with aero hunter instead of tetherd.

One of the reasons I went with the kestrel in the end is the company. They make top notch arborist gear and have been for a long time. Nothing against the tethrd guys its awesome what they are doing but they just seem to be lacking in the finer details for the sake of saving a couple ounces. A saddle is already so much lighter and compact than a tree stand why make it so minimalist that you need to buy comfort add ons.

I've been in touch with Diane I think is her name, their office manager. I was originally quoted 10/11, too. Not super excited to hear you've had yours since the original lead date. Can you message or reply with me your order #? It's been a very poor experience to be honest. I personally have challenges when a company puts out a fine/superior product but can't handle the CS component even remotely well. Slow to respond - I've sent a total of three emails. One ahead of 10/11 to ensure we're looking good. One after the time elapsed a week, and then Friday. Each response was several business days later with a non-committal timeframe and they're "hoping to ship mine out this week" as of yesterday. I bought $800 worth of gear from them; really poor experience.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 am

phade wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:

I've been in touch with Diane I think is her name, their office manager. I was originally quoted 10/11, too. Not super excited to hear you've had yours since the original lead date. Can you message or reply with me your order #? It's been a very poor experience to be honest. I personally have challenges when a company puts out a fine/superior product but can't handle the CS component even remotely well. Slow to respond - I've sent a total of three emails. One ahead of 10/11 to ensure we're looking good. One after the time elapsed a week, and then Friday. Each response was several business days later with a non-committal timeframe and they're "hoping to ship mine out this week" as of yesterday. I bought $800 worth of gear from them; really poor experience.

Man, that stinks. Hopefully you can get it all worked out. Companies live and die by their customer service.
bowhuntr09

Unread postby bowhuntr09 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:08 am

phade wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:

Any time I have needed to communicate with them, I picked up the phone and called them and they always answered. Just make sure you call during business hours in their west coast time zone.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:23 am

Hmm... I don’t think I will change this year, but I was scanning in front of my positionbefore I hung my stand Sunday with my feet on the top Beast rung and leaning back on my linesman. Not too different a position from a saddle I suspect. (I’m wearing a rock harness) I kind of liked it.

Based on the feedback, I might lean toward the Flex.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
cdwester

Unread postby cdwester » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:49 am

bowhuntr09 wrote:
parkersdad wrote:I could not get comfortable in either so I bought the JX3 Hybrid. Now I sit in the comfort of a Summit Viper with the flexibility of a saddle. I love the fork that contacts the tree as it takes all of the weight off of my feet and knees and I don't need a platform. I also only use the top of my stick for my feet.

I have a JX3 as well but I haven't hunted out of it for archery. I'm not a fan of the sitting archery shot and haven't really tested it enough to know if anything else is feasible. I do plan to use it for gun seasons though.

Thinking about a JX3 for Gun/Crossbow hunts. Do you use the tether as a support when shooting out of yours?
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:07 am

I used a mantis last year, after 2 hunts, I noticed wear where the leg hooks hook in. I also had a real tough time getting comfortable. This year I have a flex, been using a Ros but will be going back to the predator for my next sit to compare. The Ros is hard to get tight enough. Could be the tree I’m was in. The flex has been more comfortable. One issue I have been having is with the bridge length. Using the rope adjustable bridge and a prusik on the tether is that there is still not enough adjustability. This is where either the adjustable strap and a ropeman would be nicer. My tether is forehead height. I think I would prefer a lower tether And shorter bridge. Will tweak after season.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:21 am

I don't know enough about it, but I wouldn't limit oneself to "hunting" saddles. There are lots of real world, climb trees for a living, arborist saddles out on the market... No wait time, same price range and look to be a lot safer. Why limit yourself to something targeted to "hunting" and have to wait 6 months to get it when an entire industry has existed for decades making the exact same thing...

bowhuntr09

Unread postby bowhuntr09 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:29 am

cdwester wrote:
bowhuntr09 wrote:

Thinking about a JX3 for Gun/Crossbow hunts. Do you use the tether as a support when shooting out of yours?

It certainly could be an option.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:47 am

bowhuntr09 wrote:
cdwester wrote:
bowhuntr09 wrote:

It certainly could be an option.

I think the JX3 is perfect for gun hunting.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:22 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:I don't know enough about it, but I wouldn't limit oneself to "hunting" saddles. There are lots of real world, climb trees for a living, arborist saddles out on the market... No wait time, same price range and look to be a lot safer. Why limit yourself to something targeted to "hunting" and have to wait 6 months to get it when an entire industry has existed for decades making the exact same thing...

An arborist saddle is bulky and not at all comfortable compared to a hunting saddle. I went that route last year, then switched to a rock climbing harness and a sit drag and noe this year I'm using a mantis. I've sat in a kestrel and if you prefer to sit they're good. I'm more of a leaner though so I stuck with the mantis and love it!
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:00 am

phade wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:

This was their response when I asked about the lead time:

Yes, our lead time was much shorter until about a month ago. Between word of mouth and two major magazine articles, the interest in our work has gone through the roof. I'm sorry that means you have such a long wait for your order. You're in good company, but that's not much comfort.

The delays are affecting all lines of Aero Hunter products, so revising your order will not change your date. Thank you for your continuing patience.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:11 am

austin1990 wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:I don't know enough about it, but I wouldn't limit oneself to "hunting" saddles. There are lots of real world, climb trees for a living, arborist saddles out on the market... No wait time, same price range and look to be a lot safer. Why limit yourself to something targeted to "hunting" and have to wait 6 months to get it when an entire industry has existed for decades making the exact same thing...

An arborist saddle is bulky and not at all comfortable compared to a hunting saddle. I went that route last year, then switched to a rock climbing harness and a sit drag and noe this year I'm using a mantis. I've sat in a kestrel and if you prefer to sit they're good. I'm more of a leaner though so I stuck with the mantis and love it!

An arborist friend offered to sell me an old saddle for next to nothing. After trying it on I realized it would be pretty impracrical. For one they arent really made for walking in. Also the bridge attachment is narrower which makes rotating much easier. Thats great for an arborist whos constantly moving, rotating, etc. But not so great for a hunter who wants to remain still with no effort. It could work if someone wants to go that route but there's a reason new tribe makes work saddles and hunting saddles.

EDIT: there's also alot more metal on the arborist saddles

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”