Kill/Observation Data Collection

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SamPotter
500 Club

Kill/Observation Data Collection

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:50 am

So, the discussions on moon phase, moon position, barometric pressure, weather, etc, has me wanting to quantify some real data... I'd like to collect real kill and daylight observation data (both visual and trail cam) from Beast members. To me, with enough input, this could be more relevant than GPS collar studies or conception date estimates because it is what we've actually seen and experienced. Personally, I have 100s of data points if I start going through journals and trail camera pictures/videos. For now, some input on what data items to include would be useful, and then I will create a separate thread for actual data contribution. These are the items I have off the top of my head with example data:

Hunter/Username: SamPotter
Kill or Observation?: Observation
If observation, what type?: Visual
Date: 10/27/19
State: MN
Time: 9:35
Buck age: 4
Score: 145*
Buck Behavior: Chasing
Distance from bed in yards: unk
Type of habitat: Bedding
Wind direction: WNW
Wind Speed: 7
[b]Weather Conditions:[/b] Partly Cloudy
Barometric Pressure: unk
Temperature: 27
Tactics Used: call
Call buck responded to: snort wheeze

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Kill/Observation Data Collection

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:16 pm

I recall that somebody started something like this up last year. Not sure how many replies it got. It seemed to do well initially but maybe petered our.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:00 pm

mheichelbech wrote:I recall that somebody started something like this up last year. Not sure how many replies it got. It seemed to do well initially but maybe petered our.

I didn’t realize it had already been attempted. Just my own recorded observations have enough data points to notice some trends, but wouldn’t be nearly as interesting or significant as multiple sources. I suppose asking people to fill out a “survey” is like giving a kid homework and man, I sure hated homework.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:44 pm

I like the concept.
IMO Deer density and age structure would be good to consider if you’re bringing in data from multiple areas.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”