Section of an interesting article about Hunting Myths

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Section of an interesting article about Hunting Myths

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:13 am

Just read this article about debunking bowhunting myths from bowhunting.com, this section couldn't be more true in my opinion.

YOU, TOO, CAN KILL MONSTER BUCKS, BY FOLLOWING EXPERT ADVICE & BUYING THE RIGHT GEAR
Ever notice how nearly every whitetail “expert” lives in Midwest whitetail havens, where 2 ½-year-old bucks make Pope & Young records, hunting pressure on their private farms is minimal and firearms are largely erased from the equation? So each and every year they kill bigger bucks than you’ve witnessed in an entire lifetime of hunting. This makes them experts, uniquely qualified to offer sage advice on how it is done, usually in a five-step format including mandatory products selection.
Hate to burst bubbles, but when you live in average portions of whitetaildom (or aren’t privy to large, exclusive, heavily-managed chunks of real estate) such expert advice is nothing short of worthless. Following their advice isn’t going to help tag monster bucks where monster bucks don’t exist. Aggressive rattling, decoying, magic-potion buck lures and the like just aren’t going to do the trick in habitats with buck-to-doe ratios so unbalanced rutting competition is nonexistent, and hunting pressure is such very few bucks reach full maturity to develop the confidence required to respond to such ploys.
Sour grapes? Nope, I learned to enjoy bowhunting on my own terms long ago. But I think the entire bowhunting industrial complex needs to make more of an effort to cease instilling discontent and inferiority complexes by promoting dreams that don’t exist in the vast majority of backyards.

Thoughts?

The_Real_Jmill

Re: Section of an interesting article about Hunting Myths

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:36 am

Overall I would agree.

But I don't have a problem with the product placement as I feel people need to make a living, and its up to the consumer to weed out or decide to buy (product x) and who am I to tell someone how to market said product even if it doesn't truly work and they are hunting prime managed ground.

What I have taken issue with more as I get older is the fact that I cannot go on any social media platform where a guy posts a picture of shooting a smaller buck without seeing him almost seemingly apologize for shooting the small buck in his caption claiming it was a "meat buck" or something along those lines. The inferiority that's associated with shooting a small buck is sickening, they are all trophies, some either just have better ground or higher standards but there is nothing wrong with harvesting a small buck.

If its legal and turns your crank pursue whatever animal you are after how you want to.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:40 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Just read this article about debunking bowhunting myths from bowhunting.com, this section couldn't be more true in my opinion.

YOU, TOO, CAN KILL MONSTER BUCKS, BY FOLLOWING EXPERT ADVICE & BUYING THE RIGHT GEAR
Ever notice how nearly every whitetail “expert” lives in Midwest whitetail havens, where 2 ½-year-old bucks make Pope & Young records, hunting pressure on their private farms is minimal and firearms are largely erased from the equation? So each and every year they kill bigger bucks than you’ve witnessed in an entire lifetime of hunting. This makes them experts, uniquely qualified to offer sage advice on how it is done, usually in a five-step format including mandatory products selection.
Hate to burst bubbles, but when you live in average portions of whitetaildom (or aren’t privy to large, exclusive, heavily-managed chunks of real estate) such expert advice is nothing short of worthless. Following their advice isn’t going to help tag monster bucks where monster bucks don’t exist. Aggressive rattling, decoying, magic-potion buck lures and the like just aren’t going to do the trick in habitats with buck-to-doe ratios so unbalanced rutting competition is nonexistent, and hunting pressure is such very few bucks reach full maturity to develop the confidence required to respond to such ploys.
Sour grapes? Nope, I learned to enjoy bowhunting on my own terms long ago. But I think the entire bowhunting industrial complex needs to make more of an effort to cease instilling discontent and inferiority complexes by promoting dreams that don’t exist in the vast majority of backyards.

Thoughts?

Kinda sounds like the philosophies we find on the Beast from people in various parts of the country. Some areas have better deer populations, but snake oil generally isn’t something taught here. And pressure is a significant aspect due to a lot of people hunting on public.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:32 am

Not until I wrapped my head around this philosophy did I finally understand what realistic goals are and how to achieve them.

Great reminder.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:42 am

Hunting shows today are little more than infomercials in my opinion. I usually put them on as background noise when I am doing something as I enjoy see in the critters.

Besides, there’s far better hunting channels online.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:51 am

greenhorndave wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:Just read this article about debunking bowhunting myths from bowhunting.com, this section couldn't be more true in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Kinda sounds like the philosophies we find on the Beast from people in various parts of the country. Some areas have better deer populations, but snake oil generally isn’t something taught here. And pressure is a significant aspect due to a lot of people hunting on public.

One thing I take from this piece is that just because someone is using a tactic that works specifically in their area, doesn't mean it's a catch all and will work everywhere else. For example rattling. Under the right circumstances, that can be an effective tactic. But in a lot of cases, it can be a real waste of time for a lot of hunters.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:15 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Thoughts?

One thing I take from this piece is that just because someone is using a tactic that works specifically in their area, doesn't mean it's a catch all and will work everywhere else. For example rattling. Under the right circumstances, that can be an effective tactic. But in a lot of cases, it can be a real waste of time for a lot of hunters.

Yeah, same with a grunt tube. I’ve seen some freeze and look from a distance and some get outta Dodge (county). :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:51 am

Alot of gear is just convenience oriented.

Even a cheap treestand is a convenience. Primitive man killed alot of game without treestands. Either just standing on a limb or sitting on the ground.

Even a grunt tube is just a convenience item. With practice. Anyone can learn to grunt with their own voice. Just takes practice. Which means time is involved.

Even modern trad bows and arrows are a convenience. Many being computer engineered and built from hi-tech materials. Primitive handmade bows are incredible, well thought out machines. As are primitive arrows. But took/take alot of manhours and elbow grease to produce. No the average person won't make too many kills beyond 20 yards with them. But getting close, is way more exciting and challenging. We see Beasts making close in kills every season. Most of these close encounter kills could have been made with primitive gear just as easy.

You can just keep on going down the list. Most hunting gear is just a modern convenience.

And I'll go out on a limb and say. So is "trophy" hunting!!!!!! :think: We all pursue older age bucks for the challenge. But how challenging is it to kill any animal at less than 10 yards. With literally 2 sticks and a string!!!!!!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:47 am

I agree and disagree at the same time lol. While for 75% of the chumps I think your dead nutz right.? But prob around the other 25% I feel could be successful anywhere under any conditions. They just realized big bucks are what bring home the bacon so they decided to move where they are abundant. Making a living doing something u love has always been my dream so I don't frown on anyone who sticks it out there not affraid to get it chopped off. Yes most tactics are product/sales driven but like Stash said a lot does have mucho convenient factors at play for the consumer. Some is pure bs I highly frown upon but for the most part when it's just a particular product that works for them and there halfway honest about affiliation I say more power to em.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:54 am

Good points Boogie.
----------
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:20 am

Whos the author?
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:24 am

EllieTheChubb wrote:Whos the author?

Patrick Meitin