Bush honeysuckle and bucks bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

live2hunt

Re: Bush honeysuckle and bucks bedding

Unread postby live2hunt » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:23 am

Double Draw wrote:I think it is important to point out that there are native honeysuckles (both vine and bush) and the more talked about Asian types that are invasive. The natives are far less aggressive in growth. And, yes, most deer biologists consider honeysuckle a top ten food source and it is often bedded in, too.
It may seem like a chore but learning the difference between the natives and invasives can go a long way to bettering your habitat. I can share some identification information if anyone is interested.

I agree that I often overlook all the others because I’m focused on the invasive. What type of honeysuckle do the biologist consider a top food source? Or did they lump all honeysuckle into one category. I’d like to see the Identification information if you don’t mind.

Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:04 am

Where I live in the Midwest bush honeysuckle is rampant! If you are not sure if you have it just look this fall after leaf drop of your trees and you will see green everywhere - bush honeysuckle often lasts a month after our natives go dormant. I have a love/hate relationship with it - as a biologist I hate it and am constantly working to eradicate it but I find myself hunting around it. It is great cover and the deer browse it much more than you realize - it grows so fast it is not real noticeable that it has been browsed.

If it is 4.5 feet or less in height I foliar spray it with 3.5% glyphosate with a non-ionic surfactant (complete coverage) - if taller than that I cut it and spray the stump with a 50/50 glyphosate/water mix with dye in it. You have to spray the stump within 10 minutes of cutting it or it won’t work. Someone mentioned Tordon. It is an effective herbicide but it tends to move in the soil. I have seen it kill non-target trees. Glyphosate will not do that and it is much cheaper. Buy the 41% glyphosate in 2.5 gallon jugs and it will go a long way. I have someone spray right behind me so nothing is missed.

Another thing we are doing is aerially spraying with a helicopter after the natives have gone dormant and leaf drop is complete. If we follow up in the spring with a prescribed burn it is proving very effective - if no burn it isn’t as effective. Hand cutting crews can be upwards of $300/acre in heavy stands while we are getting less than $50/acre with the helicopter. Downside with the helo is you need to have some acreage or it is not worth their time.

As someone said if you can get on the front end of an invasion jump on it! Once it is well established it is tough to handle.

Lee
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:58 am

Has anyone observed whether bucks bed in it by choice or dot hey tend to avoid it?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Robert501st
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010889027861

Unread postby Robert501st » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:24 pm

mheichelbech wrote:Has anyone observed whether bucks bed in it by choice or dot hey tend to avoid it?

It’s my observation they don’t bed in it unless they literally have no other choice. Its a god awful plant.
“Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” -- H. L. Mencken
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:10 pm

live2hunt wrote:
Double Draw wrote:I think it is important to point out that there are native honeysuckles (both vine and bush) and the more talked about Asian types that are invasive. The natives are far less aggressive in growth. And, yes, most deer biologists consider honeysuckle a top ten food source and it is often bedded in, too.
It may seem like a chore but learning the difference between the natives and invasives can go a long way to bettering your habitat. I can share some identification information if anyone is interested.

I agree that I often overlook all the others because I’m focused on the invasive. What type of honeysuckle do the biologist consider a top food source? Or did they lump all honeysuckle into one category. I’d like to see the Identification information if you don’t mind.

My experience is that deer like all honeysuckle. And here is some information to identify natives vs. invasives. You can tell by the first picture and the native range.
20190818_225532.jpg
20190818_225553.jpg
20190818_225646.jpg
20190818_225654.jpg
20190818_225702.jpg
20190818_225702.jpg
20190818_225737.jpg
20190818_225737.jpg
20190818_225901.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:48 am

We are loaded with the invasive stuff in my area and it grows so thick you can hardly turn around in it.

The deer dont seem to bed in it but they love to walk the edges nibbling here and there on their way to the nights primary food source.
The first spot that comes to mind is against a power line cut and they travel and stage on the edge of the honeysuckle before crossing a road to pasture at night.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:24 am

In a thick section of honeysuckle, I try to manipulate travel paths. Urban areas are perfect for this.

Someone mentioned antlers making travel difficult for bucks. I think during velvet it will affect movement and bedding. Damage during that time is best avoided.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:52 am

Cut a few prescribed trails thru it and down a few trees if you can to direct deer to better suit your winds and hunts
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Scott/IL

Unread postby Scott/IL » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:55 pm

This stuff is the crux to deer hunting in my area. It makes staying mobile impossible as you sound like a herd of elephants trying to army crawl into an area. Also, deer trails are a thing of the past as all that you see along a hillside are nothing but honeysuckle bushes. Most areas you can’t see further than 10 feet in front of you until you get down into the creek bottoms.

Where I’ve had the most luck is cutting trails through the honeysuckle to force deer movement a certain way (example I took my target buck last year a spot like this on a leeward ridge). My experience is the bucks will seek out better options than this. I’ve also been told by biologists that it’s a last choice option for browsing for them. It really is a shame to see what this plant has done to our hardwoods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”