Mount criteria

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Re: Mount criteria

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:53 pm

I have 11 shoulder and 3 euro lol. If I like the deer it's getting shoulder mounted. Not really a fan of the euro.

Dave.Bechtel

Unread postby Dave.Bechtel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:55 am

For me, I love deer mounts. Obviously, if it is a big buck...I am going to mount it. But I have also shot some bucks that weren't giants but were very respectable deer that I mounted because of the story and the memory. A lot of people put limits on what you should mount but I think it should be whatever makes you happy! Also, do you have space and will your wife let it happen....
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:59 am

I have 4 shoulder mounts 115-130" and 4 skull mounts of similar size from MI. I have moved around a lot. Im always going man I shouldve just European mounted these things. The first one I wasn't going to mount but every old timer in town said I would never shoot a deer like that again in my life. So I mounted it and then I got bigger bucks so of course i had to mount them. Nowadays I don't care. no more mounts... I look at the rack and really don't pay a lot of attention to mounts.. seen a million of them. I have a lot of friends that mount everything. I say if you like mounts do it for yourself not to show off to others cus imo nobody really gives a rip what you've got on your wall. except maybe your wife..
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:18 am

Hard to describe but I’ll know it when I see it. Only shooting bucks I would mount has saved a lot of 2-3 year olds and only using a bow has saved many older bucks.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:59 am

I have a few mounted, but nowadays I just like to European mount them. Far easier to move, plus I can pick them up whenever I want.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:13 am

What do I mount? Whatever makes me happy at that particular time!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:25 am

For me it's about practicality. Given where I am in life, I go with a Euro-mount. They don't take up a lot of space on the wall, my wife is open to having them displayed in the house and they are economical. The shoulder mounts I do have from when I was younger reside over my dads house, in his man cave.

As for size, it generally would need to be bigger than anything I currently have.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:21 am

A friends dad told me once its not the size of the rack but the hunt and what it means to you ive always stuck by that. My first beast buck was 120" mounted it because of what it ment to me. I stick with that to this day. But i wont shoot a buck with the bow unless i would shoulder mount it.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:26 am

I'm partial to euro mounts so I dont think I'll ever do another shoulder mount. I have a shoulder mount of my first buck (small 8pt) and a half mount of my first bear collecting dust in the attic. Ive debated selling them so somebody can enjoy them but my pops had them done for me and that just dosent feel right.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:54 am

Wife says it’ll have to be a booner or better at this point. Already have 5 shoulder mounts and a pile of skull mounts. I’m partial to the skull mounts because you can handle them and big thick bases really pop.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”