Let's talk scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowtechjim

Let's talk scrapes

Unread postby bowtechjim » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:11 am

I've always paid attention to scrapes located near suspected bedding and have had the most success hunting them the last 2 weeks of October. It seems like every year I walk by a ton of scrapes on field edges and never even give them a serious look. How does everyone hunt scrapes? Mornings or evenings? I usually think of them as one piece of the puzzle but am very curious to hear what y'all think.

swwave24

Re: Let's talk scrapes

Unread postby swwave24 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:33 am

I hunt scrapes near bedding and in cover, in pressured areas. Especially on raining days, just after it stops seems to be a good time. Had a smaller buck come into one last week when it stopped raining. I hunt scrapes in thermal hub areas on calm days where my scent shoots straight up, those days are rare.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:32 am

Field edge scrapes are good for camera pics that’s about it. Deep thick cover scrapes near bedding are good
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:02 am

From mid October into early November. Scrapes in unpressured areas can be dynamite. After rain or snow seems to be best. 3.5 YO's make up the bulk of the users.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:35 am

stash59 wrote:From mid October into early November. Scrapes in unpressured areas can be dynamite. After rain or snow seems to be best. 3.5 YO's make up the bulk of the users.

I agree. I find the morning after a rain to be ideal on these scrapes close to bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”