Well, messed that one up...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
SamPotter
500 Club

Well, messed that one up...

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:57 am

Hiked in real early yesterday morning to a bluff side buck bed in public. Was ready 10 yards from the bed an hour before daylight. Saw some does and a 2 year old 9 point early on, then nothing. Was getting cold and bored, so decided to get down at 8:45 instead of 9 like I’d originally planned.

About half way down the tree I look up and standing on a ledge 30 yards away is a big bodied deer. I couldn’t see his head because of a big limb between us, but I could see tine tips sticking up above the limb. Thought he had me pinned, but after a while he looked up hill. I started to pull my bow back up and his head snapped back to me. Then he’d look away and I’d resume my desperate attempt. Mind you, I only have one foot on a limb and I’m hooked into the tree with a lineman’s belt... The buck is off my right shoulder, so even if I could get my bow up, I’d have to pivot and turn my back to him to shoot.

I managed to get my bow up after 10-15 minutes of red light/green light. Somewhere in the process the adrenaline hit and my leg started shaking like the Dickens. Enough time passed that the shaking stopped and I was able to continue.

Finally, he flicked his tail a few times and I knew he was going to move one way or the other. Surprisingly, he took a path diagonally uphill that would take him right across in front of me. I managed to get turned around as he walked, but was unable to get an arrow on the string before he crested the bluff and was gone. He had passed me broadside at 22 yards and even stopped briefly with his head behind a tree.

He was a 130s 8 point with a big, thick, mature looking body. A little below average rack wise for Iowa, but I’d have shot him if possible considering I was using a recurve and it was on public. Disappointed in myself for getting down a smidge early but stoked to have pulled the rest of the plan off.

Moral of the story: don’t get down early and be ready at all times.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Well, messed that one up...

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:01 am

Bummer for sure but always fun to see them!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:17 am

Cool encounter! I'm laughing thinking about the "leg shake " :lol:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:39 am

:doh: :handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”