Reading a trout stream...

• Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Reading a trout stream...

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:03 pm

When you trout fish a stream what type of water or structure are you looking for as you fish... deep outside turns with potential under cuts?
Just below fast current, over hanging grass????
Do you skip over areas that don't have the type of habitat your looking for to get on more trout faster? Or do you fish everything as you mosey up the stream?

mcmidc

Re: Reading a trout stream...

Unread postby mcmidc » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:19 am

Depends on the mood I'm in, and what I fishing with, water depth, and cloud cover.

If I'm just out enjoying the day not worrying too much about what I catch, I'll probably just toss dry flies all over and fish most water no matter the conditions. If I'm more serious that day and am looking for big fish, and there is no hatch coming off, I'll usually pound the good looking areas like you mentioned with big streamers and keep moving to cover lot's of water. Otherwise I'll fish a variety of flies (dries, nymphs, streamers) and hit most water that looks like it's not too skinny to hold a fish. It all just depends on what I want to get out of each outing. :mrgreen:
LenH
500 Club

Unread postby LenH » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:16 am

first thing i do is look for cover and structure on the banks. Trees and undercuts are good places to start. I absolutely HATE manicured structure that looks like a man made swimming pool or HI. You won't find me fishing the Petting Zoos.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 am

I agree Len... There was a trout stream I fished when I was younger. It was wild and cool looking. Then they came in and "made it better" by creating man made structure to hold more and bigger fish. It really destroyed the whole wildness of the river and turned it into a park.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:51 pm

I look for the usual things that Dan pointed out. No real secrets from me. I do cover a lot of ground and don't spend much time at any one location.
A bit off topic but I like to read the stream before I fish it. I look for out of the way places and also places where it's hard to fly fish. Streams that appear to be too small or not enough water can be good.
Another "reading " tactic is to drive along and watch the stream surface. We have found a lot of good spots from the road by seeing the trout surfacing and feeding. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”