Broadhead choice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Missionshooter
500 Club

Re: Broadhead choice

Unread postby Missionshooter » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:10 pm

I liked the swackers. Just couldn't get the penetration with 60 lbs. I'm with magnus buzzcuts now

STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 am

Have always preferred muzzy 3 blades, but after wanting to switch to a 125grn head I opted to try Slick Trick standards. They extremely well and hopefully will draw blood this season. Next year I’ll play around with other heads with larger cutting diameters.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Shot an antelope with a dirt nap drt double bevel broadhead a couple weeks ago, it did well but the bleeder blades just get in the way for sharpening.

I just recieved 3 vandieman single bevel heads in the mail and they look slick and are super sharp right from the get go. Hoping to give them a try tomorrow if all goes well!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:56 pm

I have been using muzzy's forever, but over the last 10 ears or so the qualitity of Muzzy really went down and I found the need to make sure each head was strait, not bent, and even got one with no flutes cut into it for the blades... So I have been shopping around. I won't use expandables, just seen way to many problems with them, and my set up don't seem to match most broadheads cause testing has not been going well... I got in some SIK 100's the other day and was pretty surprised when my patterns improved quite a bit and my penetration got better... Looks like im going to stick with these for the season.
But dozer
Facebook: Aaron Johnson

Unread postby But dozer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Just gonna keep hammering with the rage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
But dozer

Unread postby But dozer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Rage on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
But dozer

Unread postby But dozer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:05 pm

You guessed it.. rage
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Count me as another fan of the G5 Montec..

I've killed more deer with the cheap old Muzzy 100 gr though. But as Dan said, their quality is hit or miss. They're also one and done (disposable). If you buy a 6 pack, expect only 4 to spin true. So the price advantage they enjoyed isn't such an advantage anymore. Don't fly as well as the Montec for me either.
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Anyone tried the 4 blade wasp darts? I’ve heard several people recommend the 3 blade drones, but haven’t heard much on the former.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:42 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:Count me as another fan of the G5 Montec..

I've killed more deer with the cheap old Muzzy 100 gr though. But as Dan said, their quality is hit or miss. They're also one and done (disposable). If you buy a 6 pack, expect only 4 to spin true. So the price advantage they enjoyed isn't such an advantage anymore. Don't fly as well as the Montec for me either.

Interesting. I have been shooting Muzzy since they started selling them and never had a single quality issue. Wondering if you guys bought them after the company was sold? I stocked up on a lifetime supply of them when the sale was announced. Sounds like I made a very good decision.
Bowhunt276

Unread postby Bowhunt276 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:49 am

I’ve been using different NAP expandable heads for the last few years with great luck. No problems with blades not opening or breaking, great penetration and great blood trails.
tkohuntsMI

Unread postby tkohuntsMI » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:06 am

I have killed with spitfires, spitfire max, blood runners, grim reapers, rage classic, rage hypo, rage chisel, and a few others but I recently switched to SEVRs they are really amazing. You can literally buy just 1 if you just want to try them. They are the most accurate Broadhead I’ve ever shot literally grouping exactly the same as my field tips out to 60yds.
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 pm

G5 montec
cattailcrusher

Unread postby cattailcrusher » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Recently switched to the QAD exodus and have been very impressed with them. If anybody is interested there is a youtube channel called Lusk Archery Adventures, there are a ton of videos on that channel on testing all sorts of different broadheads, very unbiased and consistent testing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”