2019 Michigan Public Beast Member Challenge !!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

2019 Michigan Public Beast Member Challenge !!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:12 am

Hey Michigan Beasts... or those travelling to Michigan the first week of October for some reason...

While we watch and root for Dan / Joe and the others in the Public Land Challenge here in Michigan, how about putting ourselves to the test by hitting Michigan public land ourselves the first week of October??

We will follow as many of the same rules of the Public Land Challenge as we can and you will be "On Your Honor." Here are the guidelines;

*** You must never have set foot on the Michigan Public Land you are hunting for any reason.

*** You can only look at maps before October first... no boots on the ground scouting or driving around the public you will hunt.

*** You have to return to your home / cabin / hotel / camp every evening. Your base, wherever that is, has to remain the same throughout the week.

*** All Michigan DNR hunting rules apply... make sure you are familiar with them.

*** It doesn’t matter if you hunt one day or all 7 as long as you follow the rules.

We can post about our hunts, ask questions, put pics and or video up on our posts, etc.

So how about it... Who's In ???

Singing Bridge is in !!

stash59

Re: 2019 Michigan Public Beast Member Challenge !!

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:23 am

Almost makes me wanna move to Michigan. Almost!!! ;) :mrgreen:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:34 am

This is a cool idea. I’ll be hunting my local public the first few days so can’t participate in the challenge. My wife and I are celebrating 10 year anniversary starting on the 4th, so won’t have time to drive to new properties the first 3 days.

Great Idea I will be following along.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:36 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:This is a cool idea. I’ll be hunting my local public the first few days so can’t participate in the challenge. My wife and I are celebrating 10 year anniversary starting on the 4th, so won’t have time to drive to new properties the first 3 days.

Congrats on the 10 year!!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:41 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:This is a cool idea. I’ll be hunting my local public the first few days so can’t participate in the challenge. My wife and I are celebrating 10 year anniversary starting on the 4th, so won’t have time to drive to new properties the first 3 days.

Congrats on the 10 year!!

Thanks we are going to head up to the UP and see all the sights Pictured Rocks,
Tahquamenon Falls, and a few others. She has been an amazing wife putting up with me and raising the kids. We are very blessed.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:01 pm

I’m doing a Wisconsin challenge right now. Never been here until today. I’m after a few target bucks back home on ground I know. Not sure if I want to give that up. I hope you get some participation
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Sounds like a great challenge. I’m in
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I’m doing a Wisconsin challenge right now. Never been here until today. I’m after a few target bucks back home on ground I know. Not sure if I want to give that up. I hope you get some participation

Good luck in Wisconsin !
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:22 pm

Joe68 wrote:Sounds like a great challenge. I’m in

Awesome- looking forward to your posts!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:14 am

I'll play. I don't have any time off of work but I will find something new to hunt locally. It will be fun.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:08 am

oldrank wrote:I'll play. I don't have any time off of work but I will find something new to hunt locally. It will be fun.

I was hoping you were in... I don't have any time off that week either. I plan to get out a couple of times on public I have never set foot on before.

That makes 3 of us! We need more!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:31 am

Hunting the Michigan Bow season starting October 1st...

The Michigan youth hunt is underway... the pressure is ramping up and firearms are a blazing and have been in preparation... but wait there's more! Tomorrow the Michigan small game season opens. Lots of orange hats and dogs in the woods. More guns blazing... Small game hunting / upland hunting is very popular here.

Baiting deer is against the law in the entire Lower Peninsula now... and that won't change a thing. Not enough Conservation Officers to do much about it but it will be an excellent revenue generator virtually everywhere they go.

Lots of guys putting bait out in their stand areas and upsetting the mature animals.

The older bucks have seen this all before and will react accordingly prior to the bow opener.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:10 am

I made a post in the "Scouting" thread that is relevant to our understanding of what target bucks are doing now. We can't do the recommendations of the post when we are participating in this challenge... but mentally understanding what is happening out there is beneficial.

In addition to the post below, be sure to check out my "singular sign" post on heavy pressure public land.

Here's the post:

These next 2 weeks, just prior to the Michigan Bow opener, will provide a scouting opportunity that is seldom discussed.

The Michigan youth hunt is open and guns are a blazin' and they have been in preparation.

Tomorrow the small game season opens and there will be thousands upon thousands of hunters wearing orange hats and dogs running everywhere.

The bow hunters that are procrastinators or that use bait are hitting the deer woods hard right now, setting stands / putting bait out / searching for a place to hunt. Baiting is now illegal in the entire lower peninsula but the law will have no impact... it will continue as before. It should be an excellent revenue generator for conservation officers but there are not enough of them to make any real impact.

So what is the opportunity I am discussing? Mature bucks are reacting to all the chaos and disruption I described above. They are moving to their most secure bedding areas and there are only so many in a given range.

I often get asked how I know if a buck bedding area is active... well, if it is a primary bed it gets used almost the entire year so when conditions are right I move in and hunt it. I don't worry too much about whether or not the bedding area is going to be active.

But outside of that, There's a lot of bucks that move to "pressure bedding" when the heat is on. We've had some great posts about pressure beds that you can search up here on the Beast.

So, what's the plan? Well, now's the time to recon these bedding areas from a distance. You know, those beds you scouted in security zones... or the beds you have never scouted but located on maps or drive by's. Now is the time to check for oversized tracks crossing dirt / sand and woods roads. Also, checking these security zones from afar while playing the wind by glassing or an observations stand- being ultra careful of your entrance and exit to make sure you will not be detected... can give you verification that the buck bedding area / security zone is active with a target buck.

And before I forget, no... now is not the time to put trail cams up or check those that are anywhere close to buck bedding.

Bridge
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:17 am

Sounds like fun, I'm in!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:25 am

Trout wrote:Sounds like fun, I'm in!

Great news !!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”