2019 PUBLIC LAND CHALLENGE!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Re: 2019 PUBLIC LAND CHALLENGE!

Unread postby trob_205 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:53 am

greenhorndave wrote:Here's a dopey request for the THP guys: You mentioned that Dan and Mr Eberhart are willing to be on a podcast. That's awesome!

My request would be NOT to bring up the whole scent control thing.

We already know their positions -- and they ain't going to change -- and another debate on it is pointless, IMHO; it's already been done. Set the expectation going in that it won't be part of the conversation to head it off at the pass.

Other than that, it'll be awesome to see two true masters either square off or team up where it matters... In the woods. Will be extremely informative for all of us.

I fully agree!

austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:22 am

matt1336 wrote:
headgear wrote:
austin1990 wrote:Where I grew up hunting and still hunt in Arkansas I would love for dan to tackle it, just to see his approach and what he'd do. Because it is very different tha. what you see and read about in his videos and books. In the hill ground in the north and western part of the state for the most part his tactics do work in my experience but when it comes to the flat big woods, flooded timber thickets you cant really compare it to anything up north and just have to do lots of scouting and move as needed to stay on deer.

This is kind of the key here, people need to look at Dan's vids and tactics and apply them to their woods. For years all I had was a marsh and hill video and I don't really have marshes and not much for hills where I hunt but you can bet I took what I learned and applied it to the land I hunt. Even the farm video can help a bigwoods or any hunter if they keep an opening mind and pay close attention to the details. I'm not out there scouting for marshes or other terrain so I can hunt like the marsh/hill guys to, I am looking for big bucks and where they live and then figuring out how to hunt them on my turf.

Austin....have you watched the swamp video? There are plenty of flat wet swamps here in Wisconsin. I’d bet that you’d be surprised with the similarities. With that said, deer are deer and you’ll find plenty of common ground with deer habits regardless of the terrain they’re living in.

No I haven't yet, plan to add it soon. All I know about swamps in that part of the country is the little bits I've read in threads on here and yes there are some similarities but also several differences to me, mostly in the size and amount of flooding. One wma I hunt here is about 34,000 acres and about 14,000 acres of it is flooded for duck hunters every november. Due to all of the hunting pressure it receives the biggest bucks are generally miles back in that flooded timber. I'll definitely add the video though, I'm sure it will definitely help in some situations.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:30 pm

I can’t wait as well. There is so much to learn by seeing it go down. A pic is with a 1000 words, a video so much more.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:43 am

just listened to the new w2h episode and it doesn't sound like Mark is planning on doing the challenge. He didn't come out and say that specifically he wasn't, just didn't mention that he was doing it while discussing his fall plans. Too bad as I was hoping to see him and Andy tag teaming some public lands together
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:31 am

austin1990 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
headgear wrote:
austin1990 wrote:Where I grew up hunting and still hunt in Arkansas I would love for dan to tackle it, just to see his approach and what he'd do. Because it is very different tha. what you see and read about in his videos and books. In the hill ground in the north and western part of the state for the most part his tactics do work in my experience but when it comes to the flat big woods, flooded timber thickets you cant really compare it to anything up north and just have to do lots of scouting and move as needed to stay on deer.

This is kind of the key here, people need to look at Dan's vids and tactics and apply them to their woods. For years all I had was a marsh and hill video and I don't really have marshes and not much for hills where I hunt but you can bet I took what I learned and applied it to the land I hunt. Even the farm video can help a bigwoods or any hunter if they keep an opening mind and pay close attention to the details. I'm not out there scouting for marshes or other terrain so I can hunt like the marsh/hill guys to, I am looking for big bucks and where they live and then figuring out how to hunt them on my turf.

And not just those good points, there is info on places like Austin described. The tamarack swamps that Singing Bridge (Scott Shawl... Look him up on podcasts for good listening) and Dan describe are often extremely wet and/or flooded and flat. Usually part of flat big woods. Walk 50 or 500 yards and everything looks the same. The key, which I have yet to crack by the way, is finding those 3x3 humps of dry ground that serve as bedding. As one of my friends puts it, it's like finding a needle in a stack of needles. I have been looking for spots like that in one of the places I have been scouting and they're flat out hard to find. They'll almost never show up on a map or aerial. But while the trees aren't the same, the tamarack tips are good to check out out because it has that flat, wet and featureless terrain that's similar to what you described.

If it's big continous woods check out aerials. Look for any small openings in the canopy where there may have once been a tree. That's something I've done with some luck, the deer here will bed on tree trunks and clay roots from fallen trees. But other than that it is hard looking for those few little knolls that are barely in the dry and requires alot of wader time to scout.

It’s not supposed to be easy. It sounds like you know what to look for....that being high ground. They don’t live in water. You’ll likely have to get wet to get into the deer/bucks. You have some obstacles but bucks use those same obstacles to get old and big. Good luck.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:03 am

I'm looking forward to this - the Public Land Challenge last year really helped me learn to do stuff better and become a better hunter. No doubt this year will do the same.

What is the time-frame allotted? Is it a week?
mattmorgan

Unread postby mattmorgan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:52 am

Welcome to Michigan boys! I am sure you guys will love it as much as we do here. There should be plenty of good opportunities. Can't wait to see what happens!
Stretchy

Unread postby Stretchy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:35 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:Awesome..... tey Pennsylvania next year!!!

Yes! That would be awesome to see some of the premier public land hunters tackle the challenge that is PA deer hunting!
-Stretch
Slinghunter1974
Facebook: Troy M Bowie

Unread postby Slinghunter1974 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:44 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:This is great. In the hunting world this is the epitome of much watch tv and is worthy of pay per view. I hope it's longer than last year's challenge because everyone will be wishing there was more when it was done. For a long time I've heard guys like Eberhardt say nobody comes to Michigan to film hunting shows. Well a bunch of great hunters just answered the call and are coming for Michigan. To continue with the wrestling theme, it's like Dan is replacing Hulk Hogan and says to Michigan/Eberhardt "what cha gonna do, when the big buck serial killer comes for you brother!" I'm excited and good luck to everyone involved. I hope to learn a lot and thanks for agreeing to share this with everybody.

I'm telling ya, I'm excited for this Eberhardt/Serial Killer Dan rivalry to play out! Let's see just how well not worrying about the wind plays out. My bet is on milkweed...lmao! I have always been curious if he was serious about never playing wind? Surely he can't be serious...I guess we will see. I'm requesting THP tells us wind direction for Eberhardts hunts!
I wonder if he has selected a buck already for the challenge? Certainly hunting your backyard has its advantages. I want Dan to win Michigan sooo badly!
I have always enjoyed Dan's more layed back and chill approach to hunting, not saying he isn't taking hunting seriously, but it doesn't manifest as a scowl on his face. Ok I better quit now, I don't want to get timed out from the site...I was just play in around Backstraps...lol! :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:58 am

I have heard over and over how hard it is to kill a decent buck in michigan that I'm expecting this to be a tough hunt. Lots of great hunters involved. Hopefully someone gets the job done. Me and joe will certainly put in a full effort.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 am

I'm getting pretty excited for this. The videos from last year were some of my favorites of "The Deer Tour". I'm expecting this year to be no different.
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 am

Cannot wait for this and to see how the early season hunt plays out as I have been a lifelong Michigan public land hunter.

Going to be tough in the allotted time but definitely do able. I took a 3.5 year old buck last year but played cat and mouse with him for two weeks before the shot opportunity.

Best of luck!!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:33 am

I just want to see how you guys go about hunting Michigan. Also would be cool if you guys could do a podcast after explaining your strategy and all your observations. I’m not talking the THP guys as I know they will do one, I’m talking Dan and Joe. I understand you guys will be right back to Wisconsin trying to kill deer but even if you did something after deer season was over that would be cool.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:39 am

dan wrote:I have heard over and over how hard it is to kill a decent buck in michigan that I'm expecting this to be a tough hunt. Lots of great hunters involved. Hopefully someone gets the job done. Me and joe will certainly put in a full effort.

It will be a tough hunt but anyone on this list of hunters could get in done here on any given day no doubt. Everyone involved is certainly capable. I'm just super excited to meet some of you guys finally and share a camp which will be a highlight for me. I can't wait to hear the stories and how everyone's hunt went.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:55 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
dan wrote:I have heard over and over how hard it is to kill a decent buck in michigan that I'm expecting this to be a tough hunt. Lots of great hunters involved. Hopefully someone gets the job done. Me and joe will certainly put in a full effort.

It will be a tough hunt but anyone on this list of hunters could get in done here on any given day no doubt. Everyone involved is certainly capable. I'm just super excited to meet some of you guys finally and share a camp which will be a highlight for me. I can't wait to hear the stories and how everyone's hunt went.

You must be in the challenge RR7? That’s awesome if so!! Can’t wait to watch it all unfold on YouTube.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”