Tree stand vs ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Re: Tree stand vs ground

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:32 pm

So to clarify a little bit. There are trees, but to get on this buck ill have to set up in a tree fairly close, within 30 yards, it is not a marsh situation, lets call it, a recent open area that is starting to reclaim itself. So it is mostly grasses and blackberry bushes. He is bedding with a large swatch of berry bush to his back, and he can see probably 300 yards, but there is a few blind spots that I can set up in where the veg is taller. He is bedding within 15 yards of where I could park, which blows my mind. There is a small stream that is between him and parking, and it would be impossible to get across that quiet. Its more of a really thick ditch with water running constantly. Plus, I couldnt shoot him from there, not within regulations.

-Rick
DhD
500 Club

Re: Tree stand vs ground

Unread postby DhD » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm

<DK> wrote:I tried a little ground action last year, this season I plan to morning hunt from the ground. Especially early season Im tired of the stand slowing me down or getting busted midway up in the dark. I just wait until grey light and slip in slowly.

I have been thinking the same thing. I'm not super familiar yet with my new climbing system and saddle, I would rather go up when its light out. My ghillie will be fine for mornings.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”