Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:
218er wrote:Me and a buddy were about 10-11 years old at the time and found a shack just randomly in the woods. It was about 75 yards through very thick forest from a snowmobile trail which we were hunting grouse on in the fall. It was at least 5-7 miles from any road whatsoever. There was zero sign of it from the snowmobile trail, no driveway, no trail to it, and the only reason we came across it was that a grouse flew that direction and we were following it. We were so spooked we didn’t know what to do but since we had guns we felt we could handle ourselves. We peeked around and it was surprisingly well kept and stocked with toys, a couch, a tv, dishes etc we left it undisturbed. When I told my dad he said never go anywhere near there again, if you see anybody headed that direction run or hide. It’s was within a few miles of the Canadian border near if not on Voyageurs National Park land. My dad said it was one of two things, both of which he didn’t want us around. Idea 1, the federal government took a lot of private property by eminent domain in the 80’s and some people refused to leave. Idea 2, running drugs was big business in the area back then and this could have been a secret stopping point or hideout. Either way we never went anywhere near it and whenever I think about it I can’t imagine how it would have gone if someone was around. Spooky stuff

How about idea 3. A party shack for snowmobilers/kids that didn't have an apparent trail to it as it was mostly used in the winter.

Or Idea #4. It was really your dad's secret hiding place and didn't want anyone to know. :lol:

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:38 pm

All possible. I remember the lack of any sign of a trail. So puzzling. It seems like a lot of work to park a sled or four wheeler 75 yards away and hike a different way in so as not to make or leave any signs of a trail. You’d have to know it was there and walk at least 50-60 yards into the woods before you’d see it. They have cross country ski sheds and snow mobile rest areas all over the area in the park that are on maps just off main trails with signage all over the place. This thing was different.
Persistence is undefeated.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Hmm... let’s see.

Hollowed out turtle shell that was bleached from being out in the sun. My daughter still has that. Hollowed out armadillo. Junkyards. Old foundations. Flint arrowheads. An office chair inside of an old dumpster for a deer blind. Lots of death-trap permanent wooden deer stands. Chaga mushrooms.

Maybe the weirdest was not what I found, but what I left. My son and I were helping do some maintenance on a mountain bike trail. We’re on our way out and I hear a fart and an “uh-oh.” So, had to do a little trailside maintenance on the boy. Well, leaves took care of it, but I was not going to cart those underwear a hour drive back home so I chucked them in the woods. Can’t imagine what would have gone through somebody’s mind if they see a little kids underwear in the woods in the middle of nowhere... :?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Bowmet

Unread postby Bowmet » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 am

HunterBob wrote:No pictures, but I have found a couple of old stills here in the south, possibly from the prohibition era. Both were next to clear mountain streams.

Love this thread BTW!

Found a few of those myself. One thing that’s pretty cool, is I found one with axe slashes in the barrel. Reckon the authorities must have found that one.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Bowmet wrote:
HunterBob wrote:No pictures, but I have found a couple of old stills here in the south, possibly from the prohibition era. Both were next to clear mountain streams.

Love this thread BTW!

Found a few of those myself. One thing that’s pretty cool, is I found one with axe slashes in the barrel. Reckon the authorities must have found that one.

Haha, glad the prohibition era is over
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Bumping this for more interesting stories.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:28 am

I was way in deep in this section of state forest and found this voodoo/satanist/weirdo shrine. Good 100 yards off a hiking trail in thick mountain laurel. It was like a bunch of candles and skulls and stuffed animals and crap. Like dia de los muertos, but creepy. I didn't examine it in too much detail and turned around and got out of there.

Couple weirdos over the years that gave me the creeps. Came across a topless chick hiking on a trail once. She could stand to lose about 40 pounds or it would have been a better experience.

A few smalls scale MJ grows. Always find them after the season though, never seem to stumble into a nice ripe patch.

Find a lot of old homesteads in the woods here, those I find interesting but there's this one at our camp in a dark hollow, it kinda gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason. I have to walk right by it on my way to my favorite morning spot. Some old family cemeteries too.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:22 am

elk yinzer wrote:I was way in deep in this section of state forest and found this voodoo/satanist/weirdo shrine. Good 100 yards off a hiking trail in thick mountain laurel. It was like a bunch of candles and skulls and stuffed animals and crap. Like dia de los muertos, but creepy. I didn't examine it in too much detail and turned around and got out of there.

Couple weirdos over the years that gave me the creeps. Came across a topless chick hiking on a trail once. She could stand to lose about 40 pounds or it would have been a better experience.

A few smalls scale MJ grows. Always find them after the season though, never seem to stumble into a nice ripe patch.

Find a lot of old homesteads in the woods here, those I find interesting but there's this one at our camp in a dark hollow, it kinda gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason. I have to walk right by it on my way to my favorite morning spot. Some old family cemeteries too.

Any topless chick is a good experience, regardless of +/- 40 pounds!

I found a bunch of old homesteads too. i was in ohio on public in march. Found just the stone foundation of a house. made me question how old it must have been to be that far gone, of course maybe it was torn down i don't know. I also found a graveyard so old the names where not even legible. just square shaped stones...
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Somthingoriginal

Unread postby Somthingoriginal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Found this last week... Kind of unique in that it's in such good shape for the age and all alone in timber.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:00 pm

Somthingoriginal wrote:Found this last week... Kind of unique in that it's in such good shape for the age and all alone in timber.

What is the date on it?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 pm

The other night me and a friend finished up shining and he dropped me off at my truck in a public land parking lot. Got all my stuff put away and was taking a leak when I saw something up in the trees flashing white and red. It was about 30ft up and I thought someone put a camera up there. Got out my spotlight and shined it. It wasn’t a camera it was in some thin branches and couldn’t tell what it was and still don’t know. I think some crook threw his ankle tether up there. I saw a guy earlier in that parking lot sitting in his car right by where it was.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:11 pm

elk yinzer wrote:

I found several when I used to coonhunt a lot. You see chicken wire way back in the woods you know it isn't someone growing tomatoes :lol: . Sometimes people booby trap that stuff so I would steer clear when I did.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:16 am

jjc1974us

Unread postby jjc1974us » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:30 am

<DK> wrote:Can anyone explain those kill times on his calendar? Clearly poaching them right?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

If it's far enough North, there is 24 hours of daylight in the summer. If I'm not mistaken Moose opens up late Summer.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:17 am

jjc1974us wrote:
<DK> wrote:Can anyone explain those kill times on his calendar? Clearly poaching them right?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

If it's far enough North, there is 24 hours of daylight in the summer. If I'm not mistaken Moose opens up late Summer.

Correct. When I was up there it never got completely dark. It was more like twilight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”