Think Exit!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Think Exit!!

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:33 am

I listened to the new wired to hunt podcast on Thursday, Mark was interviewing Mark Drury about how to handle before and after the shot. I enjoyed several parts of what was said but one thing that really stood out was thinking exit when aiming. Mark said he had never heard of anyone thinking that way.

I was sorta floored as that had been what I’ve been doing for over 20 years. As a matter of fact, I think it was thunderhead broadheads, that had had a limb sticker that just said “Think Exit”. I had one stuck on the top limb facing me on my first several bows back in the 90’s.

A guy has to think about shooting threw a deer and where that arrow is going to come out and what all your going to hit on the way. I’m sure I’m not the only one that has that ingrained in the aiming on a live deer. I think that has helped me seal the deal on many deer throughout the years with a very high success rate on my shots.

So who all thinks exit? Anyone remember those limb stickers?

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
backstraps

Re: Think Exit!!

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:37 am

I don’t remember the limb stickers from thunderhead, but I did have Mindy @ Onestringer make several different limb stickers for our bows

I have always trained my thoughts to think exit hole!
Especially on angle shots etc
I remember while teaching my daughter to shoot a bow, there were several things I repeated over and over. Thinking exit was one of those. Good stuff!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:24 am

Lost a nice buck last year cause I didn’t think about the exit. Learned my lesson the hard way
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:39 am

I really don't think about exit. I think more of where it is between entry and exit. Still pretty much the same that you want the arrow to pass thru as much of the boiler room as possible.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:42 am

Yeah been thinking exit for so long I can't remember not thinking it. But I do agree. Not picturing it gets alot of shooters in trouble. Some of it stems from shooting at rings during 3D shoots. I dropped points at quite a few shoots because I chose to shoot where you had to, to get a kill. Not where the 10 ring was marked!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:48 am

stash59 wrote:Yeah been thinking exit for so long I can't remember not thinking it. But I do agree. Not picturing it gets alot of shooters in trouble. Some of it stems from shooting at rings during 3D shoots. I dropped points at quite a few shoots because I chose to shoot where you had to, to get a kill. Not where the 10 ring was marked!

I do the same! I only hit one or two 3d shoots a year and generally dont even turn in my score card. I just don't for practicing different distances and angles.

I've been very lucky in my bow hunting career to only ever lose one deer that I've shot and I believe that's because of visualizing what I'm fixing to hit with this broadhead and where its gonna come out.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:56 am

The old hunters ed classes had the old deer "dolls". Miniature 3D models. You could sick a pin in them to see where you had to aim to hit the vitals and show your exit. Don't know if they still use them? Great learning tool.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:57 am

I can see how thinking about the exit and what the arrow will pass through would be a good way to slow things down, help settle nerves and focus on the spot instead of the antlers or the deer.
I wish I could say I always do it.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:03 am

I think of a basketball in the chest cavity. Whatever angle I have to take to puncture the basketball right in the center. It happens instinctively mostly now
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:20 am

Hawthorne wrote:I think of a basketball in the chest cavity. Whatever angle I have to take to puncture the basketball right in the center. It happens instinctively mostly now

That is a better analogy of what I do.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:32 am

cspot wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:I think of a basketball in the chest cavity. Whatever angle I have to take to puncture the basketball right in the center. It happens instinctively mostly now

Yeah I'm kinda at a combo of both. Picturing the entrance, center mass of the ball, then exit gives me 3 points of reference. Seems like alot to think about. But once used to it. It happens pretty quick. Using 3D models ahead of time really helps alot too. You see where that pin goes in a model. Keeps you from doubting yourself. When the adrenalin is flowing.
100rollie

Unread postby 100rollie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:36 am

I believe in the 80's, "N.A.P." sold The thunderhead 160's with a limb sticker that said - "stay calm , pick a spot", too.
Trump won
I know it, you know it.
Are you a democrat , or an American!
"Lets Go Brandon!"
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:40 am

stash59 wrote:
cspot wrote:

Yeah I'm kinda at a combo of both. Picturing the entrance, center mass of the ball, then exit gives me 3 points of reference. Seems like alot to think about. But once used to it. It happens pretty quick. Using 3D models ahead of time really helps alot too. You see where that pin goes in a model. Keeps you from doubting yourself. When the adrenalin is flowing.

ANymore I don't even consciously think about. It is just habit.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:45 am

cspot wrote:
stash59 wrote:
cspot wrote:

ANymore I don't even consciously think about. It is just habit.

I hear ya! Spent alot of years picking "the" spot on every deer pic I looked at!!!!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:19 am

Same here, I'm thinking about angles to get it through the chest.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”