Hunting Georgia??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bogle

Re: Hunting Georgia??

Unread postby Bogle » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:39 am

I hunt S.W. GA as well and the beast tactics have been a game changer for me. Every year the deer I have killed have gotten bigger with my 2018 10 pt in the Beast Kill thread being my largest. Personally, I like anything with water around it with swamps being my favorite. I also like the thick stuff around the edges of pines for bucks, but don’t like the middle of pines for them. I seem to find more does in the middle of the pines. I will walk the edges of the thick stuff in the off-season Looking for entrance and exit routes etc...... One thing that I have found with the absolute best beds is they all seem to have some type of visual component. Sometimes it’s only 15 yds or so but they always have it set up where they can see a little ways. This helps me eliminate a lot of unproductive thick areas. At the end of this past season I found two large primary beds that were in areas so thick I had to crawl in to them. However, both were located under huge pine trees on the edges of a swamp transition. Once in the beds I could see for 50 yds in either direction and had the thick stuff to my back. When I stood up in the bed all you could really see were from my knees downward as the canopy was so thick. The buck could literally move in either direction inside the thick stuff and you would only see from his knees downward. Again, the beds had water around them, were remote, had super thick stuff surrounding them and contained a visual component They were the only two beds like that along this transition line. I will most likely have to set up on an exit trail to catch him.

Austinjay1023

Unread postby Austinjay1023 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:45 am

What part of south west Georgia we hunt wma close to Columbus a lot there ain’t no swamp there lol
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:37 am

Austinjay1023 wrote:What part of south west Georgia we hunt wma close to Columbus a lot there ain’t no swamp there lol

Think he’s referring to Chickasawhatchee outside of Albany
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Austinjay1023

Unread postby Austinjay1023 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:42 am

Ok gotcha my uncle and them hunt that place a lot for pigs I ain’t never been cause I ain’t worried about a pig lol he did say it was swampy down there tho
FallowJaeger

Unread postby FallowJaeger » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:21 am

Austinjay1023 wrote:Yes I did I ended up shooting my biggest deer so far far what part of Georgia you from?

That is a great looking buck, congrats. I'm northeast of Atlanta in Jackson County. I'd been part of clubs the last five years but just wasn't having much luck. I started listing to Dan Infalt on podcast and youtube. I decided I'm going to try this mobile public land hunting thing, see if I can have better luck. Sounds like you had a great 2018 season.
Austinjay1023

Unread postby Austinjay1023 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:41 am

I did! I didn’t get to hunt too much cause my son was born in September so I was limited but I went a lot. Last year I sold my climbers and told my self I’m using just sticks and loc on and it opened up my world! Which I always hunted public land bow hunting cause they are the only ones that are sign in! But I found out about dan last summer and and listed and watched every video at first I was kinda skeptical about it but when I seen what he said with my own eyes everything started clicking and making sense! But the club thing I would be kicked out in a heart beat cause most people want you signed in a spot and people have thier own area I like public cause I can go where I please not that I’m going to hunt right on someone.
monstamike

Unread postby monstamike » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:25 am

I have property near west point. I have explored the wmas very little. What are y'alls experience with west point wmas?
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:54 pm

monstamike wrote:I have property near west point. I have explored the wmas very little. What are y'alls experience with west point wmas?

There’s people and there’s deer ;)
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
monstamike

Unread postby monstamike » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:10 am

I have a nice buck that beds every year on the leeward side of this same ridge and the bottom it overlooks has a creek running through it. I hunted him last year by approaching from the downwind side and he went the other way the one opportunity I had. So this year I waited until a rain and little wind. I went in with the purpose of hanging a camera but also to scout this other side. It is tore up with rubs (last year and previous) before I got within 200 yards he busted me and blew me out. I slowly proceeded in and found that he had not busted completely out of the area and he blew me out again. We never made eye contact but he definitely heard and smelled me. I hung the camera and got out of there. I plan on hunting him this year, what advice do you have. Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”