Catch of the Day!

• Advertisement

HB Store

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Re: Catch of the Day!

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:48 am

Took advantage of the rainless day streak we got going here and walked a section line of creek. Found some mammoth holes with small fish and one rock hole that was downright impossible without luck to pull the pair that were in it. If a man has the time to walk the creek he shouldn’t have trouble finding a good bank hole with a fish in it right now. Love the amount of meat you get off of any fish over 30lb.
64D3C330-AF73-4052-8517-C3CA6CF086AA.jpeg
AC9E55FF-E36D-4D6F-9F9D-284281D171ED.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:41 am

DaveT1963 wrote:That's a good haul - crappie are the only fish I really like down south - kind of got spoiled on N walleye, pike and Y perch

I agree, crappie are my fav! But I haven't had any northern fish. Had a guy give me a bunch of salmon he caught In Alaska once that was mucho Bueno. When I was stationed in Guam I had some great seafood. Used to go free diving at night with a burlap bag tied to my waste snatching angel lobster. Caught a 15 pounder once. I was the bubba Gump of lobster, I ate it every day with everything. Don't believe I have ate any since and don't care to lol.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:48 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:Took advantage of the rainless day streak we got going here and walked a section line of creek. Found some mammoth holes with small fish and one rock hole that was downright impossible without luck to pull the pair that were in it. If a man has the time to walk the creek he shouldn’t have trouble finding a good bank hole with a fish in it right now. Love the amount of meat you get off of any fish over 30lb.
64D3C330-AF73-4052-8517-C3CA6CF086AA.jpegAC9E55FF-E36D-4D6F-9F9D-284281D171ED.jpeg

Nice fish man! Happy your rains have ended, still been flooding here. This week brought major rain. Creeks are running lake is 2' over full. Sad to say I havent snatched a single flathead this year. Doesn't look like I'm going to either, most the guys doing it around here are using scuba gear and air. Just isn't for me and water is to deep for a fighting chance for my style of whisker pullin.
-John Wayne-
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Wannabelikedan wrote:Took advantage of the rainless day streak we got going here and walked a section line of creek. Found some mammoth holes with small fish and one rock hole that was downright impossible without luck to pull the pair that were in it. If a man has the time to walk the creek he shouldn’t have trouble finding a good bank hole with a fish in it right now. Love the amount of meat you get off of any fish over 30lb.
64D3C330-AF73-4052-8517-C3CA6CF086AA.jpegAC9E55FF-E36D-4D6F-9F9D-284281D171ED.jpeg

Nice fish man! Happy your rains have ended, still been flooding here. This week brought major rain. Creeks are running lake is 2' over full. Sad to say I havent snatched a single flathead this year. Doesn't look like I'm going to either, most the guys doing it around here are using scuba gear and air. Just isn't for me and water is to deep for a fighting chance for my style of whisker pullin.

More rain coming Saturday and Sunday. It refuses to dry up around here. Luckily the bedding should be about the same this season as last season. There’s my “glass half full” thought for the day :lol:
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:45 pm

That’s a heck of a fish and good looking pot of fish WBLD.

I still don’t fancy the idea of sticking my hand where the sun don’t shine :lol: and having something grab onto it.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Pulled in a 6 lb Carp the other afternoon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:00 pm

greenhorndave wrote:That’s a heck of a fish and good looking pot of fish WBLD.

I still don’t fancy the idea of sticking my hand where the sun don’t shine :lol: and having something grab onto it.

The more inclined the fish is to bite, higher chances it’s getting caught. Flatheads don’t always bite and many times will turn to face or retreat to the back of the hole. Resulting in a struggle to get it turned to get your hand in its mouth. Their mouths are designed to catch and don’t have a super high bite force. Blue cats are a different story. They almost always meet you at the front of the hole. Their mouths are designed to crush and they will do just that given the opportunity. They’re the bulldogs of the creeks and rivers. The one I caught a few weeks ago tore my hand up pretty good and that was with a glove on.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Took the kids out fishing today.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Just over 9 lb carp.

20190702_200104.jpg
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:45 pm

Noreast10pt wrote:Just over 9 lb carp.

20190702_200104.jpg

Rod and reel or bow?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:03 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Noreast10pt wrote:Just over 9 lb carp.

20190702_200104.jpg

Rod and reel or bow?

Rod and reel.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:25 am

Actually had some free time today ;) (thanks gma and gpa)

Decided to head to the river before getting the chainsaw out at Oscars. 1/4 oz jig with a white twister tail, and a silver mimic minnow did real well for me today. Caught 4 walleyes, 2 white bass, and 1 northern in an hour and a half :shock: it’s days like this that make the slow days worth it!
0FBE4C5B-A6B8-4DD9-815F-92087422B25E.jpeg

27DABB9C-C268-4475-A24A-A51ABF3BE16C.jpeg

06086B64-D76F-4CF9-AF51-7F031ADA1BD9.jpeg
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:58 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Nice oldrank! Now what the heck is it? And what's the marble looking things, guessing eggs. Real or synthetic? Also what's the logic behind fishing with that style bait? For the fish I have to play with catfish is the onlything I use a prepared or cut bait for. Mainly cause I fish the spawn for whatever species, and a jig/lure lets me cover a lot of water quicker and find where they are piled up. Catfish are not nearly as visual and rely mostly on smell so I'm better off stinking up an area an bringing them to me. Always like learning something new and why guys fish for a certain fish a certain way, if u don't mind sharing.

Ever tried tiger shrimp for catfish? I’ve had great success with that here on the Ohio. Need live bait for the flatheads but blue and big channels seem to go for the shrimp. I like it because if you don’t use it all, just freeze or it cook it for myself.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:13 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Nice oldrank! Now what the heck is it? And what's the marble looking things, guessing eggs. Real or synthetic? Also what's the logic behind fishing with that style bait? For the fish I have to play with catfish is the onlything I use a prepared or cut bait for. Mainly cause I fish the spawn for whatever species, and a jig/lure lets me cover a lot of water quicker and find where they are piled up. Catfish are not nearly as visual and rely mostly on smell so I'm better off stinking up an area an bringing them to me. Always like learning something new and why guys fish for a certain fish a certain way, if u don't mind sharing.

Ever tried tiger shrimp for catfish? I’ve had great success with that here on the Ohio. Need live bait for the flatheads but blue and big channels seem to go for the shrimp. I like it because if you don’t use it all, just freeze or it cook it for myself.

No doubt bigger fish prefer the live bait or fresh cut bait. I use shrimp when I fishing running creeks or rivers. But for a whole lot of eating size channel cats in a hurry I prefer stink bait. Fishing rip rap or timber with shrimp and such often catches turtles and trash fish around here.
-John Wayne-
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 am

Somehow missed this thread until now, love it!

Saturday evening took the family by the local river back a ways for a little bbq and fishing. Kids and I climbed around in some downed timber while I flipped bass jigs into every little opening I could find. 15 bass in a little over an hour, smallest was 12" with three over 20" one pushing 6 lbs. Very well may have been the best window of bassin' I've ever had.

Lots of fun!

• Advertisement

Return to “Lake Fishing”