DIY Kentucky

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Buck

DIY Kentucky

Unread postby Southern Buck » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:58 am

I will be attempting my first out of state trip this year and have selected western Kentucky as my destination. To say I’m excited would be an understatement. I’ve always had the itch to test myself on an out of state hunting trip, and I finally got the go ahead from my wife as a Father’s Day gift.

Any tips, pointers, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Since we are talking public land if you had rather shoot me a pm that would be fine. I’ve done a lot of research already, and have a pretty good idea of where I’ll be headed, but I’d like to hear a little input from some guys who’ve already given the bluegrass state a go.

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Dpierce72
500 Club

Re: DIY Kentucky

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:38 am

I have two locations in KY I'm planning to choose between as well...
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Jbhuff0822

Unread postby Jbhuff0822 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:43 am

I’m headed out to western Kentucky for my first public land hunt in that state as well this year. Wish you the best! I typically go hunt public in ohio but just want a change of scenery this year. Let me know how you do!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Post up some daily journal’s here this fall to all hunting in Ky. Wish everyone the best! Lets see some pics! 8-)
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:06 am

Where do you guys have in mind? Relatively I mean. Not asking for details. I live in West KY. If I can help I will
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Southern Man wrote:Where do you guys have in mind? Relatively I mean. Not asking for details. I live in West KY. If I can help I will

I was leaning Ft Campbell or Land Between the Lakes, but just getting started w/prep. I'm all ears for any local advice if you want to PM me maybe we could exchange numbers and chat. I'll be coming solo.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Jbhuff0822

Unread postby Jbhuff0822 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:25 am

I’m planning on a hunt this fall as well. The plan is to give Peabody a try. We’re planning on going November 2nd thru November 9th with our bows. I know a couple guys who have hunted it with some great success. Anybody else hunt here in this time frame? I know it’s a huge tract of land with all types of terrain. So I’m looking forward to trying something different!
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:23 am

I’ll try to do a write up after it’s all over though (according to my wife) I’m not much of a story teller. :lol:
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Oldcrowe

Unread postby Oldcrowe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:15 am

Jbhuff0822 wrote:I’m planning on a hunt this fall as well. The plan is to give Peabody a try. We’re planning on going November 2nd thru November 9th with our bows. I know a couple guys who have hunted it with some great success. Anybody else hunt here in this time frame? I know it’s a huge tract of land with all types of terrain. So I’m looking forward to trying something different!

Good call on 11/2-9 at Peabody. With the gun season opening that Saturday, you guys should have some luck. I was studying that place pretty hard until some calendar issues pushed me back a week. I’m headed to Yellowbank 11/11-15. Should catch the full moon though. First trip up so fingers crossed.

Anybody hunted Yellowbank have some insider info they would be willing to share?
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am

Somebody on here posted a lengthy log of their Kentucky hunt last year. I think they guy even camped in a tent for a week. Not sure here he was hunting.

I would suggest anything song or near the Ohio River.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jbhuff0822

Unread postby Jbhuff0822 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:27 am

Old Crowe

That’s the plan. I’m hoping it pans out. I’ve always wanted to try Kentucky. I’ve been stuck on Ohio for too long. It’s a heck of a State too but getting to be crazy with the amount of pressure. And Peabody has a lot more land to deal with pressure. We will see how it goes.

Good luck to you though!
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:30 pm

Biggest advice I can give is enjoy the process. Lots of times with a short trip the focus is so intense on trying to kill one we forget to have fun and need a vacation from the vacation we get so wound up. Have an initial plan. Be prepared to make adjustments or even complete changes. But embrace the challenge and have fun!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Oldcrowe wrote:
Jbhuff0822 wrote:I’m planning on a hunt this fall as well. The plan is to give Peabody a try. We’re planning on going November 2nd thru November 9th with our bows. I know a couple guys who have hunted it with some great success. Anybody else hunt here in this time frame? I know it’s a huge tract of land with all types of terrain. So I’m looking forward to trying something different!

Good call on 11/2-9 at Peabody. With the gun season opening that Saturday, you guys should have some luck. I was studying that place pretty hard until some calendar issues pushed me back a week. I’m headed to Yellowbank 11/11-15. Should catch the full moon though. First trip up so fingers crossed.

Anybody hunted Yellowbank have some insider info they would be willing to share?

Hunted yellow banks years ago. It looks good but there are several locals that hunt it. Its hill country so be prepared for that. Back when i went it was very low numbers cause they gun hunted the crap out of it but its been bow only i think with late muzzle loader i think. Could not tell you how it is now wished i could be more help than that!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Jbhuff0822 wrote:Old Crowe

That’s the plan. I’m hoping it pans out. I’ve always wanted to try Kentucky. I’ve been stuck on Ohio for too long. It’s a heck of a State too but getting to be crazy with the amount of pressure. And Peabody has a lot more land to deal with pressure. We will see how it goes.

Good luck to you though!

Don't expect it to be a cake walk, there are a lot of super thick areas there which makes it tough! Ive been scouting the crap out of it for 4 years now in a lot of different places. My advice is spend one whole day scouting, one day glassing, then plan your attack! Good luck!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Dpierce72 wrote:
Southern Man wrote:Where do you guys have in mind? Relatively I mean. Not asking for details. I live in West KY. If I can help I will

I was leaning Ft Campbell or Land Between the Lakes, but just getting started w/prep. I'm all ears for any local advice if you want to PM me maybe we could exchange numbers and chat. I'll be coming solo.

Any place that southern man cant help you with, i might be able too! You can pm me , i hunt several areas just a little further east than were hes at, but im still in western ky!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”