Looking for a hang on

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawkeyebowhunter

Looking for a hang on

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Wed May 01, 2019 3:39 pm

I need a hang on stand that I can use for run and gun.

Thinking of the XOP Vanish, really like the looks of that new Lonewolf Custom but cant justify that price.

Been watching a ton of videos to customize and quiet down the stand, I really like how I can flip the seat around and use it as a load shelf.

Any other stand I should be looking at?

Also what's your favorite mod to do on a stand, whether that's quieting it down, or how you pack it, to how you have your bow hanging from/on it while sitting.

Thanks all

Hawkeyebowhunter

Re: Looking for a hang on

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Wed May 01, 2019 4:08 pm

Should mention, I've hunted out of a hang on stand one hunt in my life, the rest have been ladder stands or permanent wood stands, so I'm new to this particular style of bowhunting.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:24 pm

Dan, the og beast himself will be releasing the best stand for the mobile hunter on the planet soon. Personally I’d wait for that to be released.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed May 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Get yourself a Long Wolf Alpha or Assault 2 and sticks and get proficient with hanging and hunting. Saddle system is also an option.

From there you can decide if you want to drop the cash on a high end stand like Dan's or LWCG.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu May 02, 2019 12:23 am

Ack wrote:Get yourself a Long Wolf Alpha or Assault 2 and sticks and get proficient with hanging and hunting. Saddle system is also an option.

From there you can decide if you want to drop the cash on a high end stand like Dan's or LWCG.

This ^

I was in the same boat as you last year. Got a used XOP Maximus because I’m not super fond of heights and wanted a big platform. Got fairly good with it, but it’s 16+ pounds and way too bulky. I’ve gotten used to the whole hang-on thing now and I’m going to pick up a higher-end stand next, but I would absolutely go with a LW Assault II as a first stand if I had to do it over again. Quality is better than XOP, as is size and weight.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 02, 2019 1:12 am

Agree with Ack.

You from Iowa?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu May 02, 2019 2:37 am

The X Stand is a decent lower price option with some basic mods. I regret selling mine because I liked it better than the XOP Air Raid I switched to.

Like others said I would get familiar with an existing stand before upgrading to one of the upcoming luxury models. That'd be like buying a Ferarri as your first car, I don't think you'd appreciate it otherwise.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 02, 2019 4:24 am

I would go with Lone wolf, or wait for my stand... You can always sell the lonewolf when mine comes out. Price should not be a deterrent. You buy one quality stand for run and gunning and it lasts a lifetime. Did you buy a cheap bow at a grage sale that don't fit you? Chances are you paid more for your bow than you would for the stand and the stand will out live your bow... A quality mobile system is worth the price. In my opinion, L/W is much better built than XOP. for now... ;)
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Thu May 02, 2019 4:29 am

muddy wrote:Agree with Ack.

You from Iowa?

Hello sir, yes I live in Iowa/grew up here
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Thu May 02, 2019 4:29 am

dan wrote:I would go with Lone wolf, or wait for my stand... You can always sell the lonewolf when mine comes out. Price should not be a deterrent. You buy one quality stand for run and gunning and it lasts a lifetime. Did you buy a cheap bow at a grage sale that don't fit you? Chances are you paid more for your bow than you would for the stand and the stand will out live your bow... A quality mobile system is worth the price. In my opinion, L/W is much better built than XOP. for now... ;)

Hello sir, do you have any details on the stand you're selling? I'm sure that sounds like a complete noob question, however I am very new to this site.

Thanks!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 02, 2019 6:40 am

Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:
dan wrote:I would go with Lone wolf, or wait for my stand... You can always sell the lonewolf when mine comes out. Price should not be a deterrent. You buy one quality stand for run and gunning and it lasts a lifetime. Did you buy a cheap bow at a grage sale that don't fit you? Chances are you paid more for your bow than you would for the stand and the stand will out live your bow... A quality mobile system is worth the price. In my opinion, L/W is much better built than XOP. for now... ;)

Hello sir, do you have any details on the stand you're selling? I'm sure that sounds like a complete noob question, however I am very new to this site.

Thanks!

The current design is 6 pounds and is small like the Assault. We are looking at making a larger version eventually. If you use the search function you should find some info on it here on the Beast... Trying to keep it low key till we get closer to release date. Our sticks are out, and you can find lots of discussion about those on the beast as well..
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 02, 2019 8:00 am

Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:

You from Iowa?

Same here, Iowa City area.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:01 am

I agree with me...lol no offense Ack. Get Dans stand cuz if you like the mobile thing, you’ll end up buying the beast stand eventually. If you don’t like it you can sell it in a day on this site, ebay, AT, Craig’s list....wherever it’s the best stand out there and guys will want it. You could probably even make a few bucks on it. I really don’t see how you wouldn’t like it tho. A quality stand is something you don’t want to cut corners on.
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Thu May 02, 2019 8:54 am

muddy wrote:
Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:

You from Iowa?

Same here, Iowa City area.

Go Hawks!

I live and grew up right around West Des Moines
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu May 02, 2019 11:09 am

Please study up on safety harnesses. USE ONE EVERY TIME!

For me and my hunting I love a rock climbing harness. Using it for every hunt keeps me from neglecting to wear it. Educate yourself if you want to try one. DIY sportsman on you tube has some great video of most of what you are getting into.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”