Hang on stands in swamps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Gobblerman

Hang on stands in swamps

Unread postby Gobblerman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:50 am

So I’ve been hunting the edge of the swamps on a piece of property in southwest Michigan. I’ve never hunted in the swamp before. This next season I’m planning on huntingthe swamp. I did some scouting a couple weeks ago, found a nice trail that leads to a very small island, nice bed and some rubs as well. My plans are to hang a couple stands this month, going to hang one tomorrow. Anything I should be concerned with? The tree I have picked out is about 20 yards from the trail and the island is about 70 yards away. New to the sight, I’ll see if I can load a pic.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on hanging stands in the swamp.

JAK
500 Club

Re: Hang on stands in swamps

Unread postby JAK » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Only concern i would have with a pre hung stand is cant make adjustments based on wind and or hot sign. What u see is sort of what u get. Ive very rarley gone into a spot and sat the exact tree that i planned to hunt out of.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:18 pm

I'd say hang for cover and not for height. If you don't have much cover, cut a couple cedar branches so help silhouette your outline.

My advice with permanent stands is don't push it when its not the best conditions. Use what you've learned to pick the right wind and only hunt it with that wind. I'm against the grain on here but now with young kids and hunting far from where I live, pre set stands are the way I go 80% of the time. I do have about 30 to 35 to choose from and only hunt them once or twice a year and only when the conditions are ideal. Permanent stands aren't bad, they just turn bad when you hunt them too much. Pick the ideal conditions for that spot before the season and wait for those conditions.

I'll admit, I don't hang cameras in swamps but I'm curious if you can get a camera somewhere nearby to learn what wind he is using to access the bed from that spot. That might help key on when you should hunt that spot.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Go sit in the beds on the island, will the deer be able to see you climb in the tree? Usually not an issue early season but during prime time there is little cover. Sometimes you need to setup low to keep out of there line of sight so keep that in mind.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Gobblerman wrote:So I’ve been hunting the edge of the swamps on a piece of property in southwest Michigan. I’ve never hunted in the swamp before. This next season I’m planning on huntingthe swamp. I did some scouting a couple weeks ago, found a nice trail that leads to a very small island, nice bed and some rubs as well. My plans are to hang a couple stands this month, going to hang one tomorrow. Anything I should be concerned with? The tree I have picked out is about 20 yards from the trail and the island is about 70 yards away. New to the sight, I’ll see if I can load a pic.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on hanging stands in the swamp.

I wouldn't burn the stand until I knew the buck was using the bedding area. Cameras can ruin a stand for most when swamp hunting. A recon on subtle travel funnels away from the bedding area can show when the buck is there if you do not have prior experience with the area. When the oversized track, droppings, scrape or rub appears the iron is hot and it is time to strike.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:28 pm

Try and set the stand in what you think would be the most typical wind and or thermals. Your kinda stuck until
conditions are right but you can always go hunt observe and reset based on what your see or new sign that pops up.
Persistence is undefeated.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:06 am

I hunt a lot of swamps and marsh areas.... I am usually where it is wet. I use a light hang on and one stick, and have for years. all I need is a place to sit quiet, and in cover. with cattails I do not like to be above them, just almost even with their tops. I always think lower than higher, good cover, and my feet are dry all day.

I have developed my own system, and now that I shoot a compound more with the 80percent left off, I shoot sitting down if I can....... I have a step ladder stand that I use also, but if I can find something to hang a stand on, I am all on board

I just found the sit and drag, going to buy one, with one stick, could use that in some spots, ( I think), if not, I am not out a lot of money.........

I love islands, I think they are just natural draw spots for bucks.... yes I have bumped bucks off those spots, only to have them return, when I am on stand,,,,
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:53 am

I wouldn’t hang permanent sets. You’re advertising to other hunters. You’re also keeping your stink in that spot for a while with whatever you put in those trees. Is there a reason you don’t want to hang and hunt?
Also...if you’re anything like me, you’re going to have to adjust your sets from your initial hunches as to where the deer are and how they move. The deer will tell you where you need to set up. Then you have to move. This is where being mobile helps you kill animals.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”