Wrong side of tree?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Re: Wrong side of tree?

Unread postby trob_205 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Doing that very thing cost me this year. Thought he was on the trail that would bring him to my left and at the last minute came to the right. Couldn’t get swung around in time and it was game over for that spot. Ultimately ended up killing the buck with a gun during regular firearm season but getting it done with a bow is soo much sweeter.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Believe it's only considered the "wrong side" if it costs u the shot. Otherwise it's perfect placement :D

For me and my hunting style I have got to know which way the deer are coming from and set up to watch that direction. It's a game of see him b4 he sees me type deal. Having your back to where the deer should approach is a recipe for disaster and heartbreak unless you stand the entire time. Samething if I'm on the ground, would rather be in front of the tree than behind it. Being behind the tree causes "peeking" and a lot of unnecessary movement.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:12 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:... last year i climbed a tree and setup twice while watching deer doing it.

Weren’t they kinda too busy to notice you anyway? :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:35 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:... last year i climbed a tree and setup twice while watching deer doing it.

Weren’t they kinda too busy to notice you anyway? :lol:
wasnt my best choice of words :lol:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:02 am

I always try to set up where I can shoot the deer while I'm am sitting down, which is to my right, since I am left handed. This allows me to move a lot less when preparing to take a shot. Does it always go as planned? Absolutely not. But It is my general rule of thumb.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”