first destination food and edible bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: first destination food and edible bedding

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:04 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:Good points all round. I'm gonna see if there's an app. Great idea.

Leaf snap is a pretty good app.

is that the one you take a pic of the leaf and its drops a list of trees?

I use pl@ntnet app

Is it relatively accurate?[/quote]

sometimes, but other times it leaves you wondering as so many potential matches come up. wish they'd limit it to N American plants and trees.

Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Yeah it’s pretty good like I said. Helps narrow it down at least for trees.

Not sure about grasses and Forbes.

Your best off either making friends with a wildlife/forestry professional and asking questions or carrying an autobon book around.

Eattheweeds.com is a weird hippy type website that I’ve learned some stuff on. It’s about what humans can eat that grows in the woods, but there is some overlap.

An example, sumac (not the poisonous type grows all over the place down here. It’s Berry’s are edible to humans. Tastes kinda like cranberries. Makes a good tea. I took notice because our deer down this way love to makes rubs in the patches of it.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:38 pm

Ahawk116 wrote:Yeah it’s pretty good like I said. Helps narrow it down at least for trees.

Your best off either making friends with a wildlife/forestry professional and asking questions or carrying an autobon book around.

Eattheweeds.com is a weird hippy type website that I’ve learned some stuff on. It’s about what humans can eat that grows in the woods, but there is some overlap.

An example, sumac (not the poisonous type grows all over the place down here. It’s Berry’s are edible to humans. Tastes kinda like cranberries. Makes a good tea. I took notice because our deer down this way love to makes rubs in the patches of it.

they will eat the berries too if they can reach them i say they taste like strawberry lemonade. poison sumac kind of looks like angelica with white berries green berries. another one deer like is poke weed berries. and we cant forget about wild grapes deer love them. im always looking for grape vines when scouting early season.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:14 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:Yeah it’s pretty good like I said. Helps narrow it down at least for trees.

they will eat the berries too if they can reach them i say they taste like strawberry lemonade. poison sumac kind of looks like angelica with white berries green berries. another one deer like is poke weed berries. and we cant forget about wild grapes deer love them. im always looking for grape vines when scouting early season.

Dang, wild grapes are another good one I hadn’t thought about either. Crops rule a lot here in farm country, but some of these other plants you mentioned might wind up being the key in some areas.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:44 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:

Yup muscadines are delicious for us and the deer. I think deer have a sweet tooth and if you find a patch of them near bedding it’s money. They drop basically the month of September here.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:51 pm

On that note one of the best places to put a trail camera in the summer is under a mulberry tree. They drop mid summer when the bucks are pretty developed.

The berries look A lot like a black berry.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:23 am

Ahawk116 wrote:On that note one of the best places to put a trail camera in the summer is under a mulberry tree. They drop mid summer when the bucks are pretty developed.

The berries look A lot like a black berry.

i run alot of cameras in blueberry bogs in summer and always get good bachelor groups on camera. targeting these areas that have summer berry crops are good places to get inventory of mature bucks for the upcoming season. its a short window but it can provide valuable data for whats around. because of the cover some of theses bogs produce can make valuable cover for deer year round.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:34 am

wild straw berries can be very productive for deer they love the berries and the plant. learning all these species can be very productive when its time too pic a tree for the hunt when related too bedding. some late season ones are wax myrtle water cress and furn roots deer will bed in close proximity of these when the weather gets tough and everything is brown. its all about using these for tree placement and getting good shot angles nothing better for a bow than getting a shot on a pre occupied animal.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:40 am

even something as simple as finding a bowl in the woods where all the acorns can roll into and condense can really make a hot spot when the snow covers everything. the less work a deer has too do too fill its stomach the better. finding these focal points where deer can get a smorgasbord of food will make travel from bedding more predictable in any terrain.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:01 am

ghoasthunter wrote:even something as simple as finding a bowl in the woods where all the acorns can roll into and condense can really make a hot spot when the snow covers everything. the less work a deer has too do too fill its stomach the better. finding these focal points where deer can get a smorgasbord of food will make travel from bedding more predictable in any terrain.

My goodness, this makes so much sense. It’s kind of one of these :idea: moments for me as I scout for the upcoming season. Appreciate your insights GH.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:43 am

An often overlooked late winter preferred food for deer is honey locust pods. That are packed with carbs and protein and the bucks around here will hit them hard once everything browns up.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 am

DaveT1963 wrote:An often overlooked late winter preferred food for deer is honey locust pods. That are packed with carbs and protein and the bucks around here will hit them hard once everything browns up.

i wish i had more of them around hear they would be a awesome thing too have.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:An often overlooked late winter preferred food for deer is honey locust pods. That are packed with carbs and protein and the bucks around here will hit them hard once everything browns up.

i wish i had more of them around hear they would be a awesome thing too have.

I have seen them but not where I hunt. I know deer love em late.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”