Welcome Mike Mitten

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Welcome Mike Mitten

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:32 am

Just seen this too. Welcome Mike! Incredible stories!! :shock:

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:02 pm

Wow awesome read. I'm not sure what's more impressive, killing that moose or carrying those two bucks out!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:09 am

Mike few shooting questions if you have time??

Do you shot split or 3 under, whats your take for pure hunting with these methods??

Instinctive and gap, what do you use and why??

Carbon,Ally or wood??

The reason I ask is , this was my 3rd early with the stick bow, my 1st year was obviously luck of some kind. I made the whole season last year but missed 5 deer, 2 trophy bucks all under 20 yards some as close as 5 yards.

This year I made it till Nov 6th, made 2 bad shots, one was my fault the other was a limb.

The effective range thing has never been an issue, I just had to be smarter about how and where I sat up.

Its something I love and don't want to give up, but I have to find a better way.

Any advice, I shot instinctively and had been a 3 under, I have switched to split, it feels better.

Any drills or advice on picking a spot, that's my problem, I shot at the whole deer, I was told by Dean Torges to focus on an area I want to hit.
mittenm

Unread postby mittenm » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:56 pm

I shoot heavy arrows (750 -800 gr). I mostly shoot aluminum 2219, but also shoot wood shafts. If I use wood they are hexshafts footed with Diamond wood (Whispering Winds). I have a long draw, so to get a 32 inch NTB finished arrow I needed them footed. I shoot instinctive style, split finger with a tab. My bows are all recurves in 64" range, at draw weight from 61# to 75#. I prefer my bows in the 63-64# range.

I try hard to locate my target prior to the draw. I guess you would call it picking your spot. Some folks start to draw and then some time during the draw or even after they have found their ancor do they locate "ther spot". I cant do that. For larger game like elk or moose I may shoot out to max 30 yards, but for whitetails its 20 or under for me.

I too struggle during the excitement of the hunt more so than on practice range. Aquireing the target and keep pulling through the shot is what I try to focus on. You may want to get a shooting video by Joel Turner to help you find a method.

To me it has to feel right, so I hope you find your fit. Mike
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:26 am

Welcome.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:04 am

:shock:

Awesome stories!
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 am

Liven up an old thread? I just listened to Mike on a podcast with South Cox. Talking about an amazing moose hunt. I searched for a picture and bam I’m directed back to the beast. It’s great to hear such an amazing story from an excellent hunter and know they are on the beast.

If you haven’t heard the podcast it’s a good listen he sounds like the worlds most modest guy. Gongrats on an amazing bull!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Put a link up for the rest of us if you have it handy. Mike is definitely a real hunter that we can all learn from.

Someone posted his new dvd when it came out earlier this year. Of course I bought it and recommend it.

https://www.herdbullproductions.com/shop
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
clearwateralaska
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/clearwateralas ... s/?fref=ts

Unread postby clearwateralaska » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Welcome, Mike and thanks for sharing awesome moose hunt pictures!

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”