Hunting Gear Equipment

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MikeHunter
Facebook: -

Hunting Gear Equipment

Unread postby MikeHunter » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 pm

For "wise men" who consider that bear attack sprays and other similar means (meaning they are specialized from bears, and are not sold for self-defense from perverts, maniacs and dogs) are complete garbage, a study by biologists from Brigham Young University. It led to a paradoxical conclusion: in order to fight off a bear, you should not use a gun, but an aerosol spray.
The study analyzed the statistics of attacks on bears per person in the state of Alaska (approximately 150 thousand bears live there). As it turned out, the best bear spray allowed the beast to be driven off in 92% of cases, regardless of the mood of the bear (in some cases, it simply tried to profit from stocks of people, and sometimes showed obvious aggression). Out of 175 people who used spray against a bear, only three were slightly injured. The main problem of this tool protection is its extremely low efficiency in windy weather.
In the same time, firearms were able to stop the bear only in 67% of cases. This is explained by the fact that bears usually attack suddenly and cover the distance to a person in a few seconds, during which it is difficult to perform the necessary actions, for example, to pull the trigger and point the gun at the target.

Wetfoot
500 Club

Re: Hunting Gear Equipment

Unread postby Wetfoot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:05 am

I'd bet the pepper spray folks funded that 'study'. I go to Alaska nearly every year and rarely see anyone with pepper spray holsters. Sidearms are the norm and when in very remote locations I see a pretty fair number of AR's. Besides, any responsible firearm owner is proficient with said weapon. I can't imagine alot of people practicing with pepper spray. :lol: Personally, I feel better when traveling with someone who talks loudly and is packing some heat. I've heard you can tell bear scat cause it has bells in it and smells like pepper! :P
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 am

just like anything gun bow or pepper spray if you dont practice its not worth anything. no matter what you choose make sure you can use it in the heat of the moment. in NJ we cant carry guns so we are stuck with spray so if you need too go that rout buy the stuff with a practice can and get the big can. another thing is effective range if your using spray you need too be stupid close. if you choose a gun take one you can shoot personally if i could carry id use my walther ppq in 9mm for simple reason i can fill a 6 inch plate at 20 yards as fast as i can pull the trigger, and that gun holds 16 rounds. proficiency is the most important thing. another weapon i think would work great for a bear attack would be a good old 12 gauge pump action shotgun full of 00 buck. 99% of people can learn too shoot a shotgun in a afternoon.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 am

ghoasthunter wrote:just like anything gun bow or pepper spray if you dont practice its not worth anything. no matter what you choose make sure you can use it in the heat of the moment. in NJ we cant carry guns so we are stuck with spray so if you need too go that rout buy the stuff with a practice can and get the big can. another thing is effective range if your using spray you need too be stupid close. if you choose a gun take one you can shoot personally if i could carry id use my walther ppq in 9mm for simple reason i can fill a 6 inch plate at 20 yards as fast as i can pull the trigger, and that gun holds 16 rounds. proficiency is the most important thing. another weapon i think would work great for a bear attack would be a good old 12 gauge pump action shotgun full of 00 buck. 99% of people can learn too shoot a shotgun in a afternoon.

At close range does it matter what load you use?
I've seen light bird shot go through some thick skull. How wide is your spread at 10 feet
If anyone is curious look at some study's on how quick even a human can get someone when surprised or even not. It my not make you feel as secure
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:03 am

swampyak wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:just like anything gun bow or pepper spray if you dont practice its not worth anything. no matter what you choose make sure you can use it in the heat of the moment. in NJ we cant carry guns so we are stuck with spray so if you need too go that rout buy the stuff with a practice can and get the big can. another thing is effective range if your using spray you need too be stupid close. if you choose a gun take one you can shoot personally if i could carry id use my walther ppq in 9mm for simple reason i can fill a 6 inch plate at 20 yards as fast as i can pull the trigger, and that gun holds 16 rounds. proficiency is the most important thing. another weapon i think would work great for a bear attack would be a good old 12 gauge pump action shotgun full of 00 buck. 99% of people can learn too shoot a shotgun in a afternoon.

At close range does it matter what load you use?
I've seen light bird shot go through some thick skull. How wide is your spread at 10 feet
If anyone is curious look at some study's on how quick even a human can get someone when surprised or even not. It my not make you feel as secure

this is why repetitive practice is done with military and law enforcement. you need too be dialed with your equipment if you really want it too save your life. you need too be able too move and shoot clear malfunctions and safely operate your weapon while injured, fighting or evading. hear are some simple drills too practice for a hand gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwB6jg0fHbk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIJejiWnqn4
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”