What do you think of this tactic??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

What do you think of this tactic??

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:46 am

Someone posted this tactic on another website, and Im not sure how I feel about it..I would think that 99% of the times, the buck would relocate to another bed, but maybe Im wrong.. what do you guys think?

I had a buck patterned extremely well. I had his food sources, his scrapes, his rubs, his direction of travel, his bedding area and his timing was like yours. 100% nocturnal. I had hunted all of the travel coridors hard and even the in/out routes on his bedding area when I felt like I could get the wind right but I never went in the bedding area after the initial scouting rounds much earlier.

Now it was gun season and I had no luck seeing this buck in the daylight. I started laying out my case with the most knowledgeable big-buck-killer I knew and here is what he said.

1. Pick your day when you know you want to kill him.
2. Stink yourself up to the best of your ability. Wear your gym clothes, tennis shoes, whatever it takes. Put in a dip, spit on the ground, wear dirty socks on your hands, and walk right smack dab into the middle of the bedding area when you know he will be there. Find the beds and hang your stand where you can shoot into it. Feel free to take a leak while your there and then walk right back out on the exact same trail.
3. Let him have the place back that night and the next day.
4. Go in there the following night, walking the exact same trail when you know he'll be gone. Use your normal scent control practices. (for my case this was not long after midnight)
5. At daylight, kill him in his bed.

That is exactly what I did.

Now, I know exactly how crazy this sounds and that is what I thought when he was telling me this. But I also knew how many big deer he had killed in highly pressured public hunting grounds and I knew he wouldn't lie to me. His reasoning was that you could get away with this because it would be like we had come home to our apartment and it had been ransacked, we'd check the place out, find nothing missing, noone was hurt, we'd do the research (walk the trail of scent from one end to the other), and then return to our normal pattern that had kept us safe all of our lives. We might be skittish but we wouldn't sell the apartment over one break in and we felt like we had the theive's info now.

By stinking it up and leaving a trail, we basically leave the door unlocked for the next violation. The buck circled most of the bedding area that night and even got down wind of me but never spooked. He came right in and went to bed just before daylight.

Call me crazy but the 10 pt main frame with a kicker off the base is still on the wall here.

The point is to make it obvious that you were there and posed no real threat (like other hunters that he has become accustomed to).

By stinking it up, you effectively are placing your cover scent/trail for your real hunt.

Think of it like this, after your apartment was burglarized, you probably didn't get everything cleaned up in one day. So you are ready for things not to be normal when you return home from work for a day or two. You are going to look around to make sure something else hasn't happened but the clutter covers up small changes (you, now with scent control).

Word of caution, your scouting needs to be complete and accurate. You've got to get him the first time. I think that a failed attempt would mean you are going to have to find him in a new area, probably next year.

As for finding the beds, big deer will often use the exact same bed. If you can find beds in there, you should be able to tell which one is a big buck just by the size as compared to others. It seems like there is often a rub very close by that will most of the time show you his entrance/exit routes to establish direction of travel.

GRFox
500 Club

Re: What do you think of this tactic??

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:03 am

Sounds completely and totally insane to me.....but then again I'm no expert. I think different bucks with different personalities would react totally different to that scenario. I understand what the concept was, but if it did work, I think he was lucky.....
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:11 am

Basically he pulled off a bump and dump... A little scent. A lotta scent. There is almost no differance to the buck who smells someone has been there either way.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:35 am

dan wrote:Basically he pulled off a bump and dump... A little scent. A lotta scent. There is almost no differance to the buck who smells someone has been there either way.

That is what I got from the tactic too, super aggressive but hey it worked. I would probably prefer Andreas soft bump with a virgin sit to this stinking it up and giving the deer a day to calm down stuff. Like you say Dan, "bump them and never see them again" might be strong possibility here.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:17 am

headgear wrote:
dan wrote:Basically he pulled off a bump and dump... A little scent. A lotta scent. There is almost no differance to the buck who smells someone has been there either way.

That is what I got from the tactic too, super aggressive but hey it worked. I would probably prefer Andreas soft bump with a virgin sit to this stinking it up and giving the deer a day to calm down stuff. Like you say Dan, "bump them and never see them again" might be strong possibility here.

Exactly my thoughts Headgear... If he new what he was doing it would work better. Obviously it worked in this case, but following the plan Andrae laid out with the timeing and soft bump would be much better...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:20 am

BUMP AND DUMP...

Andrea sets his standards pretty high... There is usually only one buck any given property he hunts. Knowing the exact bedding spot is critical in killing the buck.
Although bucks get pretty edgy about harassment they do have to put up with hikers, farm dogs, coyotes, and wolves in some areas and often get bumped out of there beds. They will put up with a certain extent of this type of harassment. Sometimes they will put up with one bump, sometimes several, sometimes 1st bump and there gone... I often tease Andrea about his "bump em and dump em" tactic and tell him in the public marsh we call it "Bump em and never ever ever see them again" but to be honest, it has sometimes worked here too.
There are ways to make it work better too... We have two definitions of a "bump". A hard bump is when you aggressively push a buck from his bed with the intent of him relocating to a new spot. A soft bump is where you move him, but try not to scare the crap out of him.
To soft bump a deer, a person does not want to walk directly towards the animal. Angles make it appear to the animal that your just passing by. Also, when the deer stands or trots off don't stop walking make it appear as though you could care less what the deer does. On andreas property they are used to atv's occasionally crossing the property so he will sometimes cruise past a buck bedding area with the ATC and see what gets up...
Timing is important too... Really, its probably thee most important thing in bump and dump hunting... Bucks should be bumped about an hour before dark, or just before they normally get to there feet... The reason for this is because a deer that is bumped just before he would normally get up is more likely to just go about his normal night time routine after settling back down. Then at the end of the night he just goes back to the same old bed out of habit... When bumped early in the day they will head to another bedding area, then there is a good chance they will bed in the new spot rather than the spot you bumped them from.
It should also be said that Andrea usually knows these bedding areas pretty well, it is not a good idea to get scent near the bed or near the entrance rought you suspect the buck will use. Its important for the buck to believe the bump just wandered through. If he hints human scent on his way to the bed, he will likely turn tail...
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:35 am

I kinda compared it to the bump and dump as well, but he waits a day before he hunts it..what do you think about that?

Does Andrae (or any of you other bump and dumpers) hang your stand and then not come back for a day or two?
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:56 am

by then 1-2 days later the deer has been back into his 'bedroom sanctuary' and knows an intruder has been there the whole element of surprise is gone (unlike the andrae bump / dump)

I can't see a mature buck coming back to bed in that area again soon

cornfedkiller wrote:I kinda compared it to the bump and dump as well, but he waits a day before he hunts it..what do you think about that?

Does Andrae (or any of you other bump and dumpers) hang your stand and then not come back for a day or two?
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:30 am

I can see the buck coming back... I have bumped the same buck 3 days in a row. Sometimes you wonder what you have to do to kick a buck out. But others will dissapear on the 1st bump.
I think Andraes tactic is about the best way of going about it. This guy just seems to be doing it wrong but getting lucky cause the buck he was after was really thinking that he was safe there... The way he is doing it would fail more often then succeed in my opinion.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:50 am

The last part of the technique he said go in when you know he's not there, and kill him in his bed. The guy was gun hunting and went in at midnight....

Why not skip the smelling and the pissing stuff, and just do that?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:03 am

Spysar wrote:Why not skip the smelling and the pissing stuff, and just do that?

I was wondering the same thing??

I think he goes in there to get it all stinked up first so it "distracts" the deer and he wont think you are there a couple days later..
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:12 am

Interesting in that he purposely smelled up the place, so on the next sit, the buck would scent him and believe he was smelling the scent from the day before. It worked and in theory it should, but I have to believe a deer can tell the difference between a day old scent and a guy sitting there. While Dan and others have witnessed a buck using several different beds, I have to believe that in areas I hunt that isn't the norm. The more places you have to hide, the more likely you are to be found. If a bed is working for you, no reason to abandon it.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:58 pm

I cant believe a good majority of mature bucks would tolerate that kind of intrusion and still come back, but each buck is different. But like Dan and othrs have said I think that tactic would fail 99% of the time. The only senario I could see it working out well would be if the buck had no other bedding for a long way away, and even then I don't think it would work that well, he'd just relocate.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”