Does This Happen to You?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

G-Patt
500 Club

Does This Happen to You?

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:21 am

You've identified a likely pinch point while scouting online and make plans to hunt that area. You actually go to that area and confirm for yourself, "Yeah, this is a good pinch point. I should set up here." But while walking in, you see that you lightly bumped a couple deer (no blowing, just a lazy bump) about 60 yards away. So instead of you setting up at the pinch point, you go to the area where you bumped the deer thinking they will likely circle back in the next 2 hours because the acorns in this area are thick (even for this time of year) and there's obvious pawing signs. While set up on a trial from bedding to this acorn location, you see what seems like a herd of deer go by your pinch point that is in view of your current set up. Like Tex Grebner says, "It's a high-stakes game of wack-a-mole."

On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Jdw
500 Club

Re: Does This Happen to You?

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:37 am

Several years ago I set up and watched multiple deer cross 75 yds away.
After the 2nd group of deer went by I moved to that location. As soon as I got settled in a buck went under the tree I just moved from. No more action at the new tree either. :lol:
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:53 am

Yup
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:10 am

Think it depends on what caliber buck it is, the pressure applied and time of year. I hunt a lot of funnels during the rut, but most of em I'm not setting up for the buck to come through, I'm expecting him to be hunting them as well. I've had spurts of luck kicking a buck out of his bedding thicket just from noise and having him come back scent checking it from the edge.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:28 am

Jdw wrote:Several years ago I set up and watched multiple deer cross 75 yds away.
After the 2nd group of deer went by I moved to that location. As soon as I got settled in a buck went under the tree I just moved from. No more action at the new tree either. :lol:

I did this one day and it cost me probably the biggest buck I've ever seen while hunting. After watching deer move past at around 70 yards all day I decided to move for the evening to hopefully catch a buck cruising through the same spot. At 4:30 a monster eight walks right past my previous tree and stands there until dark catching the falling thermals. Got a great look at him through the bino at many angles as he stood 20 yards from my tree :roll: :doh:
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 am

Making the move has worked out for me far more often than not moving.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 am

A little different but this season I was hunting the high side of a choke point one afternoon and got up to move to the low side when the thermals kicked in. Took two steps and saw 3 does staring at me at 50 yds. they busted out of there, I moved as planned and saw nothing the rest of the night.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Last season I was hunting a spot at the end of season and watched a shooter travel through the area about 80 yards. This was a Sunday evening hunt. The next weekend (being a weekend hunter you know) I climbed a tree on the line the buck and does walked. Wouldn’t you know it they walked 10 yards from the tree I sat the previous weekend! I moved again and it was the right move but he had shed his antlers!

They logged the area he was bedding in and I think he relocated as I never saw him this season or even in the summer.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 pm

I had a similar situation this last October. I crept up on an oak island in a marsh. This is an overlooked spot and I hit it maybe once a year. I bumped out a bunch of deer on the way in. I was totally downwind though so they must have heard me. I can see white flags bouncing around the island. Not a big deal, maybe they will come back later... Anyways, I wanted to set up on the far side of the island which was a mistake because a large racked mature buck came in before I could get my stand off my back to begin setting up. He was ripping up every sapling and was coming toward me. Not sure if he thought I was another buck?? I had an arrow nocked and ready. Of course, my stupid mistake was I went in to far on the island and he got right down wind of me within 20 yards and he turned around and was off that island as fast as I ever seen a deer move. I sat the rest of the day on that island hoping he would return and didn't see, or even hear another deer that day. Im confident I would have had that buck if I stayed on the downwind edge of the island.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:51 pm

boy if i had a time machine! i dont let it bother me too much for one if i jump the deer at least i knew i was right. everything we do is a calculated risk you only have too not screw up one time and your tagged. on a good note i killed two of three deer for the freezer this year buy making a move one i glassed up and shot after a 2 hour stalk the other i shot at 5 yards while moving over too a ledge after i bumped 5 does off a point after anticipating a buck might cruse threw wind checking does. those days i never took my stand off my back.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I had a similar situation this last October. I crept up on an oak island in a marsh. This is an overlooked spot and I hit it maybe once a year. I bumped out a bunch of deer on the way in. I was totally downwind though so they must have heard me. I can see white flags bouncing around the island. Not a big deal, maybe they will come back later... Anyways, I wanted to set up on the far side of the island which was a mistake because a large racked mature buck came in before I could get my stand off my back to begin setting up. He was ripping up every sapling and was coming toward me. Not sure if he thought I was another buck?? I had an arrow nocked and ready. Of course, my stupid mistake was I went in to far on the island and he got right down wind of me within 20 yards and he turned around and was off that island as fast as I ever seen a deer move. I sat the rest of the day on that island hoping he would return and didn't see, or even hear another deer that day. Im confident I would have had that buck if I stayed on the downwind edge of the island.

I’m starting to believe there are 3 levels to deer hunting (deer, not mature bucks):
1) Those who don’t get close enough to deer to know they got busted by scent.
2) Those who get close enough but don’t always hunt the right winds and they see how they got busted.
3) Those who can think ahead well enough and use the wind to their advantage.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
bucksnbows

Unread postby bucksnbows » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 pm

I believe the stories are further proof that hunting a mature buck isn't the same as hunting deer :think:
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:13 am

It happens both ways, a few times each season. Sometimes I don't move when I should, sometimes I do move when I should stay. Even when I make the right call, it doesn't work out more often than it does work out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”