Mobile hunting Saddle vs. Stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbowers

Re: Mobile hunting Saddle vs. Stand

Unread postby tbowers » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:23 am

Ok so here goes. Your gonna set up in a tree south of the trail on the SE side of the tree. You can watch to the left of the tree to see that deer coming from the West. Once you see a target animal your going to wait till that deer is NW with the tree between you and it. You'll then turn your whole body counter clock wise so your back is to the tree. This takes a ton of faith in your hook up lol and a tether that slides on your bridge cause that tether caribener is gonna end up right where your bridge meets your saddle connection on the right... as the deer continues to move east it's then facing away at 45 degrees allowing you to draw and take a quartering away shot. I've done this over a dozen times .... Works like a charm.[/quote]

Sounds good in theory- i run a scooter platform and my boots are the same size as it. Trying to shuffle my way 270 degrees is next to impossible. Likely would be easier on a larger predator platform . Regardless that is a lot of movement even with a tree in-between you and the critter, and given that i almost always try to get in a smaller diameter tree it doesnt offer all that much cover to begin with.

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:27 am

So platform guys...... does this hinder the 360 shooting that others have by using a ring of steps? Seeing as how the platform is on one side?
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:52 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:So platform guys...... does this hinder the 360 shooting that others have by using a ring of steps? Seeing as how the platform is on one side?

I position my platform to the side of the top step on my on my Beast stick. Having them at the same level makes it very easy to shoot 360 degrees.

mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:04 am

checkerfred wrote:
mag1 wrote:You can take a pullover on/off in the saddle. I was in the middle of changing out of some cold weather gear for my walk out, when I should have been paying attention, and had a doe come by while I had my sweater/shirt 1/2 off. I ended up shooting under her, but yes, you can change gear out in a saddle.

I think you’re responding to PreBan Man’s point on cold weather clothes? I found you can add top layers but bottoms are about impossible to change from a saddle. I use the sit/drag though but still, I can’t see it being easier from a brand name saddle

I normally don't ever change my lower half. Even on a long hike in, I will normally wear what I figure I will need. On the top, I will wear in just a t-shirt, sometimes a long sleeve shirt over that, and change when I get my sticks hung due to sweating to much. This is even the case if it is -0*.

I don't think changing or adding layers below the waist will work well in a saddle.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:07 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:So platform guys...... does this hinder the 360 shooting that others have by using a ring of steps? Seeing as how the platform is on one side?

G2 and a couple of the others have some pretty good youtube video's on how they do all of this. I think to get used to it, you need to do some practicing. I have not yet done much of that. I just got my stuff and went hunting. :mrgreen:
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:21 am

I have hunted out of the saddle (aerohunter kestrel), 4 cut down hawk heliums and rachet strap ring of steps for 2 years and I don't ever see myself going back to a hang on. I have lower back issues and a hang on was torture for any sit over an hour. I do get some hip pinch at times with the saddle but it's bearable. I hunt 99% public and the mobility of the saddle is crucial. I'm 100% mobile regardless of public or private and my current setup is the best I've found.

Hang ons are great but they just aren't for me.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:23 am

mag1 wrote:

G2 and a couple of the others have some pretty good youtube video's on how they do all of this. I think to get used to it, you need to do some practicing. I have not yet done much of that. I just got my stuff and went hunting. :mrgreen:

Here you go.

https://youtu.be/NE9QMEuB2y0
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:36 am

I'm still a newb when it comes to saddle hunting, but on my first sit with a saddle I used a Sit-drag/ RC combo with two cranford rope steps as my platform and it was super comfortable. The first day I used it I shot a doe wth my rifle and I used the tree as a rest. It was almost too easy.

I've tried standing on the tops of two LW sticks and it was very uncomfortable. Also, I made a sling for my LW sticks to carry them in that worked great. I'll likely have a Predator platform or ring of steps and Mantis saddle by next fall :D
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:11 am

tbowers wrote:Ok so here goes. Your gonna set up in a tree south of the trail on the SE side of the tree. You can watch to the left of the tree to see that deer coming from the West. Once you see a target animal your going to wait till that deer is NW with the tree between you and it. You'll then turn your whole body counter clock wise so your back is to the tree. This takes a ton of faith in your hook up lol and a tether that slides on your bridge cause that tether caribener is gonna end up right where your bridge meets your saddle connection on the right... as the deer continues to move east it's then facing away at 45 degrees allowing you to draw and take a quartering away shot. I've done this over a dozen times .... Works like a charm.

Sounds good in theory- i run a scooter platform and my boots are the same size as it. Trying to shuffle my way 270 degrees is next to impossible. Likely would be easier on a larger predator platform . Regardless that is a lot of movement even with a tree in-between you and the critter, and given that i almost always try to get in a smaller diameter tree it doesnt offer all that much cover to begin with.[/quote]

I've done it a ton of times. Either way if you were in a lock on you'd have to stand and turn also. I'm very comfortable swinging around the tree though lol. It's not for everyone no doubt. It's all in your comfort level. I've always used a ring of steps around the tree.
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:28 am

I'm a 50/50 sit lean hunter. I do switch footing durng my sits and only have minor foot discomfort. I start with both feet on the helium's top step (leaning). When I need to switch it up I either slip into a sitting position (knees by on the tree/no pads) or sometimes fully straddle the tree. When I do that I usually move my feet to the cranford steps (kind of like motorcycle foot pegs). Sometimes I put one foot on the cranford and the other on the helium (kind of length wise some the steps run down the middle of my foot (toe to heel)

EllieTheChubb wrote:
fr0sty wrote:I use the top of my hawk helium and two or three of the cranford ezy climb t steps. I have no desire to add a platform to my setup.

You don't get foot fatigue?
Do you primarily sit or stand?
How far apart do you put the t steps? Do they circle the tree?
corndawg765

Unread postby corndawg765 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:54 am

Never been up in a saddle, seems like a very good option. Gonna try to get one and learn the process by opener next year.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:19 am

corndawg765 wrote:Never been up in a saddle, seems like a very good option. Gonna try to get one and learn the process by opener next year.

I think I'm right there with ya
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:24 am

Nope. Not at all. I can actually shoot 360 without walking around the tree. I had about three seconds to get drawn on my Ohio buck and killed him at my 2 o clock without walking around the tree. Everyone calls that the "weak side" shot but with the platform its super easy.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:20 am

Truth From The Stand wrote:I started saddle hunting this year. I shot out of it 2 or 3 times before hunting out of it and killed from it in early Oct. I didn't think the learning curve was that steep..few climbs and you're good to go. I prefer to hunt out of my saddle to a stand now,. Only used my LW a handful of times this year. a few hunts before my saddle came and a pre hung set during the rut.

There are a pile of advantages, most mentioned in this thread. I did a podcast all about saddle hunting. Kinda a saddle hunting 101. You may find some good info in it.

Here's the link: http://truthfromthestand.com/deer-hunti ... g-godfrey/

Also be sure to check out saddlehunter.com ...great resource and some DIY methods to consider as well. Hope this info helps!

Just listend to your latest saddle podcasts with Greg from tethrd and Taylor Chamberlin, seems like you're 100% now. Great podcasts!

I was originally planning to do a sit drag DIY saddle just because of the $150 price difference over the mantis but you have me giving it a second thought.

For the folks out there who started out with a sit drag and upgraded to the mantis what are your thoughts?
Well worth the price tag?
gillyfi

Unread postby gillyfi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 am

How do climb a tree with branches? Being as you are connected from the bottom to the top with the saddle.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”