Get Out... Buck and Bear

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks. That was pretty much the answer I expected.

Too bad we can't bone it out and leave the carcass like you can in some other states. It's amazing how fast that stuff disapears. Likely CWD has changed that thinking here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:43 pm

I sent a follow-up asking if that would apply to private land as well. We have a swamp that the spine and rib cage would just be heading right back to, only closer to the cabin. I hate to say it, but in that case, if I dropped one on our back corner, I'd be apt to just risk it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:49 pm

If they changed that rule there just might be less carcasses dumped off in public hunting land parking lots.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:53 pm

Private land you can leave it.

Good evening Dave!

If you were on private land, you would be able to leave those parts in the field if it was your own land or have permission from the land owner. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Thank you,
Summer W.

We are committed to service excellence.
Visit our survey at DNR customer survey to evaluate how I did.

Bureau of Customer and Outreach Services
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Phone: 1-888-936-7463
Fax: 608-261-4380
CSWeb@wisconsin.gov
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Good video! One question. Did you get the inside loins. They're the best pieces. Basically did my last 2 elk that way. I also get the rib meat.

On the Wisconsin question about being able to quarter after phone registering. If it is (legal) the main thing that gave everyone problems in Montana was proving sex. Mainly on antlerless animals. We needed to leave the udder attached to one of the quarters if we didn't bring out the head.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Kraftd I bumped the original thread if you want to add this info.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Wow lots of new info sense I started typing my other comment. It really makes no sense. The coyotes, bears, bobcats and wolves gotta eat too.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:03 pm

dan wrote:Sled...

X2, I think a nice sled can work best

also used a game cart, a wheelbarrow, and a stretcher before

I have seen roll up pack in sleds that seem pretty nice, but have never tried them.

Also if you are hunting together with someone you can tether the deers legs to a log and carry it out.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:20 pm

mt008 wrote:
dan wrote:Sled...

X2, I think a nice sled can work best

also used a game cart, a wheelbarrow, and a stretcher before

I have seen roll up pack in sleds that seem pretty nice, but have never tried them.

Also if you are hunting together with someone [glow=red]you can tether the deers legs to a log and carry it out[/glow].

My dad killed a deer in a grove surrounded by standing corn years ago. We cut a suitable limb, tethered its legs to it, and carried it out on our shoulders. It did want to sway back and forth, but it worked pretty well.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:25 pm

I have a roll up sled from Cabelas called the deer sleigher. it works great.
Barkstone
Facebook: Paul Ellsworth

Unread postby Barkstone » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:15 am

This is an old thread I hope it's okay to add to it

Hunting in very steep Hill country public land in Ohio, I used a small jet sled to carry everything to my stand.

After harvesting a small 2 1/2 year old buck I used my stand (a climber as high as I could get it and still climb down leaving it in the tree) to hook up a small hoist I had bought with me.

I skinned the deer and staked the hide out over the leaves to place the meat on to keep them clean as I deboned it. Each peice of boned out meat then got placed in 1 gallon ziplock bags (it generally takes about 10).

Afterwards I was able to get everything packed up in that sled and drug out to my truck in one trip, where a cooler with ice was waiting.

This took me about an hour to complete in the feild before the long drag back.

This worked it great for me because this was the last day of my hunt on public land in Ohio and once back to the truck with the already boned out meat in the cooler I was completely packed and ready for the drive back home to Missouri.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:15 am

Barkstone wrote:This is an old thread I hope it's okay to add to it

Hunting in very steep Hill country public land in Ohio, I used a small jet sled to carry everything to my stand.

After harvesting a small 2 1/2 year old buck I used my stand (a climber as high as I could get it and still climb down leaving it in the tree) to hook up a small hoist I had bought with me.

I skinned the deer and staked the hide out over the leaves to place the meat on to keep them clean as I deboned it. Each peice of boned out meat then got placed in 1 gallon ziplock bags (it generally takes about 10).

Afterwards I was able to get everything packed up in that sled and drug out to my truck in one trip, where a cooler with ice was waiting.

This worked it great for me because this was the last day of my hunt on public land in Ohio and once back to the truck with the already boned out meat in the cooler I was completely packed and ready for the drive back home to Missouri.

Great planning and effort !! 8-)
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:53 am

Barkstone wrote:This is an old thread I hope it's okay to add to it

2 gallon ziplocs work a lot better
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:16 am

Frame pack with garbage bags. Never understood why I'd pull out my deer w a cart to just debone it at camp. Why not debone it at kill spot. Much easier.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:37 am

bowkill00 wrote:Frame pack with garbage bags. Never understood why I'd pull out my deer w a cart to just debone it at camp. Why not debone it at kill spot. Much easier.

Just a suggestion, but garbage bags are made for garbage not raw meat. I used to use them also, but I thought it affected the taste of my meat once so I quit using them. I now only use food grade storage bags like ziploc-which you can get in 2 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 3 gallon or bigger. 3 or 4 two gallon ziplocs will pack out a deboned deer-you may need five or more for a buck over 200 lbs.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”