Kudzu

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nkmatt_KY

Kudzu

Unread postby nkmatt_KY » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:56 am

What is everyone's experience with Kudzu? I have just recently heard that deer love to eat Kudzu which I didn't realize when I found rubs exiting and beds in a Kudzu patch on a public piece. Upon realizing this I was wanting to hunt it right away but wasn't sure if they would still be feeding on this at this time of the year. I wanted to spark a conversation on this.

crossfitcarpenter

Re: Kudzu

Unread postby crossfitcarpenter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 am

What is Kudzu? It may be known b y other regional names.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:09 am

I don't have any relevant experience, other than I've read it is very high in protein content. It's extremely thick so that combination makes sense to me.

- thick cover and high protein food = buck heaven ...in my opinion.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:37 am

Dpierce72 wrote:I don't have any relevant experience, other than I've read it is very high in protein content. It's extremely thick so that combination makes sense to me.

- thick cover and high protein food = buck heaven ...in my opinion.

Super invasive plant, but the deer LOVE IT!!
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:40 am

During the summer, I see deer standing in and feeding on kudzu almost daily on the way to work.
nkmatt_KY

Unread postby nkmatt_KY » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:20 am

crossfitcarpenter wrote:What is Kudzu? It may be known b y other regional names.

Kudzu is a extremely invasive plant that grows in southeast. It is a viney plant that climbs everything. I never gave it much thought until recently when I was scouting a bedding area and followed rubs into this stuff, nut the light bulb clicked today when realizing they may feed on it as well. The vines had climbed trees and bushes forming canopies that had beds under them. I actually hunted the spot with my wind blowing into that area (not knowing they were bedded there) expecting the deer to come from a different bedding area.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:40 pm

I remember a old video VHS tape with Bill Jordan hunting a kudzu foodplot in georgia back in the day. Deer pounded it! Bet they wish they didnt plant that stuff now! :doh: Deer will eat it and sometimes preffered, espeacially in mountain areas with less green vegetation from old articles ive read.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:29 pm

There is some Kudzu around here, in MO. I remember, on one of my old haunts, a kudzu covered, South facing slope where deer loved to bed ever winter. That stuff is as bad an invasive in the SE, as bush Honeysuckle is around here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”