google earth topographic overlay

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

futuredoc

google earth topographic overlay

Unread postby futuredoc » Sun May 29, 2011 6:49 am

I believe it was someone on this forum that had some instructions as to how to get a topographic overlay on google earth. I can't remember how to do this, but it allowed topographic overlays through terra server I think. Anybody know how?

thanks,

Kendall

MechDoc

Re: google earth topographic overlay

Unread postby MechDoc » Sun May 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Select the area on the map you want the image to be overlayed on. Click the ADD button on top of screen next to tools and help buttons. Scroll down to Image Overlay and click it. Select the file that contains the image you want to overlay and then click open. Set the opacity of the image and you are done. I hope this helps.
[glow=#80FF00]Living The Bow Hunting High Life One Tree at a time!![/glow]
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun May 29, 2011 5:20 pm

There is another way that I think your proably talking about.I saved it on my computer somewhere.I will try and dig it up for u. I don't know if you have ever tried acme mapped.com but it is a much better took overlay system than google earth.they just don't have some of the other widgets that google is is good for.
futuredoc

Unread postby futuredoc » Mon May 30, 2011 4:52 am

The method I'm talking about somehow integrates, I believe terra server, topographic maps into google earth so that you get more than just one imaged overlayed. You can actually pan through an area with the topo overlay. I do like acme mapper - but like you say, can't modify the same way you can google earth. Also, whay can't you modify the google earth iphone app? annoying.
MechDoc

Unread postby MechDoc » Mon May 30, 2011 7:16 am

Topo overlay for google earth
Sorry futuredoc I miss understood you! Here is an easy way to get topo maps on google earth:

1: 5th button, "add image overlay"

2: Call it "show topo overlay" or something like that

3: select the "refresh" tab, and click the button "WMS Parameters"

4: select the WMS server "http://terraservice.net/ogccapabilities.ashx"

5: select the line in the box on the left side "[O] USGS Raster graphics (topo maps)(style=black grid lines on geographic coordinates)"

6: click the add button between the windows to add it to the overlay.

7: Click ok

8: on the "refresh" tab, have the view refresh after the camera stops, and I find 4 seconds a good time to use.

9: click ok to save the overlay

10: now, in your "places" windowpane, there wil be an entry for "show topo overlay". check or uncheck the box to turn on and off. you can also use the slider at the bottom of the "places" windowpane to adjust the transparency of the overlay.
[glow=#80FF00]Living The Bow Hunting High Life One Tree at a time!![/glow]
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 pm

There's a site called Mytopo.com who sells what they call hybrid topos which are pretty good. I have ordered a couple but usually just do a print screen and paste it in wordpad to print it out myself for free.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:32 am

GRUD wrote:There's a site called Mytopo.com who sells what they call hybrid topos which are pretty good. I have ordered a couple but usually just do a print screen and paste it in wordpad to print it out myself for free.

I was just going to post this, its a great site. They of course want to you to buy a map but if you go through their whole process and then click on the preview map you can look at a nice large aerial photo with a topo overlay.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”