My 8 acres deer Mecca

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

My 8 acres deer Mecca

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 am

https://youtu.be/pSA0MoPwWxk

Here is a little video I took of my 8 acres. Might be boring.. but I was home alone yesterday and super anxious for our Monday opener to get here.

A couple out in the yard this morning.

Edcyclopedia

Re: My 8 acres deer Mecca

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:20 am

Love it!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:51 am

That's cool man! That's something that me and my wife are hoping to get here within the next year or two, I'd love to get around 10 acres myself. But I'm looking for something that has just enough woods and CRP to have a little hunting area of my own. Will still concentrate mostly on public land, but like you said it'd be nice to have a place to just stop by after work if you're running low on time, or you don't feel like trudging out into the marshes.
Right now if we wanted to, we could probably hold hands with the neighbors and touch house to house across the driveways.... :?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:01 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:That's cool man! That's something that me and my wife are hoping to get here within the next year or two, I'd love to get around 10 acres myself. But I'm looking for something that has just enough woods and CRP to have a little hunting area of my own. Will still concentrate mostly on public land, but like you said it'd be nice to have a place to just stop by after work if you're running low on time, or you don't feel like trudging out into the marshes.
Right now if we wanted to, we could probably hold hands with the neighbors and touch house to house across the driveways.... :?

When my wife n I bought the house I really looked hard for something with property. I wanted at least 20 acres. We had a difficult time. She didn't want the kids to switch schools. I didn't want to increase my drive time to work... We kinda met in the middle and ended up here. I'm 5 minutes from 3000 acres of public land. 5 minutes from my favorite fishing hole. Everything worked out well. I still wish I had more land...lol
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:09 am

Cool vid OR, I have a similar setup but only 5 acres but I have a little bedding area, apple trees and a little food plot. Kids are all over the place so the deer pretty much bed on the private around me. Trying to buy another lot next to me but no luck yet. I have manage to take one nice buck behind my house, it just so happens to be the only good buck that showed up during shooting hours in the 9 years that I have lived here.
Trout1

Unread postby Trout1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:40 am

Awesome!! Love the features of your land.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:28 am

Nice piece of property OR. Looks like good habitat
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:14 am

Nice! Has anyone ever hit u up for permission to hunt?
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:22 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Nice! Has anyone ever hit u up for permission to hunt?

No, i have never had anyone ask. When I moved in someone was trespassing from a neighboring property that was vacant. I removed the stand and haven't had an issue since. The neighbors to the north had a stand up and had cut a shooting lane into my property. That is gone now too.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:55 am

OR you ever try any mock scrapes? I've had good luck with them in my yard, of course the bigger bucks only show at night but its still fun.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:25 am

headgear wrote:OR you ever try any mock scrapes? I've had good luck with them in my yard, of course the bigger bucks only show at night but its still fun.

I have not but I was actually thinking about it yesterday. That rub in the video showed up on that cedar after I cleaned the path out. I was thinking of putting one of the rope mock scrapes right by that rub.

I have had luck diverting deer when cutting trails through the property. It's so thick that they almost immediately start using the trails. I learned this after the boys n I made a little motor bike path around the perimeter. The first year I did that all the deer skated around me on the bike trail. The next year I trimmed a path from the road crossing to the north corner. It cut kitty corner across my property n brought the deer right in front of me. I took a nice fat mature doe early in the season.

Since then I've been more focused on killing bigger public land bucks so I haven't done much back behind the house in a couple years.

One other interesting thing is when I bought the property it was probably 50% Autumn olive. Its been choked out and is almost gone now. I do get alot of bedding. I found one really good buck bed on the south west corner.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”