Acorn Production vs. Elevation

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Re: Acorn Production vs. Elevation

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:50 am

I'll also add that the annual rainfall is often different on one side of the mountain than the other here. So the game might be different if you switch sides.

The northside has dramatic temp differences here feom the south due to the amount of shading. So that plays a role also.....and on thermals.

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 am

BigCedarJack wrote:I'll also add that the annual rainfall is often different on one side of the mountain than the other here. So the game might be different if you switch sides.

The northside has dramatic temp differences here feom the south due to the amount of shading. So that plays a role also.....and on thermals.

I’m pretty sure I read that they like north facing slopes.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:02 am

While I can't help on elevation changes (it varies about 100 feet in the area I hunt but still very steep) but this year is the most acorns I've seen in C. Illinois in 10 years. Scouting last weekend and they were everywhere. One 200 plus year old oak had them everywhere on the ground and the branches were weighed down tremendously. It's going to be a while until deer are back on Ag by me, thats for sure.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:52 am

Divergent wrote:
BigCedarJack wrote:I'll also add that the annual rainfall is often different on one side of the mountain than the other here. So the game might be different if you switch sides.

I am no botanist but I think you got that backwards. Oaks like the dry, sunny slopes. Some of the steeper shady North slopes have nothing but birch, cherry, maple etc. growing on them.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:39 am

elk yinzer wrote:
Divergent wrote:

I am no botanist but I think you got that backwards. Oaks like the dry, sunny slopes. Some of the steeper shady North slopes have nothing but birch, cherry, maple etc. growing on them.

I know I’ve seen them on south facing slopes, but I’m pretty sure I read it somewhere. I can think of a few off the top of my head. I’ll do a search real quick.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:43 am

Divergent wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:
Divergent wrote:

I know I’ve seen them on south facing slopes, but I’m pretty sure I read it somewhere. I can think of a few off the top of my head. I’ll do a search real quick.

White oak grows best on northern lower slopes and in coves, but is found in wet bottom lands and on any upland aspect ex- cept extremely dry, shallow-soil ridges. Al- titude is seldom a factor except in the northern parts of the range and in the higher Appalachians (Core 1966).
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Divergent wrote:
Divergent wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:
Divergent wrote:

White oak grows best on northern lower slopes and in coves, but is found in wet bottom lands and on any upland aspect ex- cept extremely dry, shallow-soil ridges. Al- titude is seldom a factor except in the northern parts of the range and in the higher Appalachians (Core 1966).

Most of the white oaks here are on northern aspects. They will grow on southern slopes but definitely more common on northern.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Here's a little gem I found in a Warren Womack post on another page.
"A lot times after I make a kill, on an Oak tree, I'll check the topo map to see what the elevation was where I made the kill. Once I see what it is I'll go through my records and check to see if I have killed somewhere else that has Oaks at the same elevation. If I have I'll go check those trees out. Sometimes, trees on the same elevation have the same acorn drop time." It seemed to fit well with the thread
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:54 pm

Scratchman wrote:Here's a little gem I found in a Warren Womack post on another page.
"A lot times after I make a kill, on an Oak tree, I'll check the topo map to see what the elevation was where I made the kill. Once I see what it is I'll go through my records and check to see if I have killed somewhere else that has Oaks at the same elevation. If I have I'll go check those trees out. Sometimes, trees on the same elevation have the same acorn drop time." It seemed to fit well with the thread

Thats good stuff
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:57 pm

Scratchman wrote:Here's a little gem I found in a Warren Womack post on another page.

I saw a post about it on the beast fb page...not sure if you posted it or not. Nonetheless, it was a good read.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Divergent wrote:

I saw a post about it on the beast fb page...not sure if you posted it or not. Nonetheless, it was a good read.

It showed up on a couple of pages. I figured it would be worth a read. It took me to a forum ive never been on. I cut and pasted to a google doc. Its a keeper.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:59 am

I didn't know who Warren Womack was, so I looked him up. Years of knowledge there!
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:03 am

I am finally finding some acorns now. Red oaks and chestnuts under 2000' elevation and on northern side of the mountains. Everything I had checked prior to yesterday had been on the southern sides.
peteinvermont

Unread postby peteinvermont » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:01 am

I'm getting to this thread late, but latitude is a somewhat obvious but important factor. At my latitude, if you're at 4000ft, you're above treeline, so there's obviously no acorns there. I don't think I've ever seen any acorns above 1800ft-2000ft here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”