Weather Forecast 9-20-18 (Hunt The Front)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

weatherdude

Weather Forecast 9-20-18 (Hunt The Front)

Unread postby weatherdude » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:15 am

https://huntthefrontwx.com/2018/09/20/weekly-forecast-9-19-18-fall-arrives/

The first forecast of the year is up on hunt the front! Cold fronts are inbound :dance: .

If you live in Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa, pay close attention to the weather this evening as their is potential for severe thunderstorms with damaging winds and a few tornadoes. If you live in these areas I would strongly advise not hunting this afternoon and evening.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Weather Forecast 9-20-18 (Hunt The Front)

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:41 am

Now that the second summer is over... Let the grind begin! Ill be out all the days w blue :twisted:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:13 am

I'm definitely looking forward to hunting in much cooler temps starting tomorrow. :dance:
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:33 am

Good luck. I probably won't see those temps till November.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:38 am

Weather looks perfect for where I'll be starting tomorrow night!
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:44 am

Yes I am excited for the relief in temps! Only thing is I have a stinkin wedding to go to on Saturday night! Why do people get married in the fall :lol:
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:14 am

weatherdude wrote:
If you live in Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa, pay close attention to the weather this evening as their is potential for severe thunderstorms with damaging winds and a few tornadoes. If you live in these areas I would strongly advise not hunting this afternoon and evening.

I'm seeing partly cloudy with 10-15 mph winds in SE WI. Should I be worried?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:23 am

Primetime41 wrote:
weatherdude wrote:

I'm seeing partly cloudy with 10-15 mph winds in SE WI. Should I be worried?

Probably not, its not like a severe storm is going to pound the entire 3 states all at once. I have light rain forcasted for basically all day, meaning its barely raining and I am going hunting. ;)
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:34 am

Southeastern Wisconsin should be in the clear. The areas that will see the brunt of severe weather will be most of southern Minnesota, western Wisconsin, and northern Iowa. Sorry, I should have been more specific. If you go to spc.noaa.gov, you can see the outlined areas where they expect severe weather this evening.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 am

Still hot here in GA! Looking forward to October and hoping to get some of those cold fronts our way.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:14 am

weatherdude wrote:

I decided to go out yesterday afternoon. Got home from work and the sun came out and it was nice and sunny. Weather forecast on my phone showed it wasn't supposed to rain until later on, right about sun down. Figured even if it did rain, I can sit it out as it doesn't bother me much. Get out to the woods just to double check the weather again and my phone doesn't have service for some reason, I've never had problems in this spot before. As I'm getting my stand hung, it starts to rain which I was fine with since it covered any noise.

After a few off/on rain showers, its thundering pretty good to the west but still no service on my phone. I kind of get things lined up just in case I need to get down quick. A few minutes later the skies open up and its down pouring as the wind starts to increase. I thought to myself, I'm just going to climb down so if I need to get to cover I'm at least out of the tree. Right after that thought the winds pick up big time. I scurry down the tree like a fat raccoon, grab my bow and start running. By this time the winds had increased even more and I knew I needed to get away from the big trees and at least into the patch of big buckthorns and box elders about 50 yards away to at least avoid any big old trees falling on me and there is a spot where a field tile opens up on the side of the slope.

By the time I hit the small trees it was even worse, my adrenaline was going and I knew this was going to get bad quick. I got to the field edge and thats when it really started roaring. I decided to make the bee line across the field to the house, staying along the low spot in the field if it got tornadic. All I can hear is the roar of the wind (it sounded very similar to the train noise they say when a tornado is coming), the sky was green, clouds were churning, pouring rain, it was sketchy. 3/4 of the way across the field I couldn't run any more because I couldn't breathe so I power walked the last 150 yards.

Thankfully I made it back and into the house safely but I definitely learned my lesson! At the time it was pretty scary but looking back now its amazing how incredibly powerful the weather can be and I wish I could've taken video of it all, knowing I could make it out safely.
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:49 am

Glad you made it out safe bcarey2.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”