Old Rubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Old Rubs

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:34 am

So, this is my first season of using some of the information I have gained here in order to find buck bedding. I hunt in thick forested areas in hill country. The areas I am targeting to look for bedding are the bluffs near a river that I have access to with a kayak. I am starting to find old rubs from previous years, which tells me that I may be on the right track. So here are a few questions that I am asking and would love opinions on:

1. If I find old rubs 2/3rds of the way up a hillside, is it fair to assume that this area may be a possible bedding area for bucks?

2. If so, would they use this area year round, or is it possible that this is only used during rutting season?

3. How do you tell the difference between a rub line and bedding?

Thanks ahead of time, I am enjoying all that there is to learn and appreciate all of your help so far.

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Old Rubs

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:14 am

Maybe, maybe not. The two are mutually exclusive in my book. Big rubs in bedding can be confirmation a good buck is using that bedding. But rubs and rublines can be in transition areas, doe bedding/rut areas, and areas that are typically night sign. Not always bedding related.

If it's thick though, there's a good chance it is bedding. Best confirmation of that would be to find actual beds, which can be tough to do this time of year.

Have you seen the "All time tactical threads?"
Check out some of the ones related to hill county, rubs, and buck beds. I think many of these threads will enlighten far beyond your questions.
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:12 pm

As Elk Yinzer stated rubs and beds are often related but are two different things. Bucks can practically rub anywhere...right by there bed (though sometimes they don't), on a trail leading from their bed, at social hubs where many trails come together, in doe bedding areas, at the edge of fields (mostly made at night)...anywhere. Think about the movements of a deer herd in the course of a season. Bucks can go anywhere especially during the rut and lots of rubs may show up where a hot doe is and multiple bucks descend on her. A true rub line with many years of rubs is not there by coincidence. I would try to figure out why and when the rub line is made.
Beds that are used with any frequency will have deer hair in them. This time of year going into beds is usually not good but early spring before green up is an ideal time to find these. In the woods there should be a compression in the shape of a bedded deer with hair in the bed. In late spring you can find them easiest bc they are shedding their winter coats so lots of hair. For the most part beds in general are unmistakable once you find a few. I find them in wooded settings on the leeward side of hills, in thickets, near pockets of rhododendron/laurel, in clearings with undergrowth, near river bends, old logging trails or abandoned roads and even on old bridge abutments where bridges no longer exist. Not sure where you are located but if you get snow go out and do a lot of walking. You will find beds and soon you will be seeing them all over, even on bare ground.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Old rubs can only 100% confirm one thing, a buck was there once before :lol:

Being serious though, I like to find old rubs, but also in conjunction with new rubs, and actually good rubs...those high up on a tree and either close to buck bedding or actually in or around a buck bed.

Rubs lines in my opinion are only useful in direct conjunction with buck bedding. When you start seeing fresh rubs near bedding that should tell you he is using that particular bed. Sometimes it takes a couple-three years of observation on a particular bedding area to notice when the rubs open up and are fresh.

Random rub lines can happen to and from food, along transition lines, i've seen them at creek crossings, kind of like a sign post, etc etc. But to me rubs are just cool to find unless they're near known or suspected buck bedding.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:45 am

Thanks everyone, there is so much to learn which is part of what makes this fun. I am starting to read some of the tactical threads and gaining alot of new info. Appreciate all of the responses.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:43 am

backstraps wrote:Being serious though, I like to find old rubs, but also in conjunction with new rubs, and actually good rubs...those high up on a tree and either close to buck bedding or actually in or around a buck bed.

Yep all of this, finding fresh and old rubs together near bedding or in bedding and you have found the goods but as mentioned before you have to find those beds to be sure. Sometimes you can find places like this with big old rubs and tiny new rubs, then watch each season moving forward and see the buck grow up as the rubs get much larger.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:25 am

I would say if you're finding old rubs there's a good chance there is bedding if it's thick on top. Could be seasonal though, and those beds can be hard to spot. Could be bedding there while acorns are dropping, or during rut. Might even be a good rut location to catch a cruising buck when the wind is coming over the top. There has to be a reason for a buck to walk the ridge though.
One thing I thought of- if you kayak in is there any way you could be seen is a buck is bedding up above the river?
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:39 am

Generally doe bedding areas provide the most rubs in any given area. They’ll rub down wind, access trails and in the doe bedding area.

Doe bed with my bow (35” ATA) for reference and second pic shows a rub adjacent. Bed is to the right on the second pic.

The Area was loaded with rubs of various heights which is a huge indicator in my opinion. On one occasion I found evidence of a BIG Buck bedding with does during the peak rut. His bed pushed 45+” in length, he got shot the next year and scored mid 150’s :doh:

Mature bucks are weird.. Some tear their bedding areas up, others won’t touch a tree within 1/2 mile of their core area. So I wouldn’t bank everything on rubs determining a bedding area or not.

In rolling hills the bucks pick up and move constantly throughout the day so you won’t find a beat down bed like farm country or swamps/marshes so keep that in mind.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”