Going in blind? Help!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Going in blind? Help!

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:59 am

Looks like opining day is going to be hot! And it looks like a south wind. I was thinking about going in blind to a spot I have never hunted before but should be perfect for hunting the leeward side. Where would you set up for an AM hunt?

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Going in blind? Help!

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:54 am

I would not go in blind in the AM... Wait till evening, slip in and scout as you go till you find the right spot.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:02 am

Going in blind in the am is ridiculously tough. Like dan said wait until the evening. Arrive with plenty or time so you can take your time and methodically move your way to points of interest.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:08 am

I would hunt the medulla oblongata.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:09 am

I agree with them both. I never have and never plan on going in blind in an area I am not familiar with in the morning.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:20 am

The above post was a joke...haha.

Seriously I agree with the others. Don't go stumbling around somewhere you don't know in the dark. Odds are you will just blow your hunt.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:51 am

I appreciate the responses and I guess I should have added more context. Lets just say "hypothetically" that you were a man that did whatever your wife told you and the only time you ever got to hunt was in the AM before the kids woke up. Then what would you do?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:52 am

oldrank wrote:The above post was a joke...haha.

Seriously I agree with the others. Don't go stumbling around somewhere you don't know in the dark. Odds are you will just blow your hunt.

"Mama said alligators are so angry because they have all those teeth but no tooth brush"
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:58 am

If you just have the morning and it's a hail Mary type of hunt I would still hunt it from the ground. Gain as much information that hunt as possible to use in the future.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:00 am

NorthStar wrote:I appreciate the responses and I guess I should have added more context. Lets just say "hypothetically" that you were a man that did whatever your wife told you and the only time you ever got to hunt was in the AM before the kids woke up. Then what would you do?

I would look at aerials and try to take a guess at a food destination, then look at that topo and take a guess at bedding. Then find the best funnel between the two and have at it. Keep the access route short so you;re not trampling through miles of unknown terrain and woods in the dark and only go in when the wind will allow you to take the short access.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 am

Assuming you're after a deer in general and nothing special ...any water? Tough to tell w/the shading on the map but hot = water as another consideration...
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:16 am

NorthStar wrote:Lets just say "hypothetically" that you were a man that did whatever your wife told you and the only time you ever got to hunt was in the AM before the kids woke up. Then what would you do?

:lol: :lol: Well played
Hunter271995

Unread postby Hunter271995 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:25 am

A different option is to find a high point where you can see quite a way and do an observation sit. Sometime just watching what deer are doing from a distance will lead to more successful hunts on different mornings.
Zig when they Zag, Zag when they Zig
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Man please Just be really safe and careful.
I got to agree with the top guys go in the aftrnoon. The mrs will get over it they always do lol.
I think your just gonna do more damage than anything too the area.
You can look at maps for hours but boots on the ground confirming hot sign imo is key
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:18 pm

I’ll throw out a little contradiction to what some have said, I WILL and have done blind sets during the morning during the rut. I’ve had success doing this that if I had waited till daylight to creep in I wouldn’t have had. I’ve also been sitting in a tree right after daylight with some bad shooting lanes and kicking myself so it’s a crap shoot. Again that’s for the rut for me, in hill country.

Early season like this I wouldn’t attempt it blind in the morning. If that’s your only option I would try to maybe observe. Evening would be my preferred choice as others have said.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”