How to carry in bow and stand while using bike

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

How to carry in bow and stand while using bike

Unread postby JonNc » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:49 am

I found some spots this off season that will be much easier to get as far back as I want to if I used a bike. I was wondering if many of you guys do this and what your set ups look like? I know I can throw my stand on my back while going in, but am looking for tips to also carry bow/gun. Thanks!

Ahawk116

Re: How to carry in bow and stand while using bike

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:58 am

I use a full frame backpack to carry all my stuff in. Pm me your email and I can send you photos. I never have been able to figure out how to post a photo here.
My pack has “wings” which I strap my stand, sticks, and bow on the pack with and carry my extra goodies in the pockets.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:08 am

Stand/sticks on my back and bow mounted on handlebars. I use atv gun mounts on my bike and they hold my bow nicely.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:25 am

And that's how it is done.
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 am

I didn't want all the rattle from the bike to transfer to the bow ( probably other thinking ) so I strap it to my stand or use a bow sling. Can ride right by deer and all they do is look at you.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Dewey wrote:Stand/sticks on my back and bow mounted on handlebars. I use atv gun mounts on my bike and they hold my bow nicely.

This is what i do also. Since crashing on a steep downhill and luckily getting myself to the ER I only do flatish logging roads now. Luckily i did not have a stand on my back when i crashed.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Ahawk116 wrote:I use a full frame backpack to carry all my stuff in. Pm me your email and I can send you photos. I never have been able to figure out how to post a photo here.
My pack has “wings” which I strap my stand, sticks, and bow on the pack with and carry my extra goodies in the pockets.

this is how i post pics viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39892 as for packing in stand and sticks one of those trailers for kids work pretty darn good alot of guys are using them for hauling out elk meat and gear out west might even be able to load a whole deer on one
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Stick my bow on the handle bars with an atv bow holder like everyone else. And stand on my back.

I also have one of those handlebar baskets I picked up at Walmart. Really comes in handy to hold a bottle or 2 of water and a really small handheld air pump, that I’ve needed several times.

Adding some fix-a-flat in the tires really helps stop/prevent leaks too.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Sadly, we can only use bikes on designated biking trails on public in MO. Years ago I had permission to hunt vast bottom fields with small patches of woods scattered throughout. The bike got a lot of use back then. It still has the rubber coated bow holders on the handle bars. They hold your bow from point A to point B, which is what they are designed for, but it is imperative to make sure all of the fasteners on your equipment have been de-greased and blue lock-tited. Most people on here probably do this, anyway. Just sayin. If your parts come loose due to excessive vibration caused from miles of riding, it may cost you a mature 10pt. at 15yds.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Dewey wrote:Stand/sticks on my back and bow mounted on handlebars. I use atv gun mounts on my bike and they hold my bow nicely.

That’s my setup
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Aaron Jones
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/aaron.m.jones.90?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Aaron Jones » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:03 am

That is how I put the stand and sticks on my bike.
It is a 25 dollar bike rack from amazon. I put the stand and sticks on the rack and bungee it down. I can put whatever else I need on it. Clothes, boots, water, pack, anything. I normally bungee additional clothes on top of the sticks and stand.
For my bow, I normally bungee strap it to my back pack and I wear the back pack on my back while riding my bike. It is bungeed higher on my back pack so that I have no worries in the cam or bottom limbs hitting the treestand. I prefer my bow on my back than compared to it being on the handlebars.
This setup worked amazing for deer hunting. It made no noise and I could get back a mile and a half in fifteen to twenty minutes. I will be using this this fall again.

This is my pack ( with an arrangement of different stuff in it for turkey hunting). The gun is in the gun case and it is bungeed to the rack and pack is bungeed on top of it. With this “turkey setup” I had to make sure the pack was bungeed tight or it would fall down towards the tire.
Loving the Public Land pursuit!
Aaron Jones
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/aaron.m.jones.90?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Aaron Jones » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:15 am

Also the deer hunting rig also worked amazing as a deer cart. I shot a doe found her, gutted her, and got my bike. Laid the bike down and put the seat of my bike in her chest cavity. Got on the other side of the doe and picked her up with the bike coming up as well. I made her straddle the bike frame with her front legs and the bike rack with her hind legs. I pushed her to my gear. I put my pack on my sticks and stand. Then bungeed my bow to my pack. Put that big stand, sticks, pack, and bow on my back then I picked the deer back up and pushed her out a mile in and half deep. The hardest part was picking the deer back up with the 70 pounds of gear on my back. ( I have a lot of unnecessary filming gear that is pretty heavy.) but once I got her up and rolling, that was the easiest deer I have ever drug out of the woods. Literally was no struggle at all pushing her on the bike.

Loving the Public Land pursuit!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:01 am

Aaron Jones wrote:Image

:lol: :clap:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:03 am

hambone wrote:Sadly, we can only use bikes on designated biking trails on public in MO.

Iv seen plenty of guys use them during season on trails youre not supposed to. I called about it but there just isnt enough agents to do anything about it. I have used them on trails not designated but only when scouting.
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:24 am

I use the ATV hanle rack, same as others. I have a fear of it rattling something loose, so I'm looking at other options.

hambone wrote:Sadly, we can only use bikes on designated biking trails on public in MO. Y

I feel your pain, I'm in Missouri too. Seems like ATVs are all over the MTNF during gun season. I have permits to use my MTB on forestry roads. I typically use them on the roads that have been cut off either by erosion, lack of maintenance, creek/river fords, for areas I don't want to drive my vehicle into.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”