Why do big bucks let us see them during the summer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Why do big bucks let us see them during the summer?

Unread postby GRFox » Tue May 24, 2011 8:04 am

Why do big bucks have no problem coming out into a wide open field all summer long, but as soon as they split up from bachelor groups. They stop? Is it because they have all they're buddies to watch they're backs in the summer? Just curious as to what the reason is. Any thoughts?

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Why do big bucks let us see them during the summer?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 24, 2011 8:07 am

Can't say for sure, but I think it has something to do with a surge in testosterone. This makes them a differernt creature come fall.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue May 24, 2011 8:19 am

I think the DNR sends them a copy of the rules and regulations every year, so they know when the archery season is going to start... ;) I know what you mean though, it's just like a light switch gets flipped or something..
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I think the DNR sends them a copy of the rules and regulations every year, so they know when the archery season is going to start... ;) I know what you mean though, it's just like a light switch gets flipped or something..

:lol:
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 am

I bet it relates to human scent in the woods. The younger deer are taught, and the older deer know. Summer is relatively free of the humans that cause danger to the deer. And they know it.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue May 24, 2011 9:25 am

You already know the answer to that. It's why we do the bulk of our prepatration on our sets, and our scouting immediately post season and respect the sanctity of the core bedding until it's kiilling time. Because and to borrow from a friend of mine John Coit : "Every intrusion is known".

As soon as the human imprint is felt, the mature animals are on guard.

It is not the case, where there is no hunting pressure.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:29 am

Maybe they need to escape the flies and mosquitoes that come with stale water like in a swamp or marsh.Open fields maybe give them a cool breeze and less bugs.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 24, 2011 12:08 pm

I think it has more to do with there need to eat massive quantitys to bulk up for fall and the shorter nights... To back that up, I do see deer do the same thing on propertys where humans invade for hikeing or other sports, and see them dissapear in fall in woods no one enters. However, there are some monsters around here who never show themselves in fields in daylight...
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue May 24, 2011 2:43 pm

we've had some very interesting situations over here in the conservation district properties that were completely landlocked and unhunted for many many years. The deer behavior absent pressure really gives an appreciation for how effective the adaptation to hunting pressure is. I think that really is the premise of the intrigue that fascinates us to develop predictable methods. And the mature buck thats like an entirely different category of prey, especially where there is pressure.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue May 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Summer time = buffet in the fields. Bucks only have a few things to worry about in the summer and food/water are top of the list. Bucks in my neck of the woods are so visible it's stupid, and then August rolls around and all the road scouting starts and they go bye bye. Boils down to human pressure in the end.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 24, 2011 7:15 pm

goldtip5575 wrote:Maybe they need to escape the flies and mosquitoes that come with stale water like in a swamp or marsh.Open fields maybe give them a cool breeze and less bugs.

I agree with this plus being in velvet they don't really like to be in the really thick stuff unless they get some human pressure. Once the testosterone kicks in around velvet shedding they become much more secretive and more of a loner.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed May 25, 2011 12:17 am

I think it has to do with mostly food and some pressure. Soybeans are the ticket here in summer. It's a lazy time and they'll bed close and eat all summer. Late summer everything starts to get "woody". Beans start to yellow and the summer foods aren't that appealing. Pastures are dryin up. In September, the acorns will start to fall and the only thing that will get a bucks attention away from an acorn is a pretty little doe prissin her stuff and they're not ready yet. Plus the bucks disposition changes.

Late August the bucks are sporting their best horn and the road hunters and spectaters won't leave them alone.

All this leads into what alot of people think is "The October Lull". I don't think there is a lull at all, just a change. Bucks still do their thing, just differently....
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed May 25, 2011 1:47 am

Any bigwoods hunters see any bucks during the summer? I just plain old never see them, and gave up looking. I do have a monster backyard buck that maybe makes one or two appearances in July but that is about it.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed May 25, 2011 10:50 am

Cabin fever mabey,I know that,s where I am come summer out in the open .The woods are just plain miserable in the summer, heat , bugs, no breeze,to cool them off..I think the deer are sick of their diet ,consisting of less desireable woody browseup ,and can,t help themselves but to gorge on on the tender summer shoots.After the crops harden up and mature they are harder to digest and the deer could just as well be back in the safety of the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”