Variations in track size

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Natenlsn2

Variations in track size

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:27 am

Dan talks about a 4 finger track being a big buck. I shot an old mature northern WI 220 lb field dressed Buck this past season, when I put my hand up to his track it was more like a 3 finger track. Do you see any variation in track sizes for big bucks/when do you feel like the track is big enough to hunt?

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Variations in track size

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:52 am

Track sizes do vary from deer to deer and from area to area. You get to know your area the more you pay attention to the tracks. Are you after body weight, or rack size, or age? These are important questions to ask in deciding what track to take as well. Over time you will know your area and know what track you want to take.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:10 am

Deer sizes differ by region, sub species and habitat quality. It varies from individual to individual also.

Think about people. One might wear a size 7 and another a size 13 and both be the same age.

A big track is a clue a big buck is in the area but a buck with a middle sized track may have a bigger set of antlers the the buck with the big track.
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:37 am

Was the track you measured on the ground or did you put your hand up to the feet after you killed it? If there is no weight on the hoofs I would guess it to be smaller.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:02 am

Another thing to take into account is people have different sized hands.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:45 am

Also a swamp buck will usually have a bigger track than a mountain buck because a mountain buck will wear their hooves down going up and down rocks. A mountain buck will have rounded hooves and a swamp buck will be pointy.

I saw a big buck in back of a truck last year, and took one look at the hooves and said congratulations that looks like an old National Forest buck. The guy who killed it was very startled and wanted to know how I knew where he killed it. I said easy, the hooves were completely rounded, and it obviously was not a farm land buck.

As magic already said there will always be variation. I like to look at length of stride and width between tracks also if I can to determine buck size. A lot of our deer and big bucks in WV have relatively small bodies and not much different size than some does, so it makes it really tough. I found it easier when I was in northern ADK's and a big buck also usually had a big body and was much bigger than a doe, and there was usually snow...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:11 am

magicman54494 wrote:Track sizes do vary from deer to deer and from area to area. You get to know your area the more you pay attention to the tracks. Are you after body weight, or rack size, or age? These are important questions to ask in deciding what track to take as well. Over time you will know your area and know what track you want to take.

I guess I am more looking for age the anything, but I like all three ;) I honestly have not paid enough attention to deer tracks and learning to read that sign!
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:11 am

Jdw wrote:Deer sizes differ by region, sub species and habitat quality. It varies from individual to individual also.

Think about people. One might wear a size 7 and another a size 13 and both be the same age.

A big track is a clue a big buck is in the area but a buck with a middle sized track may have a bigger set of antlers the the buck with the big track.

Yea He i suppose we can’t make blanket statements because each deer is unique!
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:12 am

ChasingFLATS86 wrote:Was the track you measured on the ground or did you put your hand up to the feet after you killed it? If there is no weight on the hoofs I would guess it to be smaller.

I just put my hand up to it after it was killed, so that could for sure have an impact!
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:13 am

Jdw wrote:Another thing to take into account is people have different sized hands.

Totally agree!
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:16 am

brancher147 wrote:Also a swamp buck will usually have a bigger track than a mountain buck because a mountain buck will wear their hooves down going up and down rocks. A mountain buck will have rounded hooves and a swamp buck will be pointy.

I saw a big buck in back of a truck last year, and took one look at the hooves and said congratulations that looks like an old National Forest buck. The guy who killed it was very startled and wanted to know how I knew where he killed it. I said easy, the hooves were completely rounded, and it obviously was not a farm land buck.

As magic already said there will always be variation. I like to look at length of stride and width between tracks also if I can to determine buck size. A lot of our deer and big bucks in WV have relatively small bodies and not much different size than some does, so it makes it really tough. I found it easier when I was in northern ADK's and a big buck also usually had a big body and was much bigger than a doe, and there was usually snow...

So many details to learn and pay attention to, this is why I love hunting, always something new to learn like the wearing of hooves can be a sign of varying places a deer lives! Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”