New Area - Advice

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cantfoou

New Area - Advice

Unread postby cantfoou » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:18 am

Im looking for some feedback on an area Im scouting this weekend. My first question is. Is it frowned upon to show maps and ask for advice like this? This is the second one I'm asking people to look at and if its frowned upon I apologize and wont ask anymore.

NW prevailing, NY - Public

I marked areas I think are obvious. Are they correct? Anyone have any thoughts on what I missed? What would the top third elevation be to check? I feel like there is 2 to 3 elevations to walk. Marked in yellow. Are those correct?

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: New Area - Advice

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:03 am

Looks good to me, but I don't know anything about hunting hills, or big bucks in general. :think:

But about your first question, post pictures... for sure. You will typically get way more help, from what I have seen. Just be cautious to not post pics that will give away vital location info, for your own sake.

Some threads that are started catch fire, and the answers pour in, others don't seem to spark as much interest. It seems when a topic has been recently discussed, or there are already a pile of threads on a subject in the archives, those topics don't get a lot of responses.
Another thing to consider is titling your thread with something descriptive. For example, I am interested in river bottoms, so I am much more likely to look at a thread that I know is pertaining to them. I have also noticed certain Beasts, who are successful with a particular feature, are quicker to add knowledge when a subject is their specialty.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your scouting!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 am

The only reason it would be frowned on is because it's public. You might not care if everyone sees it, but maybe there's another guy hunting it and he will have to deal with the increased pressure too. Might not be an issue in some places, in others, it's an invitation. I know I wouldn't like it too much if I got on here and saw all the spots I've busted my tail to scout just posted up for public knowledge. Just something to consider.

Since you've already posted it...Looks like you've got it covered pretty well. I marked up some things in green that I would hit too. Sometimes those knobs like I circled will have beds all the way around them where they switch around for different winds.

What is your access? If you have to come up that ridge from the bottom, that's gonna be tough.

cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:01 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:Looks good to me, but I don't know anything about hunting hills, or big bucks in general. :think:

But about your first question, post pictures... for sure. You will typically get way more help, from what I have seen. Just be cautious to not post pics that will give away vital location info, for your own sake.

Some threads that are started catch fire, and the answers pour in, others don't seem to spark as much interest. It seems when a topic has been recently discussed, or there are already a pile of threads on a subject in the archives, those topics don't get a lot of responses.
Another thing to consider is titling your thread with something descriptive. For example, I am interested in river bottoms, so I am much more likely to look at a thread that I know is pertaining to them. I have also noticed certain Beasts, who are successful with a particular feature, are quicker to add knowledge when a subject is their specialty.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your scouting!

I did go through and remove all the vital info. Thanks with advice!!
cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:06 am

RidgeGhost wrote:The only reason it would be frowned on is because it's public. You might not care if everyone sees it, but maybe there's another guy hunting it and he will have to deal with the increased pressure too. Might not be an issue in some places, in others, it's an invitation. I know I wouldn't like it too much if I got on here and saw all the spots I've busted my tail to scout just posted up for public knowledge. Just something to consider.

Since you've already posted it...Looks like you've got it covered pretty well. I marked up some things in green that I would hit too. Sometimes those knobs like I circled will have beds all the way around them where they switch around for different winds.

What is your access? If you have to come up that ridge from the bottom, that's gonna be tough.

You think even with all the info removed like I did, that because its public that I shouldn't have posted it? I do see what you're saying just was thinking with everything removed and what are the chances that someone knows where this is. But I wont post anymore. I do have to come up that ridge from the bottom, but its not that bad really. Thanks for the advice.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:11 am

I typically see people get more feedback when they post visuals. Since you're only hunting the ridge I'd say maybe zoom in a little further so people cant see the surroundings but that's nitpicking.

Thanks for posting, i'm curious to see the feedback.
cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:15 am

NYBackcountry wrote:I typically see people get more feedback when they post visuals. Since you're only hunting the ridge I'd say maybe zoom in a little further so people cant see the surroundings but that's nitpicking.

Thats a great Idea about zooming in. Thanks for the info. I wonder if I can actually update the photo in the post.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:18 am

cantfoou wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:I typically see people get more feedback when they post visuals. Since you're only hunting the ridge I'd say maybe zoom in a little further so people cant see the surroundings but that's nitpicking.

Thats a great Idea about zooming in. Thanks for the info. I wonder if I can actually update the photo in the post.

I think if you zoom in and re-save it to the Beast gallery you can just copy the new url into the same spot on your original post. I think there is eve na crop feature in the gallery, you may be able to just edit the photo you already have on there.
cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 am

NYBackcountry wrote:
cantfoou wrote:

I think if you zoom in and re-save it to the Beast gallery you can just copy the new url into the same spot on your original post. I think there is eve na crop feature in the gallery, you may be able to just edit the photo you already have on there.

I just cropped it in the gallery and saved it but its not affecting the post image. I can upload a new one but where do I edit my original post? I can't seem to find an edit post button. Thanks for the help.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:51 am

cantfoou wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:
cantfoou wrote:

I just cropped it in the gallery and saved it but its not affecting the post image. I can upload a new one but where do I edit my original post? I can't seem to find an edit post button. Thanks for the help.

Ahh, I forgot the edit button disappears after a little while. I'm not very savvy with the photos yet, I tried adding one in another thread from the beast gallery and I cant get it to show up :think:

I'd PM Carol or Dan, they may be able to help.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:48 am

I like the top yellow line the most and that top red marking as well. That little point right before the bottoms looks like a really good spot.

All of the spots right above where it is darker bc of steepness are good spots to check. Even though bucks like having escape routes, having security of seeing danger approaching and danger cant approach from that direction is a good ingredient.

The area may seem overwhelming but break it down into sections, cover the ground you can can cover and let the sign tell the story.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:43 am

RidgeGhost wrote:The only reason it would be frowned on is because it's public. You might not care if everyone sees it, but maybe there's another guy hunting it and he will have to deal with the increased pressure too. Might not be an issue in some places, in others, it's an invitation. I know I wouldn't like it too much if I got on here and saw all the spots I've busted my tail to scout just posted up for public knowledge. Just something to consider.

Your areas marked green, why would you include those features too? I have hills like this one and am wondering what you see when you look at that map? Obviously, I'm learning but somethings jump out at people when I'm looking at like it's a hill.... Just curious about what I am missing! Great stuff by the way!
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:

Your areas marked green, why would you include those features too? I have hills like this one and am wondering what you see when you look at that map? Obviously, I'm learning but somethings jump out at people when I'm looking at like it's a hill.... Just curious about what I am missing! Great stuff by the way!

Looking for the best points with the best(sharpest drop) military crest in the area. Second, they like being up on those elevated knobs because they can keep the wind at their back and watch in front just like on a point. Those two knobs on top of the ridge should be good if the only access is from the bottom. I doubt many people make that trek, especially during bow season.

I've found several knobs like that and they have beds all along the perimeter at the military crest. One of the best bedding areas I know of is set up on a knob like that overlooking a heavily used walking trail. It's within 150 yards of the trail and is some of the biggest buck sign around. Any hunter would likely approach from behind him and he would wind him. Any hiker that strays off the path in front of him, he will see and hear him with plenty of time to escape.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:13 am

RidgeGhost wrote: I've found several knobs like that and they have beds all along the perimeter at the military crest. One of the best bedding areas I know of is set up on a knob like that overlooking a heavily used walking trail. It's within 150 yards of the trail and is some of the biggest buck sign around. Any hunter would likely approach from behind him and he would wind him. Any hiker that strays off the path in front of him, he will see and hear him with plenty of time to escape.

Hiding in plain sight, It's hard for me to get away from old habits, overlooking areas because they are too "close" to hunter access, if its a good bedding spot, its a good bedding spot regardless of the location. They are bedding their because
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”