1/3 rule

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cantfoou

1/3 rule

Unread postby cantfoou » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Is the area of this image, without the elevations numbers (bottom rightish) to steep for the 1/3 rule? Also testing my first image upload.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: 1/3 rule

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Hard to say just looking at a topo... Probably the 1st place I would look though if just based on that map... I have seen a lot of great bucks bed on or above ground so steep you could not walk upright on... Deer can handle steeper than people cause of there four feet.
cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I’m headed in there tomorrow.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Is that dashed line where you walked? If so I'd go back and check these two areas. Would like to see a satellite view as well but just going off of Topo id bet the farm that there is bedding at these locations I circled.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Here’s a sat image. If that changes anything.

cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:16 pm

rfickes87 wrote:Is that dashed line where you walked? If so I'd go back and check these two areas. Would like to see a satellite view as well but just going off of Topo id bet the farm that there is bedding at these locations I circled.

The dashed line is an old walking trail. It’s public. The lower section you highlighted is off limits but inwill for sure check out the upper one. Thanks!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Not a hill expert but, I kinda like the looks of this spot too. I look like a small flat on the leeward side. Especially if you have a prevailing NW wind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
cantfoou

Unread postby cantfoou » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm

tgreeno wrote:Not a hill expert but, I kinda like the looks of this spot too. I look like a small flat on the leeward side. Especially if you have a prevailing NW wind.

Yes, during bow season the prevailing is NW thanks!
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 am

I'm confused. When we say prevailing wind we mean the direction the wind is coming FROM right? So wouldn't the areas circled be on the windward side? I thought bedding was on the leeward side?

Emrah
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:05 am

rfickes87 wrote:Is that dashed line where you walked? If so I'd go back and check these two areas. Would like to see a satellite view as well but just going off of Topo id bet the farm that there is bedding at these locations I circled.

It can be hard whan people don't add a location to there profile, but most of the lower 48 has westerly winds as the common and East as the rare. I looked at those spots too, and believe there would be beds there, but my primary focus would be that steep ridge area and/or the flat that was pointed out cause it lays out well for common west and north winds.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:08 am

Emrah wrote:I'm confused. When we say prevailing wind we mean the direction the wind is coming FROM right? So wouldn't the areas circled be on the windward side? I thought bedding was on the leeward side?

Emrah

Prevailing means the way it comes from most of the time... With that said, the flat circled is half way up the hill and a N/W wind would make that leeward.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 am

cantfoou wrote:Is the area of this image, without the elevations numbers (bottom rightish) to steep for the 1/3 rule?

I have never seen too steep for the upper 1/3 rule of thumb. If there are actual vertical cliffs, even better. As Dan said, bucks will bed above or below cliffs and steep ground that people cannot travel. The steeper the better IMO.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:57 am

I agree with rfickes87 in those two spots off the west side. The MAIN one I'd key in on is the main point coming off the flat. The one with three arrows coming out. If this was in my area, I would expect him to work back up the ridge toward the bottom white flag. There likely wont be much sign there, but may find some rubs or scrapes back out toward the north end of that flat or on that big bench flat off the east side. Blue would be my entry and set up around that blue dot if I was going to hunt it blind.

Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:43 am

Ok still not clear on this. It seems the two circled areas rfickes87 showed are windward side. The area tgreeno circled is leeward. All this assuming north is up in the pictures. What am I missing?

Emrah
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 am

Emrah wrote:Ok still not clear on this. It seems the two circled areas rfickes87 showed are windward side. The area tgreeno circled is leeward. All this assuming north is up in the pictures. What am I missing?

Emrah

I wouldn't bank on a predominant wind direction. Need to have spots for all wind directions. I found that out the hard way last year. I spent the first three weeks of the season blind hunting spots for south or east winds because all of my previous scouting was based on a predominant NW wind.

Plus, if you find a really good point, they will change beds around the point to keep the wind at their back. One point may be used for many wind variations.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”