Hunting Beast Kill Chart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

Re: Hunting Beast Kill Chart

Unread postby Octang » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:42 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Divergent wrote:I really feel like I’m missing out on so much intel without snow. I might just have to move the wife and kids up north. :lol:

I feel the same way at times, but come late season when you see those guys bundled up with frozen snot stuck to there face. While we are in a hoodie basking in the sun makes me feel better about our situation down here :lol:

Like today? Half way through "spring" and we are in the midsts of ANOTHER winter storm. Highways are shut down and everything. Bleh. I still love it though.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:51 am

Divergent wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Divergent wrote:I really feel like I’m missing out on so much intel without snow. I might just have to move the wife and kids up north. :lol:

I feel the same way at times, but come late season when you see those guys bundled up with frozen snot stuck to there face. While we are in a hoodie basking in the sun makes me feel better about our situation down here :lol:

:lol: True. I have to hand it to those guys who are typically bow hunting in subzero temps.

Subzero is nothing. I can handle adding another layer. I am miserable when it’s 90 with a dew point of 70.

We complain in Wisconsin when it snows in April. Southerners start complaining when you get 50” of rain one day, a hurricane the next, and step on a snake after dodging a gator the following week when it’s 110 and a dew point of 95.

I think we have it pretty nice up here if you ask me. you southern guys have my respect, but then I wonder why you would live down there in the first place :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Jonny wrote:
Divergent wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

:lol: True. I have to hand it to those guys who are typically bow hunting in subzero temps.

Subzero is nothing. I can handle adding another layer. I am miserable when it’s 90 with a dew point of 70.

We complain in Wisconsin when it snows in April. Southerners start complaining when you get 50” of rain one day, a hurricane the next, and step on a snake after dodging a gator the following week when it’s 110 and a dew point of 95.

I think we have it pretty nice up here if you ask me. you southern guys have my respect, but then I wonder why you would live down there in the first place :lol:

Will say every place I've ever been to in the world has its own set of challenges. But for bowhunting extreme cold would be my worst nightmare. Due to all the clothes, trying to make a good shot with all the bulk and shiver me tenders! In my area when it's forecasted to drop below 32 schools and business are shut down. A whisper of snow or ice involved gets a visit from the president, evacuation procedures in place and the national guard involved.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:40 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Divergent wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Will say every place I've ever been to in the world has its own set of challenges. But for bowhunting extreme cold would be my worst nightmare. Due to all the clothes, trying to make a good shot with all the bulk and shiver me tenders! In my area when it's forecasted to drop below 32 schools and business are shut down. A whisper of snow or ice involved gets a visit from the president, evacuation procedures in place and the national guard involved.

The new sitka ascent system made this last year much more enjoyable.

Everybody make sure you’ve got your bread and milk...lol

Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 am

Super cool, I shot my buck this year on the 25th of October, great time of year to get a buck!
Natenlsn2

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 am

Jonny wrote:
Divergent wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Agreed! I would take the cold any day over the heat!
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 am

Jonny wrote:
Divergent wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Because when we are young no one tells us that when you marry a southern girl they won't want to move to a better place!!!
Make It Happen
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Swampbuck wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Divergent wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Because when we are young no one tells us that when you marry a southern girl they won't want to move to a better place!!!

I should’ve known better when I married a girl from Panama City beach. At least she’s cool with becoming a widow during the hunting season though.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:29 am

dan wrote:
john1984 wrote:I really have no clue. But December bowhunting on public in WI seems hard. But Dan you still prefer Late Dec Over Mid Sept ?????????

Thank God for the Rut

Usually if your on the right property about Jan. 1st starts the best hunting. I like early September, and rut... But clearly my best hunting for mature animals was January.

Man the more I pay attention the more I believe that. Some serious TITANS hit the ground late season...
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
dan wrote:
john1984 wrote:I really have no clue. But December bowhunting on public in WI seems hard. But Dan you still prefer Late Dec Over Mid Sept ?????????

Thank God for the Rut

Usually if your on the right property about Jan. 1st starts the best hunting. I like early September, and rut... But clearly my best hunting for mature animals was January.

Man the more I pay attention the more I believe that. Some serious TITANS hit the ground late season...

What do you think is the biggest factor? Food, cover, pressure?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:14 am

Divergent wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
dan wrote:

Thank God for the Rut

I havent hunted late season other than few Dec hunts. Obviously food is very, very important but IMO think its just bc so bitter cold out.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:35 am

Divergent wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
dan wrote:

Thank God for the Rut

Cold, food, and cover... When it gets bitter cold they flock to food but need bedding cover. They stay on a pattern better than any other time of the year... Another helping factor is snow.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:40 am

dan wrote:
Divergent wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
dan wrote:

Thank God for the Rut

Cold, food, and cover... When it gets bitter cold they flock to food but need bedding cover. They stay on a pattern better than any other time of the year... Another helping factor is snow.

Do you get more aggressive for the last couple weeks of the season?
If so would that contribute to the spike on your chart?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:03 am

Noreast10pt wrote:
dan wrote:
Divergent wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
dan wrote:

Thank God for the Rut

Do you get more aggressive for the last couple weeks of the season?
If so would that contribute to the spike on your chart?

No. Im always aggressive. Big bucks are simply easier to pattern, see in daylight, and hunt on cold days.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:34 pm

I would be really interested to see the age class data added into the chart. Really hard to pull that data accurately, but would be very interesting to see how many 4yo+ died in early and late compared to rut dates.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”