What do YOU do...At full draw....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: What do YOU do...At full draw....

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:56 am

I would like to make a suggestion for everybody to watch this podcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_nc5AT1Qug&t=3906s

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:27 am

Joel has some great videos! I have switched since my original post. I focus on my pin on the deer before i pull back. Once at full draw i think more on pulling with my back muscles and elbow. It does help!
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:51 am

Most of my work is done before full draw.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:52 pm

I get in a zone where I’m so focused on taking the shot once my bow is drawn I don’t see little things. Center my pin and exhale when I feel the shot is good and ethical. Right after the shot I’m a mess
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:15 pm

I get my sight picture that I’ve practiced thousands of times and make sure I have good back tension. I’ve done this with good success with both compound and trad bows on game.The rest is auto pilot.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:39 pm

I have to come up the front leg with the compound. I have a nasty habit that I cannot shake off that if I drop down, I release as soon as my pin is within 3 inches of the "bullseye".
How bad do you want it?
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:41 pm

I really don't think about it. I honestly don't think I do it same each time. I concentrate on shooting for exit. I want that arrow to exit somewhere as close elbow at front leg as possible. But, still exit behind elbow toward lungs.

Back in my earlier days. I would buy deer targets. I got in habit of shooting deer targets. I would shoot middle of lung. I would come down from top side. Then let one fly. Well, you do what you practice. I had several deer that I would shoot and have a long blood trail. Because I was shooting to far back.

Now I just burn a hole it seems trying to get that arrow to exlt just behind front shoulder. Course if it is different when walking you want that broadside shot. Still exit as close elbow behind shoulder as possible. I guess what Im trying to say I concentrate more on arrow placement than how I get on deer. But everybody has different ways they accompplish same task.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:20 am

FYI, there are several discussions on the archery tech board about target panic.
I really like listening to podcasts involving Joel turner as well.

I always go through a mental checklist BEFORE I draw the bow.
Look at my arrow, is it completely nocked and on the rest.
Then I make contact with the back of my trigger with my index finger.
Proper grip.
Draw my bow.
Double check arrow on rest.
Bend at waist as I center pin on target.
Finger goes to front of trigger.
Pull through as I concentrate on the spot I want to hit.

Autopilot is a very bad thing.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 am

Like some others, once I decide to shoot I'm on autopilot. Rarely remember little details from the shot. I trust my practice and routine and it works for me. I'd worry about thinking too much in the moment and that causing target panic for me.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:24 am

Ironically posted at the same time Killtree posted that autopilot is a bad thing. Persoanlly, I agree if you haven't prepared, but if I trust my practice and routine, it works well for me. For me the auto pilot portion starts as I draw. Up until that moment I've gone through a similar mental checklist to what you posted. For me it works.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:59 am

Honestly I don't think I have one way of lining up. At targets I usually bring the pins down but in the woods is usually awkward positions, bending to get around the tree etc so all I know I have 100% focus on visualizing the deer's heart and trying to put my arrow through the arteries right at the top of it whatever the angle. I come to full draw fairly early in the process and shoot a weight I can hold for a loooong time. I just generally track the deer coming in and become more precise as necessary when its time to take the shot.

I shoot with 2 pins so usually am gap aiming because a buck is rarely at 25 or 40 yards exactly. Say the buck is around 15 yards I focus on the heart, my pin is around 3" below that point of impact but its sort of blurry because I am focused on that spot where the heart is not the pin. Same if its 35 yards I split the gap focusing on the heart and just know from experience, tons of practice gap shooting, that about 1/4 of the gap between the 25 and 40 yard pins is below the point of impact and 3/4 is above.

So the important routine to me is not how I come on target but what I am aiming at. Precision is what its all about. "Aiming for the chest" is not nearly good enough for me, I had a massive improvement in my successful shot ratio when I stopped "aiming for the chest" and started aiming for the tiny spot at the top of the heart. Aim small miss small. Before that I was probably making 50% of my shots, which sadly seems like a lot of bow hunters are around that, now I am over 90% having hit and lost one buck since 2004 and missed none...thats with my compound, the couple shots I have taken with my recurve have not gone so well :oops: Not bragging, I think everyone else could do it too.

That's just what works for me. I am far faster on the shot with 2 pins than I would be with 3 or 4 (or even more), then I gotta stop and think what pin I am using....just how I am wired. Definitely varies by person no one right way.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:22 am

Kraftd wrote:Ironically posted at the same time Killtree posted that autopilot is a bad thing. Persoanlly, I agree if you haven't prepared, but if I trust my practice and routine, it works well for me. For me the auto pilot portion starts as I draw. Up until that moment I've gone through a similar mental checklist to what you posted. For me it works.

If you read the "My battle with target panic" thread on the archery tech board, you will see I don't believe in blank baling or shooting with your eyes closed to try and cure TP.
I can also tell you switching releases is a short term fix as well as many other things.
If you listen to Wired to Hunt podcast#206 featuring Joel Turner, he covers all the same stuff that I will tell you.
He also talks about why auto pilot is a bad thing. The main two being, it frees your mind to think about things other than being in the moment of working through the shot step by step.
You are thinking about how big of a hero you are gonna be when you drag this 10 pointer out of the woods while auto pilot takes the shot.
Auto pilot is a form of target panic which leads to full blown target panic.
:violence-bowandarrow:
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:07 am

It sure sounds like technically you have a much better understanding of this stuff than I do. I've thankfully never gone through a bout of problematic TP in 30 years of regular shooting. Auto pilot is probably an overstatement of where im at and comfortable. At this point i feel I have shot and practiced enough to have developed a routine that I trust and am confident in in the moment of truth to believe in what I'm doing. I fear iverthinking more than anything. When I feel off I'm usually overthinking. Perhaps I'm doing it all wrong, but I feel confident at the moment and my results over the last five or so years echo that confidence so I'm personally reluctant to seek change in that. If I break down at some point I'll rethink it and work my way out of it.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:32 am

I myself have never had target panic. During those couple seconds before arrow release. I'm focused on nothing but shot. Everything else is blocked out. Been that way with me for 25 years. My success ratio is 100% for last 10 years. I will revaluate if need comes to front. I try to keep everything as simple and clear minded as possible. I also shoot one pin sight to avoid any distraction.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:45 am

I pick a spot and send the arrow. When I shoot with my training wheels I still pick a spot but move my pin up toward the spot. When all is in line, cut it loose and watch em drop.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”